MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

At what point do you monitor through the Mixbus?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author At what point do you monitor through the Mixbus?
Gringo Starr
I know some people who start monitoring through their mixbus while they’re still tracking. I’m curious at what point some of you set up your mixbus and if there’s a reason why you start monitoring through the mixbus at that stage.
BenA718
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if anyone uses effects on their 2-bus and starts the process by monitoring through these effects?

If so, the answer should be yes. You should always have the final sound in mind when you start recording. If you use effects on your 2-bus those should be present throughout otherwise it will skew your mix one way or another.

I use a little mid-side EQ when I mix and I keep it on throughout the entire process from demo to final mix.

Hope that helps!
Gringo Starr
Mixbus referring mainly to compression and eq on the entire mix.
BenA718
Gringo Starr wrote:
Mixbus referring mainly to compression and eq on the entire mix.

Cool. Yes, I keep them up the entire time.
Michael O.
Always when mixing; when tracking I sometimes alternate between the monitor mix (that for instance the performers would hear, assuming it’s a client project) and the main mix bus.

Additionally, if I’m going to mix into a compressor I’d have that patched in and setup before bringing up the track faders. There aren’t really scenarios where I’d mix into eq, though.
chvad
Never when tracking or mixing. When I'm done with the mix MAYBE... unless it's going to someone else to be mastered.
BendingBus
Yeah, I've done that before. But it's just another thing you have to keep your eyes (ears) on, and so I cut it out. I know the curves on an API EQ, I know an LA2A is about 10ms attack / long release / 4:1, etc. So while I'm tracking I'm just slapping on digital equivalent eq/comp settings, so that I'm hearing approximately how it will be later in the mix, while laying down the rest of the tracks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1