MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Differences and workflow of Gotharman's Devices
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Differences and workflow of Gotharman's Devices
mg05
I listend to examples of Gotharman's Devices and they sound great.
But it's not really clear to me what are the differences of the devices, the workflow, the pro and cons of the different ones.

There is the comparison chart with alle the specs but they look very similar with a lot of overlaps and of course there is the categorization of the devices but an Anmono Xmini is a kind of a workstation too, right?

Workstation (LD3 / Space Board / TinyLD)
Polyphonic Synthesizer/Samlper (Polyspace)
Modular Synthesizer/Sampler (Anamono Xmini)
Effect processor (FX deFormer)

I have to admit I didn't RTFM (too many pages smile I'm just looking for a quick overview how you would describe the boxes, which you like most, the workflow and for which purpose you're using them or for what do you think for which purpose the boxes are best (for example sound processing, heart of a setup, using it with modular or other synths, etc.) or any other comments would be great.

Thanks!
rayce
All of them can be used as an effects box. All of them have morph ability which lets you do a ton of things.

Anamono Xmini has the greatest flexibility in its architecture and is a lot like a modular synth. Plus you have the ability to swap analog filter boards on it. Essentially monophonic.

PolySpaze is a 4 voice polyphonic synth/sampler. Sounds fantastic. Comes with 4 analog Spaze filters. You can break the individual voices out and use it as 4 separate voices (i.e. drum machine) Fixed voice architecture.

LD3 has 8 voices. Lots of different analog filter options. Not as quick and easy to swap filters on as AnaMonoX but doable. Anamono is like a 2 minute swap. LD3 takes me closer to 5 to 10 minutes.

You can setup individual parts to play polyphonically but you would not have the individual analog filters per voice like in the Polyspaze.

There is definitely overlap on some of the sampling/sequencing/CV options but it seems right now the LD3 is getting the majority of Gotharman's development time. Recent updates to LD3 have not (yet?) trickled down to the other boxes (such as mapped sample chops to keyboard and CV quantization options)

The way I think of each box is->

AnamonoX Make super weird alien sound, fun to quickly swap filters on.

Polyspaze. Warm polysynth or drum machine/sampler.

LD3 workstation, multtrack recorder, polysynth, drumsynth, sampler, do everything box.

Desert island box-> LD3
mg05
Thank you.

And soundwise? Do they sound very different from each other or is the character of sound similar due to similarities of effects and architecture (which I only assume because of the specs and shared components like the filters, software?)

A full featured LD3 as the desert island box only if it's treasure island smile
zite909
I own only a LD3 so i cannot compare it with other device.

But just to complete what Rayce wrote :
- The polyspaze is more a 4-voice polyphonic synth with analog filters. It features 2 OSC per voice, and has a more fixed architecture, which make it more "streamlined".

- The LD3 is more a workstation. It can be a 8-voice polysynth, with a single OSC per voice, but 2 digital filters, and optionnaly analog filters which are paraphonic. It is extremly flexible : each part can be mono or stereo, it has a flexible bus effect so you can chain up to 8 FX, route individual part to any FX bus. It has also a FM bus, so despite is a single OSC architecture you can do FM and layer different part.
And of course you can use it as midi or CV sequencer, granular FX box, 8xmonosynth, a polysynth, a drum machine, an audio recorder ....

Lately Gotharman has released an alternate OS for the LD3 and the spazeboard 6 filter boards : It transform a LD3 into a 6 monophonic voices polyspaze. Compare to a real polyspaze you loose the polyphony. But you get 6 powerful monosynth voice with 2 osc per voice, a digital filter and optionnaly 2 analog filter + the LD3 sequencer, sampler etc.
zite909
I forgot to mention : there is a facebook group of LD3 users. It is not currently very active, but if you maybe you can contact them if you want to have more opinions about the sound of the different Gotharmann's devices :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1736994256401294/?ref=bookmarks
rayce
I have all three boxes and each brings its own thing to the table.

Everytime I turn on a gotharman device and program a patch it makes sounds that are unique to me.

Add in the flexibility of swapping out analog filters on Anamono and LD3 and its really easy to completely changeup the tonality of the synth.

If you are using the boxes as straight up samplers or synths with the digital filters then there is a crossover there and you could get them to sound the same. I think the oscillators/digital filter/effects/envelopes/lfos probably share a lot of code among the 3 boxes.

If you are using the flexible routing of the AnamonoX you'd have a tough time getting the polyspaze or LD3 to do those sounds.

If you are using the polyspaze to do analog filtered chords you would not be able to get LD3 or AnamonoX to sound like it.

LD3 can do a lot that Polyspaze and AnamonoX can't do with its 8 voices audio tracks, and sequencing.

Its a lot like saying what does a Buchla vs Serge sound like. Its so patch dependent and while you can probably patch a serge to do sounds that sound like Buchla you can very easily take it outside that.
mg05
Do you like one of them most or least (and if you do so why)?
Nelson Baboon
i tried to get Flemming to open up a sub-forum here. all that was needed was that he communicate with sduck (as I recall) and get it started. The idea would be a more general location where Gotharman specific things could be discussed.

Maybe, if others would like this, more 'pressure' could be applied.

especially with the search function being so sporadic, it would be nice (imo) to have a place where topics like this could be discussed.
rayce
Right now I'm using the LD3 a lot. I like them all but the flexibility and the interface with the x0x style buttons of the LD3 is fantastic.

What tool do you need?
soundinett
Nelson Baboon wrote:
i tried to get Flemming to open up a sub-forum here. all that was needed was that he communicate with sduck (as I recall) and get it started. The idea would be a more general location where Gotharman specific things could be discussed.

especially with the search function being so sporadic, it would be nice (imo) to have a place where topics like this could be discussed.

I support this!
zite909
soundinett wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I support this!

Me too :-))))
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1