MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyphonic wavetable modules vs blofeld vs vst
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Polyphonic wavetable modules vs blofeld vs vst
Dstepatl
Hello,

I am looking at various polyphonic wavetable modules such as the 1010 music synthbox, the e370, the new 4ms SWM or just going for a blofeld module or using serum, which I'm not a huge fan of. The e370's size is a bit of a concern, and I do not necessarily need more than 4 note polyphony, as I already have a prophet rev 2, just looking towards a different polyphonic flavor. I like the looks of the synthbox and its multi purpose potential with other firmware, as well as the touch interface. Price on blofeld could be 385 with sample unlocked. Swm I have to wrap my head around a bit more. No huge rush, just doing my research. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David
Risc_Terilia
385 USD sounds a lot for a Blofeld module, not sure about US market place but I paid £200. At that price it's excellent value for money but it does have bits that have never been solved like LFO midi sync problems.
mdoudoroff
The e370 isn’t really “polyphonic”. Rather, it’s a package of four oscillators. The SWN isn’t really polyphonic, either, unless you squint really hard… unique, though.

It so much depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.
2disbetter
Since you are looking at digital, and are already ready to spend close to a grand on a e370, I would say look at a er-301. More capable, specifically in terms of polyphony.

If you want to spend even more, check out they Percussa SSP. It is a ER-301 times 10. (speaking in terms of processing power)

The advantages to both of these modules is that they can do filtering, effects, and modulation on top of oscillator duties.

1010 modules are good. I had a synthbox for a while and it was good. Got rid of it as I have a 301 and SSP.

You could also try the analog route. 4 or more Doepfer A-111-3s for example.
hemeroscopium
Either get percussa esp or 4x piston Honda mk3 and 4x klavis twin waves to modulate them.
gimber
I recently got another blofeld to replace one I sold a while back. It's capable of some sounds that I had a hard time finding elsewhere. I think the list price went up though, prices all around seem higher on them than when I bought my first one. Still, for the price of a single eurorack oscillator I think it's a good deal.
Dstepatl
The ssp is way out of my price range, I'd probably go for a ti2 at that price. I do like the synthbox, though. I may go for that. The 301 sounds cool as well, but I've heard it has a steep learning curve, and I'm looking for something that will come in and integrate well into my current workflow of sequencing out of fl studio and recording 8 bars at a time. I work in hiphop/trap with a sound in between metro boomin and old organized noise, with some influence from dre. Lot of 808s and moog bass lines, and looking for a digital melodoc sound to mix in with my mostly analog sound. The other digital osc I use is rings, but that's more for acoustic type sounds.

Thanks for all of your help.
kwaidan
I built a four voice system with the Flame 4vox, but in the end, I sold it and went with a Waldorf Microwave XT. With all the knobs, you get the modular experience, and the sound is beautiful. Never once have a regretted my decision.

To get true polyphony, you need to times 4 everything along the audio path, which adds up quickly. Filters are especially problematic, although you may get away without one with a wavetable voice.
Dstepatl
2disbetter wrote:
Since you are looking at digital, and are already ready to spend close to a grand on a e370, I would say look at a er-301. More capable, specifically in terms of polyphony.

If you want to spend even more, check out they Percussa SSP. It is a ER-301 times 10. (speaking in terms of processing power)

The advantages to both of these modules is that they can do filtering, effects, and modulation on top of oscillator duties.

1010 modules are good. I had a synthbox for a while and it was good. Got rid of it as I have a 301 and SSP.

You could also try the analog route. 4 or more Doepfer A-111-3s for example.

I think the synthbox is what I am leaning towards. I just dont like the blofeld interface, and the ssp and 301 are just a bit expensive and difficult to learn it seems. I think this may give me my best bang for the buck. Do you have any criticisms or things I should know about it? Having trouble finding a lot of info from users, and demo videos. The limited sounds I've heard are outstanding, though. I also like that I can integrate my analog filters such as the korgasmatron 2 that I have, and other euro modules.
Dragonaut
My copy of Serum doesn’t get the attention it deserves although I’ve created some of my most unique and standout sounds from it. Bazille is my go-to polyphonic synth just because I’ve spent so much time with it. Serum might not seem that sexy but if you think of the money and effort involved in building a polyphonic modular wavetable synth things kind of come into perspective a bit. If you go the e370 route you might even find yourself building wavetables in Serum to export. It’s really great for creating your own wavetables and leads to very gratifying sound creation.
autopoiesis
I'd take a hard look at the Novation Peak given what you're considering. end-all wavetable + analog poly synth for me, don't miss my Blofeld since getting one. and IMO patching polyphonic voices in Eurorack is a pain in the ass and wallet
void23
Dstepatl wrote:
Hello,

