MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCO mixing/morphing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author VCO mixing/morphing?
Mr. Aloud
Newbie question.

So I want to add some tonal options to my minibrute and thought about a VCO with multiple outs (like AJH minimod) or maybe 2-3 separate VCOs with single outs. How would I bring this together? The easy thing is a mixer with exponential curve, that´s understood. I´d prefer faders, so it´s easier to change two values with one hand, but there is less choices. Anyway: Here is the tricky part:

I´d like to blend between settings easily, optional automation needed.

From an interface point of view, I´d like to be able to dial in a certain mix and be good ("static" waveforms), but optionally use a pad/joystick and/or LFO/ENV/MIDI2CV for automated blends. Constant evolving sound. To me this sounds like a job for a 4:1 VCA with knobs or faders (for standalone operation) and CV ins for the automation part. Does this make sense?

I found Doepfer A135-1, which has CV attenuation built in, but it is linear and I want to mix audio. Mutable Veils / codex modulex u4xvca can do exp/lin, but needs external CV attenuation.

Any other ideas, like an exponential VCA and external attenuators/verters?

All of this should not compromise a decent tone, doesn´t make sense to get AJH VCOs in the beginning and then have it sound like an mp3 of a plugin at the end smile
euromorcego
Mr. Aloud wrote:
I´d like to be able to dial in a certain mix and be good ("static" waveforms), but optionally use a pad/joystick and/or LFO/ENV/MIDI2CV for automated blends. Constant evolving sound. To me this sounds like a job for a 4:1 VCA with knobs or faders (for standalone operation) and CV ins for the automation part. Does this make sense?

yes, it makes perfect sense. And there are plenty of 4:1 VCAs to choose from. For example the Intellijel quadVCA, Veils, and all that.

There are also some more sophisticated VCA like the malekko quad vca that allows scanning between the inputs: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/malekko-heavy-industry-quad-vca, or the verbos scan and pan. And of course RxMx.

For this purpose I find the newly announced Aeolus Seeds very promising. Moving between 4 different inputs with time-synced modulation: https://ask.audio/articles/shakmat-announces-6-new-modules-at-superboo th-19-including-2-quadraphonic-units Drawback: not available (yet).

But you do not need any dedicated modules, really any quad VCA will do. I had a lot of fun putting the different waveforms of an osc into the fours channels and then using 4 different envelopes triggered by the Turing Machine (or other sources, including rare random trigger) to get all kind of interesting patterns.
Mr. Aloud
Thanks for pointing out a few alternatives! Now I don´t feel totally stupid and will add a few things in my modulargrid scratchpad smile

Many thanks!
mskala
Mr. Aloud wrote:

You should look at the Mutable Instruments Frames regarding the automation aspect - by itself it can do some of what you're describing, and it can be a morphing CV generator for use as part of a more complicated setup, too.
cg_funk
Take a look at the Planar2 from Intellijel
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-planar-2

It's a joystick module, but much much more than that. It can be used to pan between 4 different waveforms, and also record the motions you make. It then has CV over X-Y (or R,theta) (or over the playback). It's possible to tempo sync your CV recordings to tempo quite easily (and you can also CV the playback head for direct control). One of my favorite modules in eurorack.
sir stony
I was just gonna say that. Planar2 it is.
Footkerchief
The Mixiplexer makes a great 4-channel wave-morpher: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/toppobrillo-mixiplexer

The Blender has a more specific interface design, but might also fit the bill:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-state-fate-blender
Rex Coil 7
Mr. Aloud wrote:
...I found Doepfer A135-1, which has CV attenuation built in, but it is linear and I want to mix audio.
I have four of those ... I mix VCO audio all the time.
TEKBRAIN
mskala wrote:
Mr. Aloud wrote:

You should look at the Mutable Instruments Frames regarding the automation aspect - by itself it can do some of what you're describing, and it can be a morphing CV generator for use as part of a more complicated setup, too.

I second that. It's a good mixer tool with a lot of tricks on its own.
electricanada
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Mr. Aloud wrote:
...I found Doepfer A135-1, which has CV attenuation built in, but it is linear and I want to mix audio.
I have four of those ... I mix VCO audio all the time.

Yeah, it's fine for audio. Also look at the new skinnier version Doepfer has out just now.
noisewreck
euromorcego wrote:

There are also some more sophisticated VCA like the malekko quad vca that allows scanning between the inputs: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/malekko-heavy-industry-quad-vca

Ooooh! That one will be my next VCA!
bravewave
The combo A-135-1 Voltage Controlled Mixer / Quad VCA and A-144 Morphing Controller from Dieter Doepfer is an option too. You can move through difrent waveforms with an envelope/LFO or jump inbetween waveforms with an random or squarewave CV and attenuator. thumbs up
mgallagher641
Sounds to me like WMD Blender or the new Make Noise X-Pan would suit what you describe here. X-Pan looks a bit more flexible. I've not used either, but both look good.
lauprellim
Another vote for Planar2.
mdoudoroff
lauprellim wrote:
Another vote for Planar2.

… or even Planar 1 (hides)
dubonaire
Mr. Aloud wrote:
I found Doepfer A135-1, which has CV attenuation built in, but it is linear and I want to mix audio.

In fact the original A-135-1 was AC coupled so could only handle audio. If you want exponential behaviour you can use an exponential envelope which I think is more flexible anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1