MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly
Panason
Are you bankrupt yet???

Sounds super! Rockin' Banana!
calaveras
damn, cant listen at work. But I gotta know more about this binaural synth.
Is there a Fritz head involved?
Rex Coil 7
... it's like hopefully, basically, like essentially, sortof, kindof like basically, we're shooting for, essentially sortof basically ...

Ugh ... d'oh!

... I suppose we'll see how it works out. Time will tell. seriously, i just don't get it
Panason
calaveras wrote:

Is there a Fritz head involved?

Well, at least one shaved head. 'Binaural' basically means stereo oscillators (and stereo filters) as far as I can tell.
I recommend you don't listen if you want to protect your credit card. Let's just say Juno 106 on steroids, lots of sweet spot... You don't need this to make music!
Sir Ruff
It sounds great. Very smooth, sweet. Love the interface and learned about the addition of your own wavetables too, which is rad!
nadafarms
Looks cool but isn’t oscillator panning on a Oberheim poly the same thing as binaural?
RedLab
At first sight I thought it was a modern take on Elka Synthex.

I guess not, but interesting none the less
Jason Brock
Lovely sounds. Glad to see so many companies doing poly keyboards again (Novation Summit too).

Remember a decade ago when everyone would eagerly await trade show news and all we got in return was a Roland Gaia? hihi
anselmi
man...I´m in love... love love love love love

this synth have all what I want...the only thing I´d prefer was a little display for names, but the rest is AMAZING

the sound is great, the layout is great, the look is great, the features, the construction seems to be first class too

love the way he put emphasis on "big and clunky" thing...yeah, this is what I want!
Panason
Looks like the whole enclosure is metal?

The black and white version is hot... it nails a future-retro aesthetic like a worthy successor to Roland's designs..and it's not even finished yet.
Not sure about white knobs and fader caps...

Quote:

Looks cool but isn’t oscillator panning on a Oberheim poly the same thing as binaural?

Maybe here each oscillator is doubled up in some way to generate a stereo signal ?
I wonder if funky doppler-like or leslie efffects will be a thing... by modulating oscillators and stereo position. I think that's what the dude was hinting at, that you don't need as many external fx with this. and of course this is before the filter.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
Maybe here each oscillator is doubled up in some way to generate a stereo signal ? I wonder if funky doppler-like or leslie efffects will be a thing...by modulating oscillators and stereo position.

yes, there is a full double signal path when you enable this mode paned L/R...and then the LFOs can be phase controlled to achieve movement between the both channels...and ace design

Quote:
I think that's what the dude was hinting at, that you don't need as many external fx with this. and of course this is before the filter.

the synth sounds geat without touching the fx, but it has delay adn a juno-ish chorus buttons that I think is more than enough to make massive sounds
Quote:

The black and white version is hot... it nails a future-retro aesthetic like a worthy successor to Roland's designs..and it's not even finished yet.
Not sure about white knobs and fader caps...

All the synth has a strong Roland vibe. The sound is something in between a juno and a jupiter, but with something modern that doesn´t fight the old influences too. Very well done. Sometimes sounds like a Polysix too...I guess this are the SSM filters.

The oscillator section is pretty impressive, with 2 oscillatores, crosmod, ring, sync, and they promised wavetables! The LFO that can go up to audio rate with tracking, as well as the envelopes. Man, there is so much good stuff there, so for me this is the poly to go.

Finally somebody put the effort in the places that matters. I don´t care to pay big money for a product like this.
Panason
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

(Sacha cannot play the keyboard, George)
anselmi
another one

rowsbywoof
help

Don't need this.

So want this.

