MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quantized-start Eurorack Loopers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Quantized-start Eurorack Loopers
versipellis
Hey folks. I'm in the market for a looper module designed for live looping in gigging situations, and would love to get people's two-cents. The main thing that's a deal-breaker for me is that I need a record start/record stop button, that are quantized to an incoming clock. What I mean by this is when I hit the record start, it doesn't actually start the loop recording until the next clock pulse.

Reason for this is that I'm often performing with other live performers/DJs, and sometimes I want to grab a loop of what they're currently playing, and be able to cross-fade on a mixer between their live output and my looped "copy". Starting recording right when I hit it means that if I'm off even by a split second, its noticeable when played back.

I've looked at a whole bunch of loopers like Morphagene, w/, Ludbadh, Magneto, etc. and the only one I can seem to find with this functionality is the Roland Scooper, which is long out-of-production.

Now, I know I can do something like this with other modules - solutions I had involved a button module, switch and/or s&h - but because this is part of a skiff that's part of a larger live setup, space is unfortunately at a premium confused
cptnal
Pretty sure Morphagene can do that. Have a look here...

MossGarden
Have a look at the new Instruo Tape looper, it's not out yet but shows a lot of promise for live performance, great visual feedback for knowing where you are in your loops too. I don't think it has quantised start/stop, but that is not something that would be too difficult with a tap tempo square wave lfo (4ms) and a mute switch.

mdoudoroff
Lúbadh should be able to do it just fine once it ships, but you’ll have to wait quite a while for that. (I don’t think Lúbadh will quantize your button presses; rather you’ll manipulate the recording start stop with your clock source.)
versipellis
cptnal wrote:

I did watch that prior to this. It wasn't immediately apparent to me whether it was quantizing the record starts or not.

MossGarden wrote:
Have a look at the new Instruo Tape looper, it's not out yet but shows a lot of promise for live performance, great visual feedback for knowing where you are in your loops too. I don't think it has quantised start/stop, but that is not something that would be too difficult with a tap tempo square wave lfo (4ms) and a mute switch.

mdoudoroff wrote:
Lúbadh should be able to do it just fine once it ships, but you’ll have to wait quite a while for that. (I don’t think Lúbadh will quantize your button presses; rather you’ll manipulate the recording start stop with your clock source.)

I did. I've watched every video there is on it so far, including the one from his Schneidersladen workshop. It doesn't have quantized start/stop, which is a shame because it's really a beautiful looper (same as the Magneto). As also mentioned in my OP, I don't have the hp in my skiff to fit the modules needed for a switch to do that, especially at 20hp.
versipellis
cptnal wrote:

So I took a closer-read of the manual after your post, looks like you're right!

Quote:

Synchronizing Recording:
Patching a Clock source to the Clock Input performs several tasks which are in some cases dependent upon other settings on the
Morphagene. During the Recording process, a Clock patched to the Clock Input synchronizes the REC Button, allowing for
Recording Start and Stop times to be synchronized with an External Clock. The REC Button strobes after it is pressed in order to
indicate that the Morphagene is waiting for the next Clock cycle to start Recording. On the next Clock pulse received, the
procedure is completed, the REC Button lights in order to indicate recording has started. After the REC Button is pressed again, it
waits for a Clock Pulse, and turns o to indicate recording has stopped.

Are there other modules that do this?
mosorensen
I think you can do this with some logic? You could have a flip-flop where you set the state to "on" with a button. Then you "and" this state with your clock to generate a pulse that starts (and stops) the recording.
versipellis
mosorensen wrote:
I think you can do this with some logic? You could have a flip-flop where you set the state to "on" with a button. Then you "and" this state with your clock to generate a pulse that starts (and stops) the recording.

See my original post - I already know how to build it with more modules, I just don't have the hp wink

versipellis wrote:
Now, I know I can do something like this with other modules - solutions I had involved a button module, switch and/or s&h - but because this is part of a skiff that's part of a larger live setup, space is unfortunately at a premium confused
Gyroscope
You can do this with Bitbox.
iheartmodular
how do you sync euro with dj?
versipellis
iheartmodular wrote:

Manual syncing with my Analog Rytm 2 or taking MIDI clock out if they're running Traktor. My background is in DJing on vinyl over a decade ago, so in the former case, beatmatching by ear is fairly easy for me.
Paranormal Patroler
Have you looked at the SDS Reflex Liveloop ? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sds-digital-reflex-liveloop

You know, I have to say I'm amazed that we already have a bunch of looping modules out there and people suggest the ones that aren't yet in production. I mean come on ...
tomnicholson
Yes, Morphagene works well. Also you can sync the *playback* of the loops so you don't have to worry about things gradually drifting out of time due to slight discrepancies between MG's clock and the clock of your fellow performers, if they have a clock, or you can send it a manually generated trigger to sync the loop if you find that it goes out of sync with, say, a DJ (presumably, I've not tried this).

You might want to consider 4ms DLD. Recording and playback happen automatically and can be synced with a clock. What I like about the DLD is that you fix a loop by hitting 'Hold' AFTER the section of music has played, as in, "Oh, that sounded good, let's loop that," instead of, "I have a feeling that the next two bars will sound good, let's hit record."
modlys
I have a ehx 4500 which has midi. I Can get the clock from the midi out of the mother 32 and have them Line up. Its Got its quirks... but it kinda works...
MARK27
iheartmodular wrote:

There is also that new euro-DJ sync thing, Pamela's Discotheque from ALM. Looks like it could be really handy.
MrNezumi
4MS Stereo Trigger Sampler can do this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1