MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

rackmount USB audio interface?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author rackmount USB audio interface?
behndy
sooooo.... any recommendations on a solid rackmoubt USB interface for recording multiple tracks at the same time? last time i tried this i went through 2 or 3 and couldn't find one that could handle Euro level outs. o REALLY don't want to deal with attenuating between outs and recording inputs if possible.

be lovely to have a few more than 8, but at least 8 inputs, USB not Firewire, would looooove about 5 hundy, but mebbe 7 at most?

murp?
BenA718
I use a combination of Focusrite units: the interface is an 18i20 and I have an OctoPre which is attached to the 18i20 via LitePipe. This gives me 16 channels of audio in. I have never had an issue with my Eurorack gear distorting the inputs, Focusrites generally have a very wide dynamic range, particularly the OctoPre which was designed to record drums.

I use a Neutrik patch bay to access the inputs in the back of the units and have the whole thing mounted in the meter bridge of my Middle Atlantic desk.

behndy
hurm. that... is DELICIOUS. i had a Scarlet from Focusrite before and it did something funky with the monitoring i think? there was something that bugged me about it, but will defo look at that. thanks!

i run from module outs into the WMD Performance Mixer, then out the DB25 to 1/4 inch cables to record, so if the jacks are on the back or front it doesn't really matter. going to put it in a little rack (with a patchbay if i get ADVENTUREOUS ENOUGH) under my music desk, next to the computer.
behndy
BenBen7000 - so, that actualllllly looks like the perfect setup. i'm digging it. probably stupid question, can i easily control the volume of the main outs (which would go to my monitors) from the 18i20?

edit - HUH. or. would it work to have a smaller tabletop Scarlet to have a volume knob easily accessible then run the OctoPre over lightpipe to that, hide the OctoPre out of sight? would that give me the 8 ins from OctoPre plus whatever they tabletop interface has?

lol. sorry for the Nooblin questions. only ever used a single USB audio interface at a time.
BenA718
No worries!

You can't see it in the photo, but I keep an SMPro Nano Patch on my desk. It's a passive volume control with mute. I run monitor out from the 18i20 into the Nano Patch and then up to my mains. The reason for this is just in case there is a computer glitch I can mute the volume before the howlrounds start.

Plus, I like having a volume control right next to me instead of having to reach for it.

When I am checking something on the smaller monitors I usually just use an insert cable from the other headphone output of the 18i20.

The patch bay greatly simplifies my life and keeps everything neat.

I have the patch bay mapped to the 18i20 which creates a couple of unused ports but it's better than remembering that input 1 on the patch bay is actually input 3 on the interface, etc.

I have my patch bay mapped as follows:
1-2 unused
3-8 inputs 3-8 of the 18i20 (inputs 1-2 are on the front of the unit)
9-12 unused
13-18 inputs 3-8 of the OctoPre (inputs 1-2 are on the front of the unit)
19 output from the SSL
20-21 Lexicon 1 input and output
22-23 Lexicon 2 input and output
24 output 3 of the 18i20 (for reamping)
h4ndcrafted
MOTU 16a

Usb/thunderbolt/Ethernet

Plus it makes patching a breeze , which you can do from any browser btw.

16 inputs , picked mine up on the bay for 650 of the queens notes.

behndy
Handy Crafty - that looks BEASTY. very cool. i was hoooooping to buy new, have had isues with used interfaces before. and at 15 hundy US that's quite a bit out of my range. BEAUTIFUL though.

All The Bens - VERY cool! thank you so much for the breakdown! i probably will setup my patchbay when the Pulsar-23 drops, until then the 2 Deluge outs are my only Non Modular things i use right now, but i digggg how you're rolling.

ordered the Focusrite OctoPre to hide and an 18i8 to be the main interface/reachable volume control desktop.

thanks!
insoul8
Never had any trouble going from euro direct into my RME interfaces.
BenA718
behndy wrote:
Handy Crafty - that looks BEASTY. very cool. i was hoooooping to buy new, have had isues with used interfaces before. and at 15 hundy US that's quite a bit out of my range. BEAUTIFUL though.

All The Bens - VERY cool! thank you so much for the breakdown! i probably will setup my patchbay when the Pulsar-23 drops, until then the 2 Deluge outs are my only Non Modular things i use right now, but i digggg how you're rolling.

ordered the Focusrite OctoPre to hide and an 18i8 to be the main interface/reachable volume control desktop.

thanks!

