U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6269
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 am

Diggin on the left hand control panel .....
anselmi wrote:
Image




Right up there with the Yamaha CS-80 .... well, almost.

Image
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3919
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Post by anselmi » Sun May 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Diggin on the left hand control panel .....
anselmi wrote:
Image




Right up there with the Yamaha CS-80 .... well, almost.

Image
George said that maybe they will implement the portamente slider to be assignable, that seems to be a great performance since in the videos it looks very playable, like a DJ crossfader

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 am

I sent a short message plus this thread to one of the folks that is going to help distribute the Super 6 to comment on the key overhang. He said they're considering it but no promises due to the whole process of doing so.

I'd love to see this synth succeed and see what UDO can pull off in the years to come.

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:07 am

Post by Low Life » Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Diggin on the left hand control panel .....
Right up there with the Yamaha CS-80 .... well, almost.

Image
That's a VST. This is the CS-80:
Image

User avatar
slumberjack
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 am

Low Life wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:Diggin on the left hand control panel .....
Right up there with the Yamaha CS-80 .... well, almost.

Image
That's a VST. This is the CS-80:
Image
:hihi: :party: :yay: :cloud: :banana: :tu:

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am

Low Life wrote: That's a VST.
I thought that was an extremely well-specced synth from the 70s there!

This will become more and more common in all walks of modern life.... discerning reality from simulation will become increasingly tricky. The revenge of the (IT) nerds has only just begun... another topic.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5977
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 am

Panason wrote:
Low Life wrote: That's a VST.
I thought that was an extremely well-specced synth from the 70s there!

This will become more and more common in all walks of modern life.... discerning reality from simulation will become increasingly tricky. The revenge of the (IT) nerds has only just begun... another topic.
For example, you can't be real.

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Tue May 28, 2019 11:51 am

I am hyperreal bro

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
Common Wiggler
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 pm

It sounds so good. I was definitely getting some Juno/80's Roland vibes from it. I like the black/dark gray one, but that blue one is just amazing.
"...whose life is a quest for impossible things like flowers in concrete or like trying to pluck a note of music out of the air and put it under glass to treasure." -Rod Serling

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Can’t wait for this thing!

Hard to identify what will become future classics in such a saturated market but I think they hit it with this one. This + OB-6... modern poly classics.

Divinital
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 am
Contact:

Post by Divinital » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am


User avatar
onthelees
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Post by onthelees » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:07 am

New Video from Sonic State: [video][/video]

Lots of progress. Sounds even better to me...

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:53 am

Major GAS!
LOL @ Roland - This is a juno/jupiter for the 21st century!

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2582
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:29 am

onthelees wrote:New Video from Sonic State: [video][/video]

Lots of progress. Sounds even better to me...
Sounds good...better than Jupiter-X demos I've heard, same price too...early days still though.

Seems like everyone is "out-Rolanding", Roland, these days.

Loland.

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Post by Xmit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:41 am

long story short....spent a bit of time on the Super 6 at Synthfest : a little bit underwhelmed I'm afraid.

*But* it's often really hard to tell in that environment isn't it.

Build quality, keybed etc all really good though.

Perhaps it's partly that I'm just not that into the whole standard polysynth paradigm generally much these days...
It was very 'clean' - maybe too much.
Having finally played both a Peak & an OB-6 I must say I preferred both of those.

However...& I'll reply to that thread : HYDRASYNTH beats all...nearly...

User avatar
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: PA in the ol' USA

Post by digitalganesha » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:12 pm

I don't know... I only have YouTube videos to go from and that's not saying much. However, I can ascertain the magic in the Super 6 shining through them even, and that's a rare quality to have in sound. This thing sounds alive to me. It has something special sonically in my opinion, and that's a hell of thing to say given how awful the designer is at playing a synthesizer! :mrgreen:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3919
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Post by anselmi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 pm

digitalganesha wrote:I don't know... I only have YouTube videos to go from and that's not saying much. However, I can ascertain the magic in the Super 6 shining through them even, and that's a rare quality to have in sound. This thing sounds alive to me. It has something special sonically in my opinion, and that's a hell of thing to say given how awful the designer is at playing a synthesizer! :mrgreen:
+1

really special sound, with a vintage Roland-ish vibe but also modern, in fact this is what Roland should release instead of their actual stuff
for me this is the real new juno

features are amazing for a polysynth, with loopable envelopes that can go audio rate and track the keyboard (same for the LFO), also crossmod, beautiful sounding analog SSM filters, fx and hands-on interface

and they promised wave loading for oscillator 2

also: gorgeous look and what seems to be great construction

all this for 2800 isn´t mad...I think it´s a fair price


finally I found the polysyth to replace my sold nord lead 2x

Divinital
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 am
Contact:

Post by Divinital » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:30 am

Anyone snagging the Super 6 over the Novation Summit? I can't decide between the two, I also like the Kyra but it's not really for me.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3919
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Post by anselmi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Divinital wrote:Anyone snagging the Super 6 over the Novation Summit? I can't decide between the two, I also like the Kyra but it's not really for me.
the summit has more synthesis resources for sure, but I think the UDO wins in sound and workflow...the summit/peak lacks this "alive" quality that makes the UDO so special, even in videos it sounds gorgeous and big

I think the kyra is in the middle, maybe closer to the summit, so it could be a good alternative

Divinital
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 am
Contact:

Post by Divinital » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 pm

anselmi wrote:
Divinital wrote:Anyone snagging the Super 6 over the Novation Summit? I can't decide between the two, I also like the Kyra but it's not really for me.
the summit has more synthesis resources for sure, but I think the UDO wins in sound and workflow...the summit/peak lacks this "alive" quality that makes the UDO so special, even in videos it sounds gorgeous and big

I think the kyra is in the middle, maybe closer to the summit, so it could be a good alternative
I feel that, the possibilities of the Summit win but honestly, I'd compare the Super 6 moreso to the OB-6 in terms of that modern alive organic quality so many synths are missing. The sound is full, present, robust, 3 dimensional. I suppose I jumped to comparing them just because they're FPGAs, but I think the Summit and Super 6 are quite different even if base FPGAs can sound similar.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”