MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rabid Elephant - Portal Kick
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Rabid Elephant - Portal Kick
Sanys
Portal Kick is the new kick drum generator from Rabid Elephant. Taking influence from classic 808 / 909 architectures but building a modern kick drum machine from scratch. There's a unique click generator that imparts a click and transient into the core of the circuit, rather than just layer samples with softer "body" or "boom" elements. There's wavefolding/shaping 3 envelopes that are more natural and unique while also seeking to model the "knee" elements of compression. Taking more basic analogue kick sounds and adding in what the compression would do in a recording chain. It sounds ace and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

cackland
Geez talk about 'old school'... and module real estate!
tonyfromthetigercage
Over-engineered drum module for "under $1000" bucks that I'd have to pay $4000 to get my hands on because the manufacturer actually specializes in building death rays and this is just a little side job so they'll never be able to meet demand.

No thanks.
naturarerum
inb4 salt... Miley Cyrus

beautiful module. nice to see a dedicated kick module with tons of useful stuff front-loaded. like, who'd ever think of putting a S&H on each input? and these dual concentric knobs really seem to make sense function-wise, they're not just here for space compression.
spinalbeatz
naturarerum wrote:
inb4 salt... Miley Cyrus

Too late!
sceledra
My kick drum was under $1k too Band
bc3
tonyfromthetigercage wrote:
Over-engineered drum module for "under $1000" bucks that I'd have to pay $4000 to get my hands on because the manufacturer actually specializes in building death rays and this is just a little side job so they'll never be able to meet demand.

No thanks.

oh damn, here we go....
Funky40
what i see is:
when "he starts out to turn the knobs" is just everything sounding good !
each moment of that knob travel seemed kinda a sweetspot,
and not like, yeah, lets surch for the sweetspot area to get "that good sound".
( which is what i do with my jomox BD module, ......which IS sounding good ......when the sound is dialed in wink )

but would i need to have another BD ? anyway for 5-600$ ?
looks like a module for snobs...........but looks well donne ! lol seriously.
tough call
hawkfuzz
Sounds good. I don't see it happening for me for that much...but I'm sure someone will use it well.
coolshirtdotjpg

No thanks.

Death Rays? hmmm.....
cackland
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

No thanks.

Death Rays? hmmm.....

Didn't see those mentioned in their product release lineup...
nectarios
In that clip I heard from "meh" to decent kicks.
For the price (and having drum modules, filters and envelopes and VCAs + of course a Rytm), its an easy pass from me.

Edit* I am not saying its not worth the cash, as I don't know what the cost of this was, just saying that there are far cheaper and very versatile alternative in the market, both analogue and digital. So basically I am saying this is aimed to towards the rather "wealthy" user spectrum.
drowld
Damn the module seems really cool.
I'm pretty confident that it is a must have module.
The S&H, the knobs and the whole design concept really buy off the difference between this and some other kick modules to me.

Also having sex on a daily basis with my natural gates i wouldnt mind a bit of side action with another rabid module : o o p s :
insoul8
Sounds pretty awesome to me. I kind of went away from separate drum modules in my setup and replaced them all with the black noir though. I do miss being able to sculpt the sounds but the black noir sounds quite good to me. I might have to snag this depending on how close it is to $500 but I can’t fathom spending any more than that on a kick module. I definitely do appreciate their approach to making modules either way.
PhineasFreak
since when is the 'click generator' unique?
Zymos
Came here to make fun of the probable high price/limited availability, but since that seems to be covered, I'll play devils advocate instead:

How would this thread turn out if it was Cwjemann who announced it and not Rabid Elephant?
Jaypee
Can't wait!

Curious how it will compare to Cwejman BLD!
shred
need to hear better sounds away from the floor noise but i'm sure it'll sound great.

so, about that bottom row...?

eyes...
diller
I'll say it again. You can take the engineer out of New Jersey but you can never take the New Jersey out of the engineer.
TemplarK
Jaypee wrote:
Can't wait!

Curious how it will compare to Cwejman BLD!

Yeah I think I'll have to check this out sounds great on the videos DiVkids video shows it off better i think!
cackland
diller wrote:
I'll say it again. You can take the engineer out of New Jersey but you can never take the New Jersey out of the engineer.

I don't see you saying this in the first place.
slumberjack
Zymos wrote:
Came here to make fun of the probable high price/limited availability, but since that seems to be covered, I'll play devils advocate instead:

How would this thread turn out if it was Cwjemann who announced it and not Rabid Elephant?

applause
tonyfromthetigercage
Zymos wrote:

"How would this thread about one company turn out if it was a thread about a completely different company?"

You so smart.

I'm glad the world has someone like you to take on the role of devil's advocate. We definitely don't have enough.
Sanys
NoLegs
Zymos wrote:

"How would this thread about one company turn out if it was a thread about a completely different company?"

You so smart.

I'm glad the world has someone like you to take on the role of devil's advocate. We definitely don't have enough.

meh
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4