MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper
bc3
Zymos wrote:
If you want to record quantized to beats, having a clock input makes things much easier. This only has clock outs?

The way I assume quantized recording will work is similar in the way I do it on the ER-301. Use a divided clock signal say from something like Pam's set at the division that matches up with the length you want your loop to be. Send this trigger into the retrigger input and it will fire the loop off in time with the rest of your system. A clock input is really not needed and I always achieve perfectly synced loops on the 301 using this method.
2disbetter
This and the Medusa 2.0 update were what I found to be the most interesting this year at Superbooth. Granted I haven't gone through all of the SB videos yet. Lots of great stuff as usual!
Sinamsis
Any updates on this one? Do we have an ETA?
akavalve
Does this cover any ground that the Morphagene doesn't?
Sinamsis
akavalve wrote:
Does this cover any ground that the Morphagene doesn't?

The biggest thing other than workflow for me is that the two sides can be used individually. But I’m basically asking myself this question.
10 Miles High
Gonna watch this thread. Totally looks like the looper I was dreaming of.

10 Mh
Johnnyfive
I've been using both the DLD and morphagene to loop guitar, and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

This looks pretty much perfect in terms of filling in the gaps, and looks like it will end up replacing the DLD.

Really excited about this, and keen for any more info on release date.
akavalve
Johnnyfive wrote:
I've been using both the DLD and morphagene to loop guitar, and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

This looks pretty much perfect in terms of filling in the gaps, and looks like it will end up replacing the DLD.

Really excited about this, and keen for any more info on release date.

I've got both as well. What are those gaps for you specifically? This module looks really quite nice but I'm having trouble getting my head around what it adds in the context of a Morphagene and a DLD.
Johnnyfive
akavalve wrote:

I've got both as well. What are those gaps for you specifically? This module looks really quite nice but I'm having trouble getting my head around what it adds in the context of a Morphagene and a DLD.

good question! with the DLD, i use a footswitch to turn hold on or off so that I can overdub onto a loop, but it would be really nice to set the initial loop length by using a footswitch (i.e. press once to record, and once more to end loop). also, being able to retrigger a loop would be nice. you can do these things on the morphagene, but it's obviously only one channel. the other thing i find tricky with the DLD is that because you don't know where the "start" of the loop is (without looking at the LED), doing manipulations like changing loop length can have slightly unpredictable results.

You're right that it wouldn't add much functionality that the morphagene doesn't already provide, but I tend to use my morphagene for more creative stuff, as it feels like a bit of a waste to use it just for straight loop playback. and obviously lubadh is two channels in the same space as the morphagene.
akavalve
Johnnyfive wrote:
akavalve wrote:

good question! with the DLD, i use a footswitch to turn hold on or off so that I can overdub onto a loop, but it would be really nice to set the initial loop length by using a footswitch (i.e. press once to record, and once more to end loop). also, being able to retrigger a loop would be nice. you can do these things on the morphagene, but it's obviously only one channel. the other thing i find tricky with the DLD is that because you don't know where the "start" of the loop is (without looking at the LED), doing manipulations like changing loop length can have slightly unpredictable results.

You're right that it wouldn't add much functionality that the morphagene doesn't already provide, but I tend to use my morphagene for more creative stuff, as it feels like a bit of a waste to use it just for straight loop playback. and obviously lubadh is two channels in the same space as the morphagene.

Cool. That makes sense. Thanks for the detail.

Guess we'll see what the final price is...seems like it might actually be up there with the Morphagene.
gringostar
Would love to know if there are any plans to have the speed accept v/oct control.
BlinkyLights
Gripp wrote:
Yup. Looks very interesting indeed. Seems to tick all my boxes for a looper except possibly one. I do need to be able to play and record in reverse. Hoping for that possibility.

Record in reverse?
BlinkyLights
Sunden wrote:
bc3 wrote:
Sunden wrote:
sasbom wrote:
This module will be amazing. I always find myself repeatedly playing the same pattern, so recording it in a looper would make a lot of sense. Does this do overdub as well? That'd be groundbreaking!

I've been searching for something like this for a while now but it just doesnt exist!

Big hype!

You might be interested in checking out Mannequins W/. It is a completely different module in some regards, and very similar to Lubadh in others (especially if you have two W/s). The interface is radically different, but it might intrigue you! Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of interface and how much HP/$$ you are looking to dedicate to your looper.

IMO Mannequins W/ is a disaster in UI design but the sandwich'd 2HP circuit board design is impressive. The only similarity between W/ and Lubadh is that they have audio buffers that play back audio. Don't waste you time with W/ but if you are into cryptic manuals, riddles and poetry go for it! hihi

I think there is more to it than that!

They both allow you to:

- Linearly control tape playback speed in both directions (only via CV with W/)
- Overdub or overwrite tape
- Set up decaying looping feedback/be used as a delay unit (although it looks a little more complicated with Lubadh than with W/)
- Trim loops (though it's less immediate on W/ and not done dynamically w/ CV)
- Both provide clock outputs (using W/s latest firmware update)
- Both provide feedback on loop position (Lubadh using LEDs, W/ using CV ramps - latest firmware)
- Store persistent audio between power cycles (believe it is 6.5 min for Lubadh, >5 hrs for w/)
- Reset to the start of a loop using triggers (W/ can also advance to previous or subsequent loops using an offest mixed with a trigger - I believe this is the "retrig" input on Lubadh)

Probably more I am leaving out, but there are definitely a lot of similarities! Like I said, radically different interfaces, but it is more than just sharing the use of an audio buffer.

