MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Drum case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Drum case
naturligfunktion
Hello fellow wigglers,

I bought a small skiff case some months ago and been having a bit of panic of what to fill it with. However, after playing around I noticed that what I am really missing with my current setup is more interesting drums. In particular, the kick drum.

So instead of thinking how to create a mega case (that is to make a super synth of both my cases) I rather dedicate this new one solely for drums. The problem is that I am quite green on modular precussion. All that have been done through my drum machine until now.

I therefore turn to you guys for help in this matter. In particular:

1. Interesting drum and precussion modules,
2. Interesting options to sequence these modules,
3. Utilities that are essential for a drum case - machine (I LOVE utilities)

I have started a modular grid thing with the first modules that came to mind. Be aware that the VCO and noise generator is there because, well, they currently are just lying around at my home smile

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view

Any input is happily received
ggillon
For your info BIA makes for an awesome kick drum on top of other drum sounds, and for low HP. If I were you I'd get 2 or 3 BIA just for various drums.

Also you will need a sequencer with a lot of CV tracks for all these inputs.

Basically Eurorack isn't the best bet for drums unless you want to do more weird/glitchy/random stuff.

I do have an Erica Synth Techno system that I love, but there's not much it can do that a more basic Drum box can't and it is much more expensive and takes much more space.

Other stuff important for a drum system; a reverb, gate sequencer or random gates, EG and VCA for STO and noise

Mixers, more mixers, even more mixers
ggillon
Quote is note edit d'oh!
kwaidan
The Intellijel Steppy is pretty powerful for a small sequencer.

You could use some envelopes and VCAs to shape the noise output.

The ModBase is extremely powerful and sounds great. Check its depth. It will fit in a Moog or MakeNoise case, but not some of the shallower cases like the ones by 4ms.

I also have the Erica modules. The kick, snare, and A hats are my favorites.
presidentofvice
Launch Codes is a great little sequencer to have. 6hp. 5 channels. I use it to augment grids and other bits. Sometimes it's nice to jam in some quantized patterns by hand.

Also logic modules.
void23
Here's what I'm currently using ... A few "left over" modules, a way to integrate with an external drum machine, and then some fun sequencers and utilities focused on clock and trigger manipulation.

Foghorn
I have to agree that Grids is a fun percussion sequencer.
It is not really programmable, but can be tweaked to make many types of percussion patterns.
Plonk is another powerful module for percussion sounds.
Plonk does not really have canned sounds like the Hats 808, or Peaks, but can create many types of percussion sounds.
It does require some modulation sources, especially for pitch and the X and Y parameters.
The Disting will provide a number of modulation sources but you may want to get several envelopes.
I use a pair of Ladik C-041 dual envelopes as well as some Ladik S-075 burst generators to modulate all number of percussion voices.
I will admit that most of my "drum" sounds come out of a Delptronics LDB-2E (little drummer boy).
I waited for a year to get that, and ended up with all the rest of my percussion modules in the interim.

Foghorn

Percussion rack (huge)

Another sort of sequencer that I totally love is Tiptop Trigger Riot.
Also don't forget to modulate Grids.
Especially Grids's Map X and Y inputs.
lauprellim
Panic is not good.

I am working with 2 BIAs, a Plonk, 2hp mixer, lots of modulation sources and some random elements (e.g. Marbles). BIA is really, really amazing. I don’t have a lot of experience but already had some minor successes — hoping to build on it this summer. Good luck!!
absolve
All of the Hex Inverter Mutant Drum modules are awesome and flexible
void23
Foghorn wrote:
I have to agree that Grids is a fun percussion sequencer.
It is not really programmable, but can be tweaked to make many types of percussion patterns.
Plonk is another powerful module for percussion sounds.
Plonk does not really have canned sounds like the Hats 808, or Peaks, but can create many types of percussion sounds.
It does require some modulation sources, especially for pitch and the X and Y parameters.
The Disting will provide a number of modulation sources but you may want to get several envelopes.
I use a pair of Ladik C-041 dual envelopes as well as some Ladik S-075 burst generators to modulate all number of percussion voices.
I will admit that most of my "drum" sounds come out of a Delptronics LDB-2E (little drummer boy).
I waited for a year to get that, and ended up with all the rest of my percussion modules in the interim.

Foghorn

Percussion rack (huge)

Another sort of sequencer that I totally love is Tiptop Trigger Riot.
Also don't forget to modulate Grids.
Especially Grids's Map X and Y inputs.

The Disting in my drum rack is essentially perma-patched to the Clocked Sample Playback mode. It's perfect for drum loops.

BTW ... That's a monster rack. Love all the Ladik modules. They make good, simple, cheap stuff. They really need better modulargrid pictures though, the bad color balance on what they post makes them look cheap or badly made.
Parnelli
I've been experimenting with percussion for a while now. I started with Tip Top 808 BD, SD, and hats modules, and I used a Pittsburgh Game System for triggering. As one might expect the results were very canned sounding, with no life at all.