Sounds amazing.
rowsbywoof
Panason wrote:
(Sacha cannot play the keyboard, George)

Holy crap, you weren't kidding. That freaking tanked the vibe on the second half of that demo. George should have noodled for another 10 minutes. He was nailing it.
insoul8
Damn. Just damn.
jdaddyaz
Really sounds amazing. Cant believe that synth makes all that raw noise. Hope there are enough for everyone.
Aiyn Zahev
I often say to myself "I should get this one day" but I'm very much aware that it's not something I couldn't live without. THIS though is such a perfect 100% must buy. I can't wait till it's actually available.
jonne74
It sounds lovely, but the price is way up there at £2000-2500.
BugBrand
George Hearn knows his stuff!
I heard about it at the start of the year and am impressed that him and the rest of UDO have moved it forward so much.
Sounds great for sure!
SweetNuthin
Best thing at Superbooth for me.. god, it's sound gorgeous
Panason
When he did the binaural sine waves I almost came a little
acidbob
It sounds and looks amazing ! cool

Edit: Think I will have to save up some money ! I am going to have to buy it.

When will it be out? estimated
a100user
acidbob wrote:

When will it be out? estimated

Hoping for autumn is what he says on the sonicState vid
Purveyor2
Time to start saving, I’m loving the super 6.
neonmercury1
I was starting to consider buyin an ob6 and ringing in a poly but this thing is a no brainer. between this and the pulsar im gonna be realll broke this year.
h4ndcrafted
The supersaws sounded great , but I would of preferred some simpler sounds to understand the character a bit more.

Also, yeah , the first guy should of kept on playing. Seemed like the second guy was trapped between programming and just playing something tbf.
nodog
I think you guys are a little bit harsh on the second guy. He did some slightly different stuff with it and complemented George quite well. This presentation as a whole was obviously totally unrehearsed and quite charming if I may say so.
dubonaire
Sounds so lush!
milkshake
Could this be the best sounding poly synth ever?
Panason
nodog wrote:
I think you guys are a little bit harsh on the second guy. He did some slightly different stuff with it and complemented George quite well. This presentation as a whole was obviously totally unrehearsed and quite charming if I may say so.

While I like the unrehearsed aspect of the presentation, that clown totally blagged his way on stage for his 5 minutes of fame by lying to George that he can play the keyboard... enough with this internet culture of faux politeness. That guy can F off hihi
slumberjack
wow that stereo mode makes the kh310 move around my studio...
anselmi
h4ndcrafted wrote:
The supersaws sounded great , but I would of preferred some simpler sounds to understand the character a bit more.

here´s some little simple waves at the beginning. It´s very short, using just oscillator 2, then he brings up oscillator 1 to a full supersaw effect.
Anyway, this demos shows more subtle and detailed sounds than previous ones.

At 11:50 there´s another example of more simple sounds

The simple waves sounds much simple, of course, but really warm and nice, with the right amount of crispiness and body, and none of the harsh character of some digital oscillators.
The oscillator section here seems to be very well designed and for the first time I heard a DDS/FPGA synth that sounds really good without anything added.
The SSM filters are the ice in the cake, by far my favorite filters for a poly

Man, just hear the resonant bass tones at 9:31...they´re so well done! sounds a cross between a juno and a polysix! I was waiting for a synth that finally kills my GAS for vintage polys and this is it!

calaveras
I wasnt into it until I noticed the blue one.
Also, blue is going to outsell black 3 to 1.

On the second video if you turn up your volume really loud you can hear someone yell 'you suuuuck! get off the stage!' @14:03
anselmi
calaveras wrote:
I wasnt into it until I noticed the blue one.
Also, blue is going to outsell black 3 to 1

agree
the blue one is my new love love

the black (dark grey?) is nice but lacks the sex appeal of the blue one

and talking about this...

anselmi
and here some details pictures of the panel that shows a bunch of features with an excellent choice of parameters and controls that would deliver a very wide palette of sounds

h4ndcrafted
Do those keys over hang the chassis?
anselmi
h4ndcrafted wrote:

yes, but if you look closer, they have a metal piece at each side of the keyboard to protect them
rockmanrock
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

yes, but if you look closer, they have a metal piece at each side of the keyboard to protect them

And underneath? Fresh air?
Dave Peck
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

That's not enough. Anything that hits the front edge of the synth is hitting the plastic keys instead of hitting a metal chassis. It was a problem on the rev III Arp Odyssey and other synths and it's just not a good design choice. They should reconsider.
anselmi
Dave Peck wrote:
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

That's not enough. Anything that hits the front edge of the synth is hitting the plastic keys instead of hitting a metal chassis. It was a problem on the rev III Arp Odyssey and other synths and it's just not a good design choice. They should reconsider.