The original poster simply mentioned that they wanted to be able to store and record a longer loop of audio, so I do think it is relevant as a suggestion to them!

Interesting. Thanks for spelling that out.
BlinkyLights
bc3 wrote:
Zymos wrote:
If you want to record quantized to beats, having a clock input makes things much easier. This only has clock outs?

The way I assume quantized recording will work is similar in the way I do it on the ER-301. Use a divided clock signal say from something like Pam's set at the division that matches up with the length you want your loop to be. Send this trigger into the retrigger input and it will fire the loop off in time with the rest of your system. A clock input is really not needed and I always achieve perfectly synced loops on the 301 using this method.

That's cool. Thanks for that...
2disbetter
Has anyone gotten one of these? I love this module. The design of the UI is top notch as well.
krell
2disbetter wrote:
Has anyone gotten one of these? I love this module. The design of the UI is top notch as well.

It's not out yet, we're eagerly awaiting its arrival smile
cackland
There hasn’t even been a release date announced
indexofmetals
at Superbooth they said definitely before the end of the year.

Both of the modules sounded fantastic and I've already requested them from the family for my Christmas stocking. I really want to use them for sound on sound but I hope it doesn't have the abrupt clips I get with the magneto (and the Volente) and sounds more like SOS on my tape delays.
bibleblack
Fingers crossed this will be at Leeds modular meet, be amazing to see it
2disbetter
Is anyone aware of a recent video of this? I saw the Divkid Superbooth video, which was great, but I'm wondering if there is anything else since then?
Sandrine
Wow that is a nice lookin' looper! I can't help but think the Reflex LiveLoop had some influence on the functionality. Well done!
mkdvb
Sunden wrote:
bc3 wrote:
Sunden wrote:
sasbom wrote:
This module will be amazing. I always find myself repeatedly playing the same pattern, so recording it in a looper would make a lot of sense. Does this do overdub as well? That'd be groundbreaking!

I've been searching for something like this for a while now but it just doesnt exist!

Big hype!

You might be interested in checking out Mannequins W/. It is a completely different module in some regards, and very similar to Lubadh in others (especially if you have two W/s). The interface is radically different, but it might intrigue you! Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of interface and how much HP/$$ you are looking to dedicate to your looper.

IMO Mannequins W/ is a disaster in UI design but the sandwich'd 2HP circuit board design is impressive. The only similarity between W/ and Lubadh is that they have audio buffers that play back audio. Don't waste you time with W/ but if you are into cryptic manuals, riddles and poetry go for it! hihi

I think there is more to it than that!

They both allow you to:

- Linearly control tape playback speed in both directions (only via CV with W/)
- Overdub or overwrite tape
- Set up decaying looping feedback/be used as a delay unit (although it looks a little more complicated with Lubadh than with W/)
- Trim loops (though it's less immediate on W/ and not done dynamically w/ CV)
- Both provide clock outputs (using W/s latest firmware update)
- Both provide feedback on loop position (Lubadh using LEDs, W/ using CV ramps - latest firmware)
- Store persistent audio between power cycles (believe it is 6.5 min for Lubadh, >5 hrs for w/)
- Reset to the start of a loop using triggers (W/ can also advance to previous or subsequent loops using an offest mixed with a trigger - I believe this is the "retrig" input on Lubadh)

Probably more I am leaving out, but there are definitely a lot of similarities! Like I said, radically different interfaces, but it is more than just sharing the use of an audio buffer.

The original poster simply mentioned that they wanted to be able to store and record a longer loop of audio, so I do think it is relevant as a suggestion to them!

This is exactly the choice I'm weighing up. I have a small 4u 104hp box that already has Magneto in it. I'm putting together another small-ish box, probably 60HP around the Radikal EFFEXX module. I love messing with my old Marantz tape recorder so the promise of a tape module that promises close to the same sound + modern convenience is so enticing + CV mangleability.

But love the idea of the new box with a W/ being more of a playable instrument + 10x smaller + half price. Plus devoting 50HP of my 164HP just to tape delays seems excessive!

Am worried about that UI though & how hard it may be to retain all the commands. Already got too many modules that require cheat sheets as it is.
wvrm
This looks extremely tempting. I'd been eyeing up a Morphagene, but the Make Noise UI is just so unappealing to me, while Instruo nails it.
Funky40
watching Bens Video again, at 2:34 you see Jason adjust the tape position.
It seems to have kind of an "acceleration" built in ( not familiar with Tapes myself )

if my impression on the above is correct:
What would be absolutely amazing to have is a own pot/parameter to adjust that acelleration behave !!
help we're not worthy help

if this works out from a programmers side of things, would "i" put it in there,
and sacrificing that amount of space and work if needed ( ......goes now to church to start a candle or two / .....please please
please )

please vote with a: +1, everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4Bhj6ODOw
guigui
wvrm wrote:
This looks extremely tempting. I'd been eyeing up a Morphagene, but the Make Noise UI is just so unappealing to me, while Instruo nails it.

Isn't Morphagene more like Instruo Arbhar ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4