MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Memorymoog+ stock midi interface timing and other questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Memorymoog+ stock midi interface timing and other questions
Superlead
I am looking for some infos about the Memorymoog plus , i read several topics about it but i still have a few questions .
i was wondering if the stock midi interface really has some delay when getting into very speed notes ?

Is the Kenton midi or DBM kit working much better for midi timing accuracy ?

Is there a way to control the resonance with a kenton or DBM midi kit or only with the LAMM ( not sure if it makes it possible but i think i had read somewhere most controls are midified ) ?

Obviously i heard about the LAMM upgrade many years ago but it is quite expensive .
Superlead
Also, is there really some filter stepping on all Memorymoog Plus and regular MM ?
I wonder if the LAMM mod removes the filter stepping ?

In that video bellow, the guy seems to say there is no stepping when the filter is controlled with the CV , so i suppose with the pedal and maybe via midi controlling the pedal as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUnKgUtxnU

Last question , is it possible to remove and put back the wood side panels easily , to have them replaced when damaged ?
Rex Coil 7
Many times people mistake "filter stepping" in analog filters for harmonics.

... checking out video ...

EDIT: Quoting from the comments in that video ....

"The stepping is coming from the fact that it is a steep filter - 24db per octave. The harmonics are being picked off one at a time as the filter closes. If you listen closely the "stepping" is each harmonic in the harmonic series."

seriously, i just don't get it
Superlead
Thanks for your answer .
I have to say i have quiet a few other vintage Analog synths with which i did not hear much filter stepping , including some other moog like original minimoog , multimoog , micromoog and while listening to the memorymoog video , i didn't feel the filter stepping was that bad but i was speaking about it , as i had read on gearslutz about the some stepping in the memorymoog filter and the guy in the video seemed to differentiate the possible stepping between the filter pot and the CV control of the filter , via the pedal i suppose .

The only filter stepping i experienced was when one of my synth ( i don't remember which) was modified with a cv input control for a filter control ( through a kenton pro 2000 ) and i remember i had felt that at first but the tech added something to the synth that got rid of the stepping if i remember well .

I never had any memorymoog in my hands , so i don't really know about that .
Nobody has any answer for the other questions ?
I'd be grateful to know about all that and also to know if the memorymoog with LAMM upgrade sounds different than a regular one due to all the parts replaced ?
Superlead
I found a few more infos about the memorymoog midi , kenton and DBM midi kit but still look for more .

I could find an old post on another forum :

" As far as the sloppy timing issue, I don't know for sure if the DBM upgrade
improves any timing, but I sure don't notice any slop in my unit.

The Kenton kit only interfaces with the keyboard scanning circuitry, so you
still have the original slop problem to deal with. "

Based on this post , the person seem to say the Kenton kit might not resolved the midi timing problem ,is that true ?

I also wonder if the fact some eprom are replaced with the DBM midi kit ,could be a problem, if for any reason , a Kenton or a LAMM was installed instead of the DBM or for any other reason , or is it easily possible to go back to the stock version ?

Are the original eprom still possible to be found through some tech or vintage synths shops ?

For those interested , inhave been told the wood parts are not easy to replace because the front panel has to be removed or something similar making it not really easy to do but still possible and some wood kits exist and are sold for those who want to replace the wood panels on any MM.
The Real MC
Superlead wrote:

" As far as the sloppy timing issue, I don't know for sure if the DBM upgrade
improves any timing, but I sure don't notice any slop in my unit.

The Kenton kit only interfaces with the keyboard scanning circuitry, so you
still have the original slop problem to deal with. "

Based on this post , the person seem to say the Kenton kit might not resolved the midi timing problem ,is that true ?

Yes it is true. The timing issue is in the stock firmware and the Kenton kit does not resolve that. All the Kenton kit does is simulate key presses; the timing issue is still inherent in the stock firmware.

Quote:
I also wonder if the fact some eprom are replaced with the DBM midi kit ,could be a problem, if for any reason , a Kenton or a LAMM was installed instead of the DBM or for any other reason , or is it easily possible to go back to the stock version ?

Either the DBM or the LAMM upgrade will have some wiring changes. To revert to stock is not as simple as changing the EPROM OS. The DBM wiring changes can be reverted, but not the LAMM.

Quote:
Are the original eprom still possible to be found through some tech or vintage synths shops ?

The BIN files for burning the EPROMs can be found on the internet. But you must locate NOS EPROM ICs and find a tech who can burn the EPROMs using the BIN files. The EPROMs are a non-standard 2532 part, and they are NOT the same between OEMs. To be safe you should locate 2532s that are the same OEM as the originals.
Superlead
Thanks for your answer, i had not seen it.
I found ne with the DBM midi kit , i have the feeling it is better than the Kenton one t least for the midi timing , would you confirm that ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1