MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a high quality audio interface for little $$ ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author a high quality audio interface for little $$ ?
lilakmonoke
i have a french house producer staying with me over the summer and we just set up a nice studio for him with a small mixer and a few instruments.

now he needs to buy a simple audio interface and i highly recommend at least good sound quality. needless to say he has little $$ so we will buy second hand.

i.e

- 2 in, 2 out
- one mic pre
- phantom power
- midi

we found a native instruments kontrol 1 for (gasp) 20 euro but the sound is kind of crunchy. what would you recommend instead?
col
If it's for recording and MIDI and you want to buy new a Behringer UMC202HD.

If your looking at the secondhand market try and buy something that is a recent model where the O/S is supported. The Focusrite stuff is really good.
lilakmonoke
im not so convinced of focusrite or maudio or tascam or behringer. they have lots of features but sound quality seems to be not a number one priority. i might be mistaken ...

i just discovered this:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/echo-2-usb-audio-interface -ios-/1105716386-74-3353

echo make really good sounding converters these are on the same level as RME. it lacks midi but its 2 in 4 out and from 2013, 40 euro, come on!
MARK27
If I was looking for a good 2 channel I/O, i would look for a used RME baby face.

Excellent converters.
dubonaire
Have a look at the Focusrite Clarett Pre USB range.

Focusrite's cheaper range is very underrated and they are known for their stability. This range has very good mic pres.
lilakmonoke
Quote:
i would look for a used RME baby face.

thats what i recommended but the man needs his money to party in berlin so he doesnt have the required $$ ... we are talking below 99$ second hand price range.
dubonaire
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:

thats what i recommended but the man needs his money to party in berlin so he doesnt have the required $$ ... we are talking below 99$ price range.

$99! Hmmm. Not sure what you can get for that!

Quite a few successful producers use Focusrite.
lilakmonoke
Quote:
$99! Hmmm. Not sure what you can get for that!

exactly! hence this post. does anybody have experience with echo audio interfaces? afaik they dont exist any more so the drivers will not be updated?
JohnLRice
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:

thats what i recommended but the man needs his money to party in berlin so he doesnt have the required $$ ... we are talking below 99$ second hand price range.
I can't see putting a lot of effort into trying to find top quality for bottom dollar, especially when partying seems to be the greater priority?! seriously, i just don't get it
lilakmonoke
Quote:
I can't see putting a lot of effort into trying to find top quality for bottom dollar

i understand but thats exactly what im doing. this is a temporary solution for 4 months and we are in berlin so the second hand market is huge. unless somebody has a better proposal i think i will recommend an echo 2 usb. 40 euro doesnt need to sound bad :-)
ranix
presonus audiobox usb is pretty good in that price range

fsvo good, you're pretty much comparing presonus, m-audio, and behringer at the $90 price point

I have the Audiobox USB and it has not much in the way of features. USB powered, two outputs for monitor speakers, two inputs, and a headphone output. That's it. Mine came with some nice software that I still use today called studio one that is useful for recording things.
calaveras
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:

The man wants to have his cake and eat it too.
$99 will not get you a quality interface. You are probably going to have to settle for a used MOTU. Which will be adequate quality, but at least stable.
umma gumma
you might find a roland quad capture for that $
gentle_attack
calaveras wrote:
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:

The man wants to have his cake and eat it too.
$99 will not get you a quality interface. You are probably going to have to settle for a used MOTU. Which will be adequate quality, but at least stable.

$99, bro we are looking for $20 price range.

You and your MY ASS IS BLEEDING nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana applause very frustrating Guinness ftw! hyper hihi
ranix
gentle_attack wrote:

$99, bro we are looking for $20 price range.

You and your MY ASS IS BLEEDING nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana applause very frustrating Guinness ftw! hyper hihi

here is your only answer:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BY DHK/

Review:

it works
milkshake
lilakmonoke wrote:
i have a french house producer staying with me over the summer and we just set up a nice studio for him with a small mixer and a few instruments.

now he needs to buy a simple audio interface and i highly recommend at least good sound quality. needless to say he has little $$ so we will buy second hand.

i.e

- 2 in, 2 out
- one mic pre
- phantom power
- midi

we found a native instruments kontrol 1 for (gasp) 20 euro but the sound is kind of crunchy. what would you recommend instead?

Digital technology has been completely transparent (no audible difference between input and output) since the 1990's. So even the cheapest of the cheapest converters out there are fine in that respect.
The drivers could be a problem, latency could be a problem.
The Focusrite Saphire series has no driver problems and very low latency. Second hand they go for less than 50 bucks.
thetwlo
milkshake wrote:

Digital technology has been completely transparent (no audible difference between input and output) since the 1990's. So even the cheapest of the cheapest converters out there are fine in that respect.

lol lol lol OMFG lol
milkshake
thetwlo wrote:
milkshake wrote:

lol lol lol OMFG lol

links to double blind listening tests.

high resolution audio listening tests.

And on gearslutz there are loads of tests where people can clearly hear a difference between converters after its announced what is the converter...

Feel free to spend lots.
thetwlo
and that's why gearslutz sucks. most digital shit in '90's still wasn't there. What are you citing? What was that good in the '90's?
milkshake
thetwlo wrote:
and that's why gearslutz sucks. most digital shit in '90's still wasn't there. What are you citing? What was that good in the '90's?

Besides studying the links I posted, you can look at the specs of those machines.

Simple test you can do yourself: Mix a tune 40dB below an other tune. Not that easy to hear that lower level tune is it.

But why don't you come up with evidence, preferably double blind tests with the proper protocol, to prove me wrong.
lilakmonoke
member milkshake is likely a gearslutz intruder troll and im sorry but audio interfaces have improved since the 90s .. with this out of the way, anybody is using this? 40e!

h4ndcrafted
I don’t think there is a significant difference in converters on prosumer gear.

Focusrite stuff does sound decent , even on their sapphire range, and the drivers are always updated really quickly. My humble little pro24 still works perfectly 8 years later, although it has scratchy pots.

There is no major audible difference between my motu and focusrite , the difference seems to be in build and tech, not converters.

What about a Roland/Edirol interface , have no idea how stable they are, but people seem to like the sound of those.
lilakmonoke
Quote:

agreed and its highly likely that the main differences are in the analog circuitry. i can only compare what i have used and i have a stupidly linear sound system so im hearing differences clearly.

my main interface is still a rme fireface 800 from 2004 which is levels above later pro consumer units that i have tested ie. NI Kontrol 1 from 2007 or around the same time something from edirol that was so bad that i returned it after 3 days.

on the other hand, my monitor amp samples the signal at 50 megaherz, which is 10x 48 khz and you definitely hear that in the incredibly clean midrange so sample rate matters and bitdepth too and double blind tests are BS.
dubonaire
lilakmonoke wrote:
Quote:

agreed and its highly likely that the main differences are in the analog circuitry. i can only compare what i have used and i have a stupidly linear sound system so im hearing differences clearly.

my main interface is still a rme fireface 800 from 2004 which is levels above later pro consumer units that i have tested ie. NI Kontrol 1 from 2007 or around the same time something from edirol that was so bad that i returned it after 3 days.

on the other hand, my monitor amp samples the signal at 50 megaherz, which is 10x 48 khz and you definitely hear that in the incredibly clean midrange so sample rate matters and bitdepth too and double blind tests are BS.

My sneaky suspicion is that those who get into endless arguments about interfaces don't actually spend time making music.
Neoconkers
The Steinberg UR22 MK2 is a decent option and can be bought second hand for a fairly reasonable price

https://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur22_mk2.htm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4