MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Think I need another 'voice' module - what would you add?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Think I need another 'voice' module - what would you add?
Tun
Hey Wigglers

I'm looking to start a 3rd row and add another 'voice' module. Tempted by Rings but feel it's becoming something of a cliched sound. Also thinking about a Dixie II to give me a traditional analogue osc. Another option would be a wavetable osc. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $500. Maybe a 2nd Plaits is the way to go as they're so reasonably priced and versatile. What would you do? Thanks for the input! This is where I'm at so far:

Buyakasoundman
Instruo ts-l is a fantastic sounding analog oscillator. It has wave folding, sub octave out, and it’s only 6 hp. And if you feel like waiting a bit, there were a few new analog oscillators shown at Superbooth; Joranalogue Generate 3 and Endorphin Godspeed caught my eye particularly.
Tun
Buyakasoundman wrote:
Instruo ts-l is a fantastic sounding analog oscillator. It has wave folding, sub octave out, and it’s only 6 hp. And if you feel like waiting a bit, there were a few new analog oscillators shown at Superbooth; Joranalogue Generate 3 and Endorphin Godspeed caught my eye particularly.


Thanks Buyakasoundman... yes the Joranalogue Generate 3 certainly has my attention! Wondering when it'll become available.
forrest
Rings is used a lot but what does that matter? It's beautiful.. and it has a lot of sonic variety that you may not be aware of. Chords v2 looks pretty neat, you can run the 3rd/5th/7th/root through stages in switching mode for a good time.. Speaking of stages, it makes a pretty cool harmonic oscillator in ouroboros mode.. There is a firmware released that allows you to toggle it on/off with a long button press check the stages post..

A dixie II+ could also be nice as it can act as an LFO as well, looks like you could use a little more modulation.

Just some thoughts smile
cackland
I'm playing the waiting game for these from Vintage Synth Lab: VCO-81



Also, Joranalogue Generate 3 is on the list also.
lisa
Check out the Erica Synths Pico Voice. 3hp, cheap, rough and sleazy cousin of Plaits.
Rex Coil 7
lisa wrote:
... cheap, rough and sleazy ...
... sounds like my kinda fun ...
Richard deHove
If you want analog maybe something like AJH MiniMod? http://www.ajhsynth.com/VCO.html
Or for something a bit weird to spice up your sound, how about the popular Basimilus? http://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/basimilus-iteritas-alter
gonkulator
Plaits is certainly a sold choice, since as you said, it is so versatile, and you can get much of the Rings sound if you want. Others, Klavis Twin wave, WMD Spectrum
Tun
forrest wrote:
Rings is used a lot but what does that matter? It's beautiful.. and it has a lot of sonic variety that you may not be aware of. Chords v2 looks pretty neat, you can run the 3rd/5th/7th/root through stages in switching mode for a good time.. Speaking of stages, it makes a pretty cool harmonic oscillator in ouroboros mode.. There is a firmware released that allows you to toggle it on/off with a long button press check the stages post..

A dixie II+ could also be nice as it can act as an LFO as well, looks like you could use a little more modulation.

Just some thoughts smile


Yep I hear you loud and clear Forrest! Rings is popular for a reason and it certainly would expand my sound palette. Don't know about the Chords v2 so will investigate. The Dixie II+ is tempting as I can get hold of one much cheaper than a Ts-L!

cackland wrote:
I'm playing the waiting game for these from Vintage Synth Lab: VCO-81


Thanks cackland, you've definitely given me something else to put on my radar!

lisa wrote:
Check out the Erica Synths Pico Voice. 3hp, cheap, rough and sleazy cousin of Plaits.


Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... sounds like my kinda fun ...


Thanks for your input Lisa, I've had the Pico Voice on my radar for a while! Love me some cheap, rough and sleazy too Rex... and it wouldn't break the bank at all!

Richard deHove wrote:
If you want analog maybe something like AJH MiniMod? http://www.ajhsynth.com/VCO.html
Or for something a bit weird to spice up your sound, how about the popular Basimilus? http://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/basimilus-iteritas-alter


Thanks Richard, the Minimod VCO would certainly be a solid choice for an analogue VCO, and the Basimilus is another one that's been on my radar for a while!

gonkulator wrote:
Plaits is certainly a sold choice, since as you said, it is so versatile, and you can get much of the Rings sound if you want. Others, Klavis Twin wave, WMD Spectrum


Thanks for your input gonkulator. If I could find one I'd probably have already bought the Klavis Twin Wave, but neither of the dealers I've been buying from have any left in stock, and it seems to be pretty much out of stock everywhere.

Edit: My thinking is that I need something for powerful 'bread and butter' sounds when I'm using Plaits for vowely or other non-standard stuff... but on the other hand I must admit I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on Rings!

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions so far Wigglers! It's all very much appreciated!

SlayerBadger! we're not worthy
Bignorthumbrian
Plaits into Rings, a very good reason to get Rings....
cptnal
I'd suggest a look at the Noise Engineering modules too, but maybe further afield than BIA. The Loquelic Iteritas is versatile, small, and has lots of modulation points. You'd want to pair it with a nice filter to get the spongy analoguey tones as well as the clangy stuff it's renowned for. I expect it'd go well with the Optomix.
Nino
"Cliched sound" - what does that mean?
tomnicholson
Shapeshifter smile Although it can be used as a complete voice, for most tastes, to get the most out of it, it needs a LPF to tame it, and if you want to use it stereo, then a dual filter. Also, it's a fantastic LFO - you can have one channel as LFO and the other as VCO at the same time.
tomnicholson
Whatever you choose, if you have a few $$ left over, you could slip in a 2HP Pluck, or their new Bell module sounds lovely.
Tun
Nino wrote:
"Cliched sound" - what does that mean?


