Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
bc3
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 am
Location: rva

Post by bc3 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:29 am

Zymos wrote:If you want to record quantized to beats, having a clock input makes things much easier. This only has clock outs?
The way I assume quantized recording will work is similar in the way I do it on the ER-301. Use a divided clock signal say from something like Pam's set at the division that matches up with the length you want your loop to be. Send this trigger into the retrigger input and it will fire the loop off in time with the rest of your system. A clock input is really not needed and I always achieve perfectly synced loops on the 301 using this method.

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 am

This and the Medusa 2.0 update were what I found to be the most interesting this year at Superbooth. Granted I haven't gone through all of the SB videos yet. Lots of great stuff as usual!

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4499
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Any updates on this one? Do we have an ETA?

User avatar
akavalve
Common Wiggler
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:47 am
Location: Boston

Post by akavalve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 am

Does this cover any ground that the Morphagene doesn't?

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4499
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 am

akavalve wrote:Does this cover any ground that the Morphagene doesn't?
The biggest thing other than workflow for me is that the two sides can be used individually. But I’m basically asking myself this question.

User avatar
10 Miles High
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 am
Location: Moscow

Post by 10 Miles High » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:07 am

Gonna watch this thread. Totally looks like the looper I was dreaming of.


10 Mh

User avatar
Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Johnnyfive » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 am

I've been using both the DLD and morphagene to loop guitar, and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

This looks pretty much perfect in terms of filling in the gaps, and looks like it will end up replacing the DLD.

Really excited about this, and keen for any more info on release date.

User avatar
akavalve
Common Wiggler
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:47 am
Location: Boston

Post by akavalve » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:34 am

Johnnyfive wrote:I've been using both the DLD and morphagene to loop guitar, and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

This looks pretty much perfect in terms of filling in the gaps, and looks like it will end up replacing the DLD.

Really excited about this, and keen for any more info on release date.
I've got both as well. What are those gaps for you specifically? This module looks really quite nice but I'm having trouble getting my head around what it adds in the context of a Morphagene and a DLD.

User avatar
Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Johnnyfive » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:27 pm

akavalve wrote: I've got both as well. What are those gaps for you specifically? This module looks really quite nice but I'm having trouble getting my head around what it adds in the context of a Morphagene and a DLD.
good question! with the DLD, i use a footswitch to turn hold on or off so that I can overdub onto a loop, but it would be really nice to set the initial loop length by using a footswitch (i.e. press once to record, and once more to end loop). also, being able to retrigger a loop would be nice. you can do these things on the morphagene, but it's obviously only one channel. the other thing i find tricky with the DLD is that because you don't know where the "start" of the loop is (without looking at the LED), doing manipulations like changing loop length can have slightly unpredictable results.

You're right that it wouldn't add much functionality that the morphagene doesn't already provide, but I tend to use my morphagene for more creative stuff, as it feels like a bit of a waste to use it just for straight loop playback. and obviously lubadh is two channels in the same space as the morphagene.

User avatar
akavalve
Common Wiggler
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:47 am
Location: Boston

Post by akavalve » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Johnnyfive wrote:
akavalve wrote: I've got both as well. What are those gaps for you specifically? This module looks really quite nice but I'm having trouble getting my head around what it adds in the context of a Morphagene and a DLD.
good question! with the DLD, i use a footswitch to turn hold on or off so that I can overdub onto a loop, but it would be really nice to set the initial loop length by using a footswitch (i.e. press once to record, and once more to end loop). also, being able to retrigger a loop would be nice. you can do these things on the morphagene, but it's obviously only one channel. the other thing i find tricky with the DLD is that because you don't know where the "start" of the loop is (without looking at the LED), doing manipulations like changing loop length can have slightly unpredictable results.

You're right that it wouldn't add much functionality that the morphagene doesn't already provide, but I tend to use my morphagene for more creative stuff, as it feels like a bit of a waste to use it just for straight loop playback. and obviously lubadh is two channels in the same space as the morphagene.
Cool. That makes sense. Thanks for the detail.

Guess we'll see what the final price is...seems like it might actually be up there with the Morphagene.

User avatar
gringostar
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: The Nameless City

Post by gringostar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Would love to know if there are any plans to have the speed accept v/oct control.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Gripp wrote:Yup. Looks very interesting indeed. Seems to tick all my boxes for a looper except possibly one. I do need to be able to play and record in reverse. Hoping for that possibility.
Record in reverse?

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Sunden wrote:
bc3 wrote:
Sunden wrote:
sasbom wrote:This module will be amazing. I always find myself repeatedly playing the same pattern, so recording it in a looper would make a lot of sense. Does this do overdub as well? That'd be groundbreaking!

I've been searching for something like this for a while now but it just doesnt exist!

Big hype!
You might be interested in checking out Mannequins W/. It is a completely different module in some regards, and very similar to Lubadh in others (especially if you have two W/s). The interface is radically different, but it might intrigue you! Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of interface and how much HP/$$ you are looking to dedicate to your looper.
IMO Mannequins W/ is a disaster in UI design but the sandwich'd 2HP circuit board design is impressive. The only similarity between W/ and Lubadh is that they have audio buffers that play back audio. Don't waste you time with W/ but if you are into cryptic manuals, riddles and poetry go for it! :hihi:
I think there is more to it than that!

They both allow you to:

- Linearly control tape playback speed in both directions (only via CV with W/)
- Overdub or overwrite tape
- Set up decaying looping feedback/be used as a delay unit (although it looks a little more complicated with Lubadh than with W/)
- Trim loops (though it's less immediate on W/ and not done dynamically w/ CV)
- Both provide clock outputs (using W/s latest firmware update)
- Both provide feedback on loop position (Lubadh using LEDs, W/ using CV ramps - latest firmware)
- Store persistent audio between power cycles (believe it is 6.5 min for Lubadh, >5 hrs for w/)
- Reset to the start of a loop using triggers (W/ can also advance to previous or subsequent loops using an offest mixed with a trigger - I believe this is the "retrig" input on Lubadh)

Probably more I am leaving out, but there are definitely a lot of similarities! Like I said, radically different interfaces, but it is more than just sharing the use of an audio buffer.

