Instruo arbhar granular processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Post by Mashmore » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:05 pm

:popcorn:

@wvrm Im thinking this will pair very well with the morphagene. I'm Hoping the release is announced at least a couple days in advance. Just give me enough time to sell a module or two :) Really looking forward to this one!

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Post by behndy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:30 pm

annnnnnnnny ideas for release date?

i would LIKE one.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

User avatar
guigui
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Really looking forward to hear more about this module.

I was planning to get a Morphagene but now I'll need some practical comparison.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:42 am

Any news on release date at alllll? GASing hard.

User avatar
Severed head
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

Post by Severed head » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 pm

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:...after $20k of modular gear in less than a year :
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

User avatar
Antlerface
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by Antlerface » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Severed head wrote:
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:...after $20k of modular gear in less than a year :
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That's Australian dollars so like $43.50.
doomlove.

My Eurorack

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3207
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Newsletter alert says dealer pre-sales begin tomorrow, so it looks like Jason is pretty much on track.

Quick start:
https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... kstart.pdf

User avatar
guigui
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Could somebody much smarter than me explain what exactly is the difference of this module to Morphagene?

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3207
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:46 pm

guigui wrote:Could somebody much smarter than me explain what exactly is the difference of this module to Morphagene?
The differences are numerous. For one thing, Arbhar isn’t really about tape manipulation techniques, it’s really more granular-oriented. I would probably compare Arbhar more to Clouds than Morphagene, although Clouds is stereo and real-time processing, whereas Arbhar is mono (in) and more about deriving granular sounds from its six non-volatile buffers.

The video in this post is a decent overview:
viewtopic.php?p=3064596#3064596

User avatar
guigui
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:23 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
guigui wrote:Could somebody much smarter than me explain what exactly is the difference of this module to Morphagene?
The differences are numerous. For one thing, Arbhar isn’t really about tape manipulation techniques, it’s really more granular-oriented. I would probably compare Arbhar more to Clouds than Morphagene, although Clouds is stereo and real-time processing, whereas Arbhar is mono (in) and more about deriving granular sounds from its six non-volatile buffers.

The video in this post is a decent overview:
viewtopic.php?p=3064596#3064596
Yeah, now I realize it was a pretty stupid question.

I'm really interested in this one.

Hazza26
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by Hazza26 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:47 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:whereas Arbhar is mono (in)
Oh crap, really? I was really hoping for stereo.

I've had my sights set on this for ages, but the day it's pre-released the Mordax Granular pops up on my radar! Thoughts between the two?

User avatar
JES
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by JES » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Hazza26 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:whereas Arbhar is mono (in)
Oh crap, really? I was really hoping for stereo.

I've had my sights set on this for ages, but the day it's pre-released the Mordax Granular pops up on my radar! Thoughts between the two?
Neither exists as something you can buy or use right now. So I’d call it a toss-up.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3207
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Pre-order is up at Control—$579—expected December delivery

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/arbhar

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:10 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:Pre-order is up at Control—$579—expected December delivery

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/arbhar
Very nice :)

User avatar
Sanys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: Saint CV

Post by Sanys » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Hazza26 wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:whereas Arbhar is mono (in)
Oh crap, really? I was really hoping for stereo.

I've had my sights set on this for ages, but the day it's pre-released the Mordax Granular pops up on my radar! Thoughts between the two?
would like to know that too

zerodivide
Common Wiggler
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:03 pm

looks amaaaaaazing but to be honest I wish it could also sample stuff off an SD card not just live stuff

User avatar
Sanys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: Saint CV

Post by Sanys » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:14 pm

just watched divkid video from superbooth, insane possibilities.

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5545
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:52 pm

_6 sample buffers (10 second record time each)
:hmm:

wished it had 16 seconds. i doubt that i´d be happy with just 10 seconds.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Funky40 wrote:
wished it had 16 seconds. i doubt that i´d be happy with just 10 seconds.
Curious as to why specifically 16 seconds?

User avatar
Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler
Posts: 1025
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 pm

We all know 19.5 sec is the bees knees

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 pm

cackland wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
wished it had 16 seconds. i doubt that i´d be happy with just 10 seconds.
Curious as to why specifically 16 seconds?
Especially when people don’t have an attention span beyond 6 seconds these days.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

User avatar
motorhead412
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by motorhead412 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 pm

zerodivide wrote:looks amaaaaaazing but to be honest I wish it could also sample stuff off an SD card not just live stuff
I suppose my workaround for this would be to copy samples to Dropbox or something like that then play them on my phone connected to the Arbhar input with a patch cable

User avatar
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am
Location: DC

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:02 pm

One interesting tidbit gleaned from the quickstart guide--apparently Arbhar has delay and reverb. The expander can cv one or the other via the Mod input (default is control over the hold parameter). There's no info about control of delay or reverb on the front panel, so hopefully there's more info in the full manual, or when Jason does a walkthough video. At the very least, you should be able to control the offsets of these (one parameter?) fx.

User avatar
AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:01 pm
Location: Boston

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:33 pm

motorhead412 wrote: I suppose my workaround for this would be to copy samples to Dropbox or something like that then play them on my phone connected to the Arbhar input with a patch cable
I think once you get to that level of workaround, the better solution might be to just go in-the-box and use Ableton or something for that type of granular processing?

But yeah, this module looks *really* nice. I see how it could compliment Morphagene, as the sort of "tape manipulation" versus "granular" mindsets seem similar until you really start working with them, then diverge pretty wildly. Like at the most basic level you can use both do some similar things, but the route they go to get there suggests wildly different other possibilities where there is little overlap.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm

so this cant do any real time processing similar to clouds?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”