Volca NuTube

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Its not out until August right?

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 am

I received my NooB aSS yesterday. I quite like it (esp. for the price).
One question: is that slow start-up normal? It really takes a while for it to "boot".

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:57 am

kay_k wrote:I received my NooB aSS yesterday. I quite like it (esp. for the price).
One question: is that slow start-up normal? It really takes a while for it to "boot".
I don't have a Nub Ass yet. But the other Volcas boot snappily enough. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware, as there was a bunch of new Volca firmwares released just a few days ago.

CoreInside
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CoreInside » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:10 am

Haven't got the dough at the mo. But I'm planning on getting 4 nubass and 1 volca drum and making an album with that

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:11 am

I'm sure I'll have one eventually ... likely at the used price.

col
Wiggling with Experience

Post by col » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 pm

I guess the slow startup is the Nutube warming up. :twisted:

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am

about 15seconds warm-up .. same as mine

Things I really like:
- two level accent
- good raw sound
- attack on the envelope
- the price!
- the "tune = +/-0" indication

I find some things that I'd like to be different..
- ability to mute the original oscillator and only use the sub
- drive should be going much further
- visual feedback of the LFO (maybe the blueish LED of the mask around the nutube could do that)
- i find the whole bulky window stoopid, why does it pretend to cover a old style tube? it could just be a flat much smaller window without that bogus blue mask around the nutubes
- overall it is the worst case design of all Volcas, looks like an intern with Coral Draw made that - I really hope someone comes up with a good decal overlay

btw. mine sometimes (really not that often) does a weird thing when I press FUNC: everything blinks shortly and the sequencer stops. anyone else experienced that?

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:25 am

" i find the whole bulky window stoopid, why does it pretend to cover a old style tube? it could just be a flat much smaller window without that bogus blue mask around the nutubes"

Funny, I thought the same thing. Guess they are reeaallllllyyy playing up the "tube" thing.

Do you find the tube does anything?

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:33 am

kinkujin wrote:" i find the whole bulky window stoopid, why does it pretend to cover a old style tube? it could just be a flat much smaller window without that bogus blue mask around the nutubes"

Funny, I thought the same thing. Guess they are reeaallllllyyy playing up the "tube" thing.

Do you find the tube does anything?
well the VCO is one nutube - so I guess it has its own character. :hmm:
The saturation setting of the Suboscillator is also a nutube and that actually sounds really nice.

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 pm

I have many illuminating opinions on this New Tube synth from Korg Volca.

1. One cannot suppose this sounds even a smidgen close to the classic Transistor Bass Three Oh Three. That characteristic sound has been mangled here by the tube tech. If they continue to play up the false claim of "warmth" I am hereby leaving this box in the lurch. This module is clearly a rip off of Eurorack and meant for "dubstep" or "bro-step." Both genres have their place but, c'mon Korg! There are more genres.

2. Whereas the Volca FM, for instance, has a professional lay-out and feature-set, the graphics for the New Tube Bass have the look of a "tinker-toy" or "Lego-set." Coming, as I do, from U.S., I have seen many "Lego-sets" and "Lincoln-logs." The Tube New Bass Korg Volca takes obvious inspiration from these. One claims it is a toy whereas one claims it is "professional." Ha!

3. In the video demonstration the man acts as though the key-strip and knobs are "hot" - touching them briefly and quickly removing his hand. Does this indicate the New Tube Bass tech over-warms the instrument? If so, I must wonder about quality control at Korg (again! My Trident, for instance, needs its caps replaced). I do not feel at all like replacing the New Tube or any caps in the Nu Bass Tube amp.

Lastly, one must think of this instrument as a "killer" of something or else it has little value. I hereby claim the New Tube Bass Korg Volca exists as a Novation Bass Station killer (mk1 not the false mk2, which sounds weak and devolved to anyone with an ear for such things).

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Wha ?

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:55 pm

In terms of distortion and general grime, I got more of that from the LFO and drive sections which don't even use the tube.
So im still not sure what the tube brings to the party really.. Anyway, I wouldn't say it sounds bad at all, indeed I think it's fairly decent for what it is. But I was somewhat disappointed that the sequencer didn't get a few more upgrades. Like how the Volca Drum did, compared to the older Volca Beats.
Step Jump on the Nub Ass would have been properly excellent!

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Luap wrote:In terms of distortion and general grime, I got more of that from the LFO and drive sections which don't even use the tube.
So im still not sure what the tube brings to the party really.. Anyway, I wouldn't say it sounds bad at all, indeed I think it's fairly decent for what it is. But I was somewhat disappointed that the sequencer didn't get a few more upgrades. Like how the Volca Drum did, compared to the older Volca Beats.
mine says Step Jump below the Play button

pattern chaining would have been nice and a way to transpose sequences by semitones but well it's a volca after all

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:28 pm

kay_k wrote:
Luap wrote:In terms of distortion and general grime, I got more of that from the LFO and drive sections which don't even use the tube.
mine says Step Jump below the Play button

pattern chaining would have been nice and a way to transpose sequences by semitones but well it's a volca after all
Doh! How did I miss that?? Thanks! (Well, i've had it less than a week, so thats my excuse) I now like it more :hihi:

Also.. It does have pattern chaining. But its basic to say the least.
Last edited by Luap on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 pm

one should always RTFM :hihi:

col
Wiggling with Experience

Post by col » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 am

Been trying NubAss with a couple of pedals, didn't like my MXR distortion (clone) but seems to go really well with the Kokko Booster. The separate bass and treble control helps to dial in sweet spots and the extra gnarl from the drive really dirties it up.

Boss OC-3 might be a good match.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Mr. Sound Boy King wrote: 3. In the video demonstration the man acts as though the key-strip and knobs are "hot" - touching them briefly and quickly removing his hand. Does this indicate the New Tube Bass tech over-warms the instrument? If so, I must wonder about quality control at Korg (again! My Trident, for instance, needs its caps replaced). I do not feel at all like replacing the New Tube or any caps in the Nu Bass Tube amp.
Not only is the instrument incredibly hot, but the man is making extremely precise adjustments and really feeling it - this is no mere operation of a device but a performer skilfully putting real soul into his wiggling so as to elevate his position to the same level as that of an actual musician. This is Art.

olix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by olix » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:30 am

Any other experiences with the Tube machine?

Darkside
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Darkside » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:14 am

To my ears this whole NuTube thing is some kind of a joke, really. This thing has a killer filter though. If this filter would sit in an original Volca bass, that would be a definite winner, as I somehow don't really dig that original filter of the Volca Bass.
So yeah: I'm currently waiting for the Behringer Td-3 instead - ooops...

olix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by olix » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Two days that I received the baby, I cannot program a single sequence .. I don't find the manual really helpful in this way..
Anyway, I really like the sound of it!

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:17 am

Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
Lastly, one must think of this instrument as a "killer" of something or else it has little value. I hereby claim the New Tube Bass Korg Volca exists as a Novation Bass Station killer (mk1 not the false mk2, which sounds weak and devolved to anyone with an ear for such things).
amoungst the list of nonsense you posted, this one really got me...
I was one of the earliest user of the original bassstation. I know the bassstation2 like the back of my hand. it ''kills''' the original in every single aspect.

Return to “General Gear”