Does the 18i8 support Litepipe for the OctoPre? .... [does some Googlin'] ... looks like YES, https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001464789-How-do-I- connect-and-sync-an-external-preamp-unit-with-an-optical-ADAT-output-t o-my-Focusrite-interface-via-ADAT- .

I hope it all works smooth for you! I've never had any issue with my units, but I do have a wordclock cable between them. I don't know how it would work without a wordclock cable, but Focusrite seems to say that it will work according to that link.
BenA718
insoul8 wrote:
Never had any trouble going from euro direct into my RME interfaces.

RME has great preamps; actually, their entire build quality is pretty nuts!
BenA718
h4ndcrafted wrote:
MOTU 16a

Usb/thunderbolt/Ethernet

Plus it makes patching a breeze , which you can do from any browser btw.

16 inputs , picked mine up on the bay for 650 of the queens notes.

That. Looks. Awesome!
behndy
BenA718 wrote:

Does the 18i8 support Litepipe for the OctoPre? .... [does some Googlin'] ... looks like YES, https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001464789-How-do-I- connect-and-sync-an-external-preamp-unit-with-an-optical-ADAT-output-t o-my-Focusrite-interface-via-ADAT- .

I hope it all works smooth for you! I've never had any issue with my units, but I do have a wordclock cable between them. I don't know how it would work without a wordclock cable, but Focusrite seems to say that it will work according to that link.

lol. i didn't even think to CHECK. i just assumed since they were inter-company and one had lightpipe out and the other lightpipe in it would be fineeeee. but yah. it looks like as long as the correct settings are applied should be good?

thaaaaat's another reason i prefer to buy new. so many systems are hodgepodges of mashy mush-ups that i want to be able to return something if it doesn't work properly.

and yesssssh. that Motu looks BOSS.

SOME DAY.
suboptimal
Anyone using a Presonus Studio 1810? I'm running a 2017 iMac. Attracted to the price since I'm not a heavy computer user, but I'd like to replace my long-dead Focusrite with something that provides some flexibility for incorporating a few things. I'm primarily recording to a Zoom R16 so I don't need my interface to do heavy lifting.
behndy
the mixer i had that died was a PreSonus. Studio AR16 i think? i looooved it. plenty of channels, plenty of headroom for hot hot hot Euro levels. very solid beautiful chunka chunk of a mixer.

unnnnntil it caught fire. like. literally. i have a grill shaped scorch mark on my desk.

so..... i'm pretty sure that was a fluke? couldna find anybody else having Anger Venting Scorchy Problems with theirs online, i just got.... lucky?

tl;dr - PreSonus i had was perfect in every way until it became a burnt plastic smelling marshmallow.
jimfowler
I say it all the time: Lynx Aurora. Worth every cent.
BenA718
jimfowler wrote:
I say it all the time: Lynx Aurora. Worth every cent.

It really is. Is that still being made, though? I thought they were discontinued. I sat in on an awesome presentation from Lynx @ last year's AES show @ the Javitz.
suboptimal
behndy wrote:
the mixer i had that died was a PreSonus.

I have the same hesitation with Focusrite due to my experience with my Saffire Pro40, but in my price range they seem to be the best.

I've had several MOTU interfaces over the years and the only one that didn't shit the bed was an Ultralite. I might end up going that route again just to have the expandability.

Would love to pick up a $2500 interface but my money tree got cut down to build my marriage altar.
calaveras
I've been sketched on Focusrite since their platinum range. They totally tricked me with that garbage series of products. They are a weird company that insists on having a pro line of decent workhorse stuff and bunch of consumer junk, and totally confusing the two lines in terms of colors and branding. Like the ISA line or their Dante boxes vs all this Octopre and Clarett stuff.

Jbl does this too.
ranix
I have a Scarlett 18i20 with an ada8200 expander. I really like how I can use the MixControl software to redirect any input to any output, so I can choose which inputs to send to the fx unit or compressor or the sampler dynamically with one click.

I have had some trouble with the 18i20, I have a "first generation" model that has some issues I have to tiptoe around. If everything is set to record and play back at 44.1khz there are no problems. There's a "second generation" model that supposedly fixes the issues with the first generation.

Plusses outweigh minuses for me.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1