I am looking at various polyphonic wavetable modules such as the 1010 music synthbox, the e370, the new 4ms SWM or just going for a blofeld module or using serum, which I'm not a huge fan of. The e370's size is a bit of a concern, and I do not necessarily need more than 4 note polyphony, as I already have a prophet rev 2, just looking towards a different polyphonic flavor. I like the looks of the synthbox and its multi purpose potential with other firmware, as well as the touch interface. Price on blofeld could be 385 with sample unlocked. Swm I have to wrap my head around a bit more. No huge rush, just doing my research. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

What are you trying to do with Poly and how deep are you into modular? I just got the Chord 2 and like it quite a bit. Wave tables, chords, and poly. Not as deep as the E352/E370, but loads of fun.
Monotremata
Risc_Terilia wrote:
385 USD sounds a lot for a Blofeld module, not sure about US market place but I paid £200. At that price it's excellent value for money but it does have bits that have never been solved like LFO midi sync problems.

Thats $385 with the sample feature though. Might be a tad high but I bought mine new so I paid more than that for it without the sample capability heh.

I really dig the Blofeld, but Im a Waldorf fanboy. Ive owned the MicrowaveXT for almost 20 years and had a Micro Q (<-See the forum avatar) almost as long so naturally I was gonna get one. Its like both of those synths on crack. Waldorf isn't the only player in the game anymore though. I kept the NW1 off my list because I have those and I wanted my modular to do something different so it went the west coast way. I really dig the demos of Pigments and Serum Ive played with, but they each have their own sound to em and each one does things a bit different in the modulation department (Pigments has a Turing Machine mode for the sequencer!). If you can I would try them out. Waldorf is a pretty set in stone type of sound, they've built their legacy on it and its rad. But the others are pretty awesome and each one brings something different to the table. Demo demo demo. Im not sure if Waldorf has a demo of the Largo AU/VSTi or not but you can try that if a Blofeld isn't available. Its the Blofeld in virtual form with a couple extra tweaks here.
rew_
get the blofeld. it costs half as much as some of the modules you're considering and modular is bad at poly.

also Blofeld is really cool and underrated.
Phase47
+1 Blofeld for polyphony.
Risc_Terilia
I'm honestly not that fussed about the sample playback part - you can use custom wavetables without it.
2disbetter
After seeing some of the comments here, I find that the suggestion to get a Peak instead of a Blofeld is solid advice. Future proofs your purchase as well.
Neo
Flame 4VOX is worth a look. It has a midi input on the front panel. It has 4 wavetable VCO's and each VCO can play up to 4 voices. So it's possible to get up to 16 voices playing simultaneously, although it only responds to 4 midi notes at once. So think of it as a 4 voice, 4 oscillator wavetable synth. You can load your own wavetables via midi. And it sounds great.
Chopper
My blofeld is still with me after all this time as it can go in all the places my other synths won't go. Undisputed king of pads and textures.
helix
I got a blofeld once, brand new. MIDI sync issues and a bad cutoff potentiometer that didn't change the cutoff properly had me send it back, and buy a virus ti. This was about 6 years ago.

Then about 1.5 years ago i tried a blofeld again. MIDI issues still rife with it, LFO's wouldn't sync, ARP wouldn't sync up either. No matter what i did. Totally useless

Sold it again, and then bought a doepfer DIY kit and a IKEA RAST case and started on my way..
helix
I also found the blofeld to sound very nice indeed and relly enjoyed making pads with it.

But it wasn't hands on enough for me either. The Virus TI sounds rich and deep and evolving when you want it to as well. Very filmic and dark textures. I'd pick one of those up. It's true the wavetables aren't all that great on their own but it's got lots of modulation and distorion options, with a pretty nice wavefolder that can bring life to patches that have volume automation.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1