The original poster simply mentioned that they wanted to be able to store and record a longer loop of audio, so I do think it is relevant as a suggestion to them!
Interesting. Thanks for spelling that out.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:50 pm

bc3 wrote:
Zymos wrote:If you want to record quantized to beats, having a clock input makes things much easier. This only has clock outs?
The way I assume quantized recording will work is similar in the way I do it on the ER-301. Use a divided clock signal say from something like Pam's set at the division that matches up with the length you want your loop to be. Send this trigger into the retrigger input and it will fire the loop off in time with the rest of your system. A clock input is really not needed and I always achieve perfectly synced loops on the 301 using this method.
That's cool. Thanks for that...

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:55 am

Has anyone gotten one of these? I love this module. The design of the UI is top notch as well.

krell

Post by krell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:16 pm

2disbetter wrote:Has anyone gotten one of these? I love this module. The design of the UI is top notch as well.
It's not out yet, we're eagerly awaiting its arrival :)

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:32 pm

There hasn’t even been a release date announced

User avatar
indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:49 am
Location: Isle of Man

Post by indexofmetals » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:50 pm

at Superbooth they said definitely before the end of the year.

Both of the modules sounded fantastic and I've already requested them from the family for my Christmas stocking. I really want to use them for sound on sound but I hope it doesn't have the abrupt clips I get with the magneto (and the Volente) and sounds more like SOS on my tape delays.
Last edited by indexofmetals on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bibleblack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Post by bibleblack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Fingers crossed this will be at Leeds modular meet, be amazing to see it

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 am

Is anyone aware of a recent video of this? I saw the Divkid Superbooth video, which was great, but I'm wondering if there is anything else since then?

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Post by Sandrine » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:04 am

Wow that is a nice lookin' looper! I can't help but think the Reflex LiveLoop had some influence on the functionality. Well done!

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:01 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by mkdvb » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Sunden wrote:
bc3 wrote:
Sunden wrote:
sasbom wrote:This module will be amazing. I always find myself repeatedly playing the same pattern, so recording it in a looper would make a lot of sense. Does this do overdub as well? That'd be groundbreaking!

I've been searching for something like this for a while now but it just doesnt exist!

Big hype!
You might be interested in checking out Mannequins W/. It is a completely different module in some regards, and very similar to Lubadh in others (especially if you have two W/s). The interface is radically different, but it might intrigue you! Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of interface and how much HP/$$ you are looking to dedicate to your looper.
IMO Mannequins W/ is a disaster in UI design but the sandwich'd 2HP circuit board design is impressive. The only similarity between W/ and Lubadh is that they have audio buffers that play back audio. Don't waste you time with W/ but if you are into cryptic manuals, riddles and poetry go for it! :hihi:
I think there is more to it than that!

They both allow you to:

- Linearly control tape playback speed in both directions (only via CV with W/)
- Overdub or overwrite tape
- Set up decaying looping feedback/be used as a delay unit (although it looks a little more complicated with Lubadh than with W/)
- Trim loops (though it's less immediate on W/ and not done dynamically w/ CV)
- Both provide clock outputs (using W/s latest firmware update)
- Both provide feedback on loop position (Lubadh using LEDs, W/ using CV ramps - latest firmware)
- Store persistent audio between power cycles (believe it is 6.5 min for Lubadh, >5 hrs for w/)
- Reset to the start of a loop using triggers (W/ can also advance to previous or subsequent loops using an offest mixed with a trigger - I believe this is the "retrig" input on Lubadh)

Probably more I am leaving out, but there are definitely a lot of similarities! Like I said, radically different interfaces, but it is more than just sharing the use of an audio buffer.

The original poster simply mentioned that they wanted to be able to store and record a longer loop of audio, so I do think it is relevant as a suggestion to them!
This is exactly the choice I'm weighing up. I have a small 4u 104hp box that already has Magneto in it. I'm putting together another small-ish box, probably 60HP around the Radikal EFFEXX module. I love messing with my old Marantz tape recorder so the promise of a tape module that promises close to the same sound + modern convenience is so enticing + CV mangleability.

But love the idea of the new box with a W/ being more of a playable instrument + 10x smaller + half price. Plus devoting 50HP of my 164HP just to tape delays seems excessive!

Am worried about that UI though & how hard it may be to retain all the commands. Already got too many modules that require cheat sheets as it is.

wvrm
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:16 am

Post by wvrm » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:17 am

This looks extremely tempting. I'd been eyeing up a Morphagene, but the Make Noise UI is just so unappealing to me, while Instruo nails it.

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6038
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 am

watching Bens Video again, at 2:34 you see Jason adjust the tape position.
It seems to have kind of an "acceleration" built in ( not familiar with Tapes myself )


if my impression on the above is correct:
What would be absolutely amazing to have is a own pot/parameter to adjust that acelleration behave !!
:help: :hail: :help:


if this works out from a programmers side of things, would "i" put it in there,
and sacrificing that amount of space and work if needed ( ......goes now to church to start a candle or two / .....please please
please )


please vote with a: +1, everybody


[video][/video]

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:32 am

wvrm wrote:This looks extremely tempting. I'd been eyeing up a Morphagene, but the Make Noise UI is just so unappealing to me, while Instruo nails it.
Isn't Morphagene more like Instruo Arbhar ?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”