MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular Cases, Racks for Racks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Modular Cases, Racks for Racks
Mr. Aloud
The longer I play with modulargrid, the bigger the system is growing. Not exponentially yet, but..... Mr. Green

I´m a bit shy to get a monster box, as I won´t fill that in the near future and can´t really judge how many modules I will need. So the best thing would be a system that grows organically, but still gives the stability of a larger case. The option to change the location and orientation is a bonus, so I can find out if I prefer a space station console or the wall of sound / modular wallpaper.

What are the options to connect multiple 3U/6U cases so they are really connected and won´t topple over? Velcro? Clamps? Is there any system that would allow stacking of cases, maybe even the portable ones?

I´ll probably end up building a some sort of case holder/shelf for ordinary eurorack cases, but I guess there are better ways.
stoiker
Is 19" rack mounting an option for you? I'm thinking of stuff like the Doepfer G6 or TipTop rack ears and rails (happy ending kit or whatever it's called) and so on.
Rex Coil 7

Just something to think about.

pbear :(
Mr. Aloud
Those brackets look stable, will steal this.

19" racks look good too, as I have my other gear in 19"x19"x19" racks anyway, this makes nice buildings blocks and I could just continue that for the modular. Probably going for less depth to save space and for better angular placement.

I was wondering why nobody builds those very flat portable cases with an option to snap two or three of them together, using the same mechanism that holds the lid during travel. But maybe I didn´t search long enough grin
Rex Coil 7
Mr. Aloud wrote:
Those brackets look stable, will steal this.

19" racks look good too, as I have my other gear in 19"x19"x19" racks anyway, this makes nice buildings blocks and I could just continue that for the modular. Probably going for less depth to save space and for better angular placement.

I was wondering why nobody builds those very flat portable cases with an option to snap two or three of them together, using the same mechanism that holds the lid during travel. But maybe I didn´t search long enough grin
I bought a used 16U MiddleAtlantic rack, cost less than $60.00 and shipped free. Those rack cabs are 18 inches deep. Since I have made all of my synth cabs 9 inches deep, cutting the 18 inch cabinet into two 9 inch deep cabinets worked out fine. Which also means I got two 16U rack cabs for $60 bucks! The cab came with rack rails in front and in back. How convenient!!

Here's a crappy pic of the first one ....

Rex Coil 7
... also, look at how Dot Com has made "portable" cabinets that hook together when in use, and when not in use they fit together, face to face, using the hinge/brackets on each side.

Scroll down to the bottom of this linked page to see the lid and hinge/bracket assemblies.

LINK = https://www.synthesizers.com/portablecabinets.html
JohnLRice
You could get a large guitar pedalboard and then put all of your modules in 4ms Pods? Keep like functions and/or complete voices or what ever separated into individual Pods and then you can quickly rearrange and/or combine desired Pods into various systems as needed. It's a more expensive way to go and the shallow depth can be challenging but it's kinda fun and cool since it's a modular-modular! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

I've been playing around with a small version where I added a custom riser to hold a Haken ContinuuMini:

If you want something bigger you could maybe get a drafting table and cover it with Velcro and do the same thing? This one below is only $85:
https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Designs-24-Inch-Vintage-Drafting/dp/B00B 10MKDI?th=1

electricanada
My cases are built from 1/4" plywood. I used bolts and furring strips to attach the top ones to the bottom ones.
Mr. Aloud
That idea using a pedalboard is interesting, looks a bit like reaktor blocks grin I wonder if I would trust velcro with a vertical setup, but for desktop... I will steal that.

Back to the drawing board now, I need to get some ideas written down.
JohnLRice
Mr. Aloud wrote:
That idea using a pedalboard is interesting, looks a bit like reaktor blocks grin I wonder if I would trust velcro with a vertical setup, but for desktop... I will steal that.
Yeah, even though the adhesive is really strong, I don't like to trust adhesive tape for vertical mounting of anything that is going to stick out too far from the surface, especially in warm environments.

Another similar possibility, you could mount sheet steel to the wall with screws and bolt strong magnets to the back of the Pods or similar small light shallow cases? I haven't tried this but I think it might work. hmmm.....
foliephonics
JohnLRice wrote:
strong magnets

around electronics ??? mmm...
JohnLRice
foliephonics wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
strong magnets

around electronics ??? mmm...
I don't think there would be any negative effect? If someone was doing a lot of work with tape machines and had a lot of magnetic tape or floppy disks around then having a lot of powerful magnets near by might not be a good idea? hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1