I agree, but they talk about this with love, so I think this is the final design. Personally I love how it looks, and I´m not planning to move mine a lot (or never) so it´s fine for me. I understand that moving musicians really worry about break some keys though
Panason
Dave Peck wrote:

Agreed!
h4ndcrafted
Given that all keyboards with this type of design end up with people breaking the keys, I’m surprised. This keyboard is made to be gigged.

I fear this is the final design, not a deal breaker , but dumb design on a high end board. Not such a ‘tank’ after all.
Panason
well if the case is all metal it may be possible to DIY bumpers with a drill and some wood ... which would of course also give the synth mo' vintage tone.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
well if the case is all metal it may be possible to DIY bumpers with a drill and some wood ... which would of course also give the synth mo' vintage tone.

in the videos´comments some people just started to complain for the lack of wooden end cheeks meh
h4ndcrafted
Not fan of wooden end cheeks, but it does take a knock better than metal.
Expect to see lots of these modded with ugly end cheeks.

I’m going to fit mine with airbags and an alarm.

@1.27

damase
it does sound pretty awesome, although none of the demos show the stereo unison thing doing anything other than just that, i imagine it is a bit deeper with phase and sync is explored more. the design looks a lot like a jupiter 6, but my main question is, does the arpeggioator work the same way as the jupiter 6 arp? the unquantized nature of it resetting on note on, the perfect range of the knob for small swing adjustments... for me that would be an expensive answer smile
GuyaGuy
Any sign on an animator-type thing like on the Modals?
Birth_Chord
Been waiting for a single poly-synth to accompany my Eurorack and Octatrack setup...

The blue Super 6 really is a beauty...

My wallet...
Rex Coil 7
Dave Peck wrote:
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

I agree! I agree! I agree! t3h 8@nz3r@t3d t3h 8@nz3r@t3d t3h 8@nz3r@t3d Rage! Rage! Rage!

Hammond knows whats up ......

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Rex Coil 7
Diggin on the left hand control panel .....

anselmi wrote:

Right up there with the Yamaha CS-80 .... well, almost.

anselmi
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

anselmi wrote:

George said that maybe they will implement the portamente slider to be assignable, that seems to be a great performance since in the videos it looks very playable, like a DJ crossfader
Birth_Chord
I sent a short message plus this thread to one of the folks that is going to help distribute the Super 6 to comment on the key overhang. He said they're considering it but no promises due to the whole process of doing so.

I'd love to see this synth succeed and see what UDO can pull off in the years to come.
Low Life
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

That's a VST. This is the CS-80:
slumberjack
Low Life wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

That's a VST. This is the CS-80:

hihi w00t applause This is fun! It's peanut butter jelly time! thumbs up
Panason
Low Life wrote:

That's a VST.

I thought that was an extremely well-specced synth from the 70s there!

This will become more and more common in all walks of modern life.... discerning reality from simulation will become increasingly tricky. The revenge of the (IT) nerds has only just begun... another topic.
dubonaire
Panason wrote:
Low Life wrote:

That's a VST.

I thought that was an extremely well-specced synth from the 70s there!

This will become more and more common in all walks of modern life.... discerning reality from simulation will become increasingly tricky. The revenge of the (IT) nerds has only just begun... another topic.