Hi Nino, although I’ve not watched a lot of Rings demos what I mean is that a lot of the ambient/balearic/chillout/ethnic synth based music (whatever you want to call it) that’s kind of in vogue in certain circles atm sounds to me like Rings was involved. Having said that, knowing how innovate MI are, I appreciate that Rings is very capable and versatile, and many producers may only just be scratching the surface with the marimba, palm mutes and atonal percussion patches I’m hearing in a lot of tracks. Of course, I’m only just learning to wiggle and I’ve never played with Rings so there’s a very high probability I’m barking up the wrong tree... and it certainly wouldn’t be my first time doing that wink
starthief
Since you've got an STO, Dixie would really be pretty similar to that. I prefer more variety myself, so for an analog oscillator I'd go with a Generate 3. Or a complex oscillator such as DPO, Cs-L etc.

I love me some Rings... I'm almost always feeding the audio input and it's got a lot more to offer than the "cliched" sounds.

I don't think the Orgone Accumulator gets the love it deserves. Really versatile and sounds pretty great IMHO. An E352 would be another good choice.
tomnicholson
+1 for E352
presidentofvice
Tun wrote:
Nino wrote:
"Cliched sound" - what does that mean?


Hi Nino, although I’ve not watched a lot of Rings demos what I mean is that a lot of the ambient/balearic/chillout/ethnic synth based music (whatever you want to call it) that’s kind of in vogue in certain circles atm sounds to me like Rings was involved. Having said that, knowing how innovate MI are, I appreciate that Rings is very capable and versatile, and many producers may only just be scratching the surface with the marimba, palm mutes and atonal percussion patches I’m hearing in a lot of tracks. Of course, I’m only just learning to wiggle and I’ve never played with Rings so there’s a very high probability I’m barking up the wrong tree... and it certainly wouldn’t be my first time doing that wink


It's all about how you patch it and how you excite it. Put filtered noise through it, or other sound sources and you can get sounds that are way beyond what you are describing. It's a pretty deep module really.
Dennis
rings for me is the esoteric way :-D and if you put anything into it (i once nearly died hearing the 4ms SMR thru rings - wich was awesome) its ear candy!


loquelic iteritas / percido .... i got both! its my go-to crazy organic to harsh gritty voice can be anything between that and really pretty too

you already got plaits so.... yea maybe a cheap used one or small HP DIY braids / plaits if you can shoot one for cheapz (i love meta mode in both /sequencing models)

shapeshifter would be the mothership.... but certainly eats up space and other modulators / modules etc......

e350/352 are smooth a/f like butter and beautiful (don't need filters that much)
CaneMan
I'm going to go a little off the wall and plug one of my wish-it-was-on-my-radar modules. how about Steady State Fate's Stereo Dipole? All 4 of its filter cores that can be used as oscillators. With the right patching, it easily get into VCO + filter territory. Not sure if you could pull off an LFO or two at the same time, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could.
Tumulishroomaroom
Dennis wrote:
loquelic iteritas / percido .... i got both! its my go-to crazy organic to harsh gritty voice can be anything between that and really pretty too

Seconding the Loquelic Iteritas Percido (LI is great but the Percido is really a fantastic upgrade). Of course not analogue but it's an incredible voice. So many sounds in there. Very versatile and completely different from what you already have. The envelopes are great, there's a lot of internal modulation to get it moving but you also have 20 (!) patchpoints to explore. My favorite voice in euro.
Voggg
for something with a lot of harmonic potential under 20hp, I'd go with Piston Honda mk3 or Just Friends over Rings. Rings is ok but it's not as versatile as it should be and somewhat more useful as an effect than a voice. Honda will get you a lot further, it's a dual osc and you can easily write your own morphing harmonic banks in waveedit.
JF gives you a choice between really thick sounds and a bank of envelopes.
909one
forrest wrote:
Speaking of stages, it makes a pretty cool harmonic oscillator in ouroboros mode.. There is a firmware released that allows you to toggle it on/off with a long button press check the stages post..


Do you have a URL for this?
coolshirtdotjpg
presidentofvice wrote:
Tun wrote:
Nino wrote:
"Cliched sound" - what does that mean?


Hi Nino, although I’ve not watched a lot of Rings demos what I mean is that a lot of the ambient/balearic/chillout/ethnic synth based music (whatever you want to call it) that’s kind of in vogue in certain circles atm sounds to me like Rings was involved. Having said that, knowing how innovate MI are, I appreciate that Rings is very capable and versatile, and many producers may only just be scratching the surface with the marimba, palm mutes and atonal percussion patches I’m hearing in a lot of tracks. Of course, I’m only just learning to wiggle and I’ve never played with Rings so there’s a very high probability I’m barking up the wrong tree... and it certainly wouldn’t be my first time doing that wink


It's all about how you patch it and how you excite it. Put filtered noise through it, or other sound sources and you can get sounds that are way beyond what you are describing. It's a pretty deep module really.


Yeah, also rings into distortion can give you some really interesting tones, everything "piano through an old mic" to death metal. It's one of the most underutilized modules in demos. I'm not sure why people patch it the exact same way every time, but its a module that offers a lot of possibilities for experimentation.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group