I picked up other modules along the way, and I learned to use my two Mother 32's for percussion full voices, then I got a Plonk, and that was a game changer. Now I had toms along with other options, and I could pretty much make a full trap set.

Bitch is it sounded like canned percussion with no life.

Then I started messing around with timing, I picked up a 4ms Shuffling Clock Multiplier and breakout kit, built it, and finally I could get some things to move around a bit, bit it was still very dry and stiff.

I've went through a few logic modules like a Plog and cmos Party Logic to shake things up a bit; I have a Pittsburgh Time Runner, Game System, a Trigger Riot (admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time with it) and a couple of Maths that I have used to generate percussion sounds, still I was not satisfied.

So as I was sulking about in the mire of canned drums I decided to get a Befaco Burst to liven things up. As I was saving up for that a sale came and Qu-bit Pulsar went on sale; I'm thinking hey... I can get 4 burst engines instead of one, so I got it instead of the Burst.

I was disappointed at first, as I couldn't quite get the burst results I desired, so I went ahead and ordered the Befaco and set the Pulsar aside for a while.

Then one day I was messin' with some drums and decided to put the Pulsar in line to make a beat; I wasn't really gaining any new ground until I started really getting to know the Pulsar, and the damned thing is a drum monster in my book!

I can make very cool syncopated rhythms now; between the Pulsar and the other logic modules I have I've finally found that groove I've been looking for!

I can't imagine what I could get out of four Plonks and a Pulsar... the possibilities are mind boggling!

Hope that helps!
naturligfunktion
Thanks for the great response everyone! smile

I also think the BIA seems to be crazy ass dope, so that will probably be the first module I get. I do ponder what sort of sequencer that will be good for this tho. When it comes to drums for me, it is very important that I just can punch out where the hits should be (like any other drum machine sequencer). I think the beatstep might be good for that, which also would free up a lot of space in the rack above.

This brings us to modulation and mixing, and envelopes. Im a bit lost here. Currently I use a maths for everything, and it's great for hihats actually. The OR outputs two combined triggers that goes through channel 1 & 4. Works like a charm. I would like something similar I think, but it would be fun to try something different than maths, maybe a mixer module and several envelope modules? And VCAs... I think im gonna check out Ladik. Heard a lot of good about them

Parnelli I do actually have a Shuffling clock multiplier stuffed away in a box. Maybe I should get the break out to. However, have you any experience of trigger delays? I know Steevio seem to use them for some sort of shuffling rhythm. Also, I will check out the Pulsar. Completely new module for me.

Thanks again for every response, I tried to reply to everyone in this long message. My panic level has now decreased by roughly 95 % grin
void23
naturligfunktion wrote:

I also think the BIA seems to be crazy ass dope, so that will probably be the first module I get. I do ponder what sort of sequencer that will be good for this tho. When it comes to drums for me, it is very important that I just can punch out where the hits should be (like any other drum machine sequencer). I think the beatstep might be good for that, which also would free up a lot of space in the rack above.

This brings us to modulation and mixing, and envelopes. Im a bit lost here. Currently I use a maths for everything, and it's great for hihats actually. The OR outputs two combined triggers that goes through channel 1 & 4. Works like a charm. I would like something similar I think, but it would be fun to try something different than maths, maybe a mixer module and several envelope modules? And VCAs... I think im gonna check out Ladik. Heard a lot of good about them

Parnelli I do actually have a Shuffling clock multiplier stuffed away in a box. Maybe I should get the break out to. However, have you any experience of trigger delays? I know Steevio seem to use them for some sort of shuffling rhythm. Also, I will check out the Pulsar. Completely new module for me.

Thanks again for every response, I tried to reply to everyone in this long message. My panic level has now decreased by roughly 95 % grin

First you can get away with using the BIA without a VCA, but it does love itself some modulation. It pairs really well with something like a Voltage Block.

Maths can make a nice trigger delay. As for a sequencer, a BSP is fine for this stuff.
Parnelli
naturligfunktion wrote:

Quote:

I have two Maths that I've used for trigger delay. I experimented with them and found I could place my snare drum anywhere I wanted pretty much, but I couldn't change the beat much. I put a clock signal into ch1 trigger, jump ch1 EOR to ch4 trigger, ch4 EOR is delayed depending on how you set the rise fall times of channels 1 and 4.

I have the breakout with the SCM, and it will rotate/shuffle/skip with CV.
naturligfunktion
void23 & Parnelli Im definitly gonna get myself another maths then.

Anyways, thanks for the responses and good advice. Probably gonna start with a BIA and take it from there.

Cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1