For example, you can't be real.
Panason
I am hyperreal bro
Shadoweclipse13
It sounds so good. I was definitely getting some Juno/80's Roland vibes from it. I like the black/dark gray one, but that blue one is just amazing.
Birth_Chord
Can’t wait for this thing!

Hard to identify what will become future classics in such a saturated market but I think they hit it with this one. This + OB-6... modern poly classics.
Divinital
UDO Super 6 Product Presentation

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/6e38185e068c21088d422e3fd/files/55a1e750 -64ba-4592-8f26-966bedac38d7/UDO_Super6_Introduction.pdf
onthelees
New Video from Sonic State:

Lots of progress. Sounds even better to me...
Panason
Major GAS!
LOL @ Roland - This is a juno/jupiter for the 21st century!
nectarios
onthelees wrote:
New Video from Sonic State:

Lots of progress. Sounds even better to me...

Sounds good...better than Jupiter-X demos I've heard, same price too...early days still though.

Seems like everyone is "out-Rolanding", Roland, these days.

Loland.
Xmit
long story short....spent a bit of time on the Super 6 at Synthfest : a little bit underwhelmed I'm afraid.

*But* it's often really hard to tell in that environment isn't it.

Build quality, keybed etc all really good though.

Perhaps it's partly that I'm just not that into the whole standard polysynth paradigm generally much these days...
It was very 'clean' - maybe too much.
Having finally played both a Peak & an OB-6 I must say I preferred both of those.

However...& I'll reply to that thread : HYDRASYNTH beats all...nearly...
digitalganesha
I don't know... I only have YouTube videos to go from and that's not saying much. However, I can ascertain the magic in the Super 6 shining through them even, and that's a rare quality to have in sound. This thing sounds alive to me. It has something special sonically in my opinion, and that's a hell of thing to say given how awful the designer is at playing a synthesizer! Mr. Green
anselmi
digitalganesha wrote:
I don't know... I only have YouTube videos to go from and that's not saying much. However, I can ascertain the magic in the Super 6 shining through them even, and that's a rare quality to have in sound. This thing sounds alive to me. It has something special sonically in my opinion, and that's a hell of thing to say given how awful the designer is at playing a synthesizer! Mr. Green

+1

really special sound, with a vintage Roland-ish vibe but also modern, in fact this is what Roland should release instead of their actual stuff
for me this is the real new juno

features are amazing for a polysynth, with loopable envelopes that can go audio rate and track the keyboard (same for the LFO), also crossmod, beautiful sounding analog SSM filters, fx and hands-on interface

and they promised wave loading for oscillator 2

also: gorgeous look and what seems to be great construction

all this for 2800 isn´t mad...I think it´s a fair price

finally I found the polysyth to replace my sold nord lead 2x
Divinital
Anyone snagging the Super 6 over the Novation Summit? I can't decide between the two, I also like the Kyra but it's not really for me.
anselmi
Divinital wrote:
Anyone snagging the Super 6 over the Novation Summit? I can't decide between the two, I also like the Kyra but it's not really for me.

the summit has more synthesis resources for sure, but I think the UDO wins in sound and workflow...the summit/peak lacks this "alive" quality that makes the UDO so special, even in videos it sounds gorgeous and big

I think the kyra is in the middle, maybe closer to the summit, so it could be a good alternative
Divinital
anselmi wrote:
Divinital wrote:

the summit has more synthesis resources for sure, but I think the UDO wins in sound and workflow...the summit/peak lacks this "alive" quality that makes the UDO so special, even in videos it sounds gorgeous and big

I think the kyra is in the middle, maybe closer to the summit, so it could be a good alternative

I feel that, the possibilities of the Summit win but honestly, I'd compare the Super 6 moreso to the OB-6 in terms of that modern alive organic quality so many synths are missing. The sound is full, present, robust, 3 dimensional. I suppose I jumped to comparing them just because they're FPGAs, but I think the Summit and Super 6 are quite different even if base FPGAs can sound similar.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 3