MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTOR SYNTH
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author MOTOR SYNTH
SPIKE the Percussionist
this falls into weird interest category!

https://www.gamechangeraudio.com/motor-synth/

Dave Peck
It's all fun and games until some hipster gets his beard caught in the thing. This is fun!
onthebandwagon
not sure what that guy is on but I think he needs a xanex and I might need one after watching that video
commodorejohn
"Nothing like this has ever been built before?"

Laurens Hammond might like a word with them...
Rex Coil 7
commodorejohn wrote:
"Nothing like this has ever been built before?"

Laurens Hammond might like a word with them...
That's no joke! And I wonder if this motor thing will last over 65 years like the 1952 Hammond M3 that belongs to my wife. Or for that matter her 1955 M3, or my 1962 C3.

I spent less than $30 bucks on repairs of my '62 C3 (pre-amp power caps).

hmmm.....
starthief
Weighs a lot less than a Hammond though Mr. Green
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
It's all fun and games until some hipster gets his beard caught in the thing. This is fun!
lol
Blingley
This looks like a streamlined version of the motor piano they showed at NAMM (Thread)

I still very much want one, only now it looks like it might be affordable.
crowleywaltz
It looks cool/weird but listening to that little demo I'm not hearing much that couldn't be done with any other synth, although it does seem to have a mild fuzzy overdrive thing going on. Curious what the 'accelerate' knobs do
Blingley
crowleywaltz wrote:
It looks cool/weird but listening to that little demo I'm not hearing much that couldn't be done with any other synth, although it does seem to have a mild fuzzy overdrive thing going on. Curious what the 'accelerate' knobs do

Essentially slew/portamento as far as I understand - it controls how fast the motors accelerate, I.E how fast they go up to a given pitch.
calaveras
so it's a Hammond B3?
starthief

1200 euros apparently. For me it's gone from object of moderate curiosity to hard pass.
crowleywaltz
starthief wrote:

1200 euros apparently. For me it's gone from object of moderate curiosity to hard pass.

Oh wow I was expecting half that. The motors do sound pretty cool now that I can actually hear them but that price....
Blingley
calaveras wrote:
so it's a Hammond B3?

Hammonds work with a motor that goes at "fixed" speed spinning a bar that has a number of tonewheels. The sounds are then generated by mixing different tonewheels together, like you would pipes on an organ. Essentially the different tonewheels are multiples of the base frequency of the motor.

This works by having individual motors that accelerate/decelerate, with just a few "tonewheels" each - one for each octave. This allows for things like detuning two motors slightly for beating/"thickness", other non-fixed ratios, and gliding pitch. In addition, optical disks that reflect infrared light are not exactly tonewheels.
Moerdertheke
I hope they still realise the original pedal idea that you can see in the NAMM video. Kind of makes me think of optical tremolos with fixed discs etc. Also wondering how long these discs will ultimately last / what you have to do to keep them running over time.
calaveras
Blingley wrote:
calaveras wrote:
so it's a Hammond B3?

Hammonds work with a motor that goes at "fixed" speed spinning a bar that has a number of tonewheels. The sounds are then generated by mixing different tonewheels together, like you would pipes on an organ. Essentially the different tonewheels are multiples of the base frequency of the motor.

This works by having individual motors that accelerate/decelerate, with just a few "tonewheels" each - one for each octave. This allows for things like detuning two motors slightly for beating/"thickness", other non-fixed ratios, and gliding pitch. In addition, optical disks that reflect infrared light are not exactly tonewheels.

Yeah I know how tonewheels work. I actually found an off brand tonewheel organ in pieces down the street a few months ago. Had all the bits except the keys. Had to give myself a stern talking to about not taking more junk home to tinker with.

The cool thing about the Hammond design is that it's basically like a guitar pickup. The tonewheel has little ridges that vary as they pass through the pickup's field.

You could in theory make a tonewheel organ that is entirely passive, with the wheels spun by foot or coal fired steam whatever.

This product is pretty neat, but yeah the price is a bit above my interest level.
MARK27
I finally broke down and joined the indiegogo. The Motorsynth is just so unique and speaks to me in a way that very few things do.

I'm just paranoid as my one other experience with crowdfunding turned out to be a rip-off. I promised myself I would never do it again.

But Gamechanger has a proven track record releasing the products they said they would. And hundreds of others have also taken the risk with this investment.

The risk here is relatively small, right?
Synth Con Meo
Well stupid or not I also jumped on the band wagon with only an hour or so to go on the Indiegogo campaign. I am just so intrigued about the whole mechanical technology of the thing which is why I am interested in it. Might go well running along side my Lyra-8 (and maybe Pulsar 23 if I buy one of those).
kumarsan
Wow this is cool!! I have heard it 1st time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1