MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question regarding ES-8 and an external soundcard
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Question regarding ES-8 and an external soundcard
gerlado
Hey!

I just post this question on reddit.com/r/modular but didn't really get the answers I was hoping for and therefore trying out MuffWiggler instead.
Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/bol7gi/daw_to_modular_integr ation/

I've been scrolling around for quite some time on forums to get an answer to my questions, and just want some input before I press the trigger and buy an Expert Sleepers ES-8.

My setup is simply Ableton and eurorack modules, with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 gen 1. Today I use a Mutant Brain for midi to CV but as the good customer I am, I was hoping to try CV tools coming to Ableton 10.1 and am therefor looking for a good DC coupled audio interface (since Scarlett is AC-coupled). I am really hyped over the fact that it is possible to modulate Ableton via CV inputs and I also want to use CV tools in Ableton to affect my modular system.

My questions:
- Is is possible to aggregate Scarlett 18i8 and ES-8 and use the two audio interfaces simultaneously (mac)? I want to use Scarlett for recording, output sound to monitors, etc. and I want to use the ES-8 only to integrate with input/output with Ableton.

- Is ES-8 a good alternative in general or should I get ES-40+ESX-8CV+ES-6? Any other, better alternatives?

- Any other thoughts or comments are welcome! For instance, can Ableton CV tools somehow be utilized with Mutant brain and midi to CV?
os
Quote:
Is is possible to aggregate Scarlett 18i8 and ES-8 and use the two audio interfaces simultaneously (mac)?

Yes.

Quote:
Is ES-8 a good alternative in general or should I get ES-40+ESX-8CV+ES-6?

The ES-8 is much easier to use than the ES-40.

Am I correct in thinking that the ES-3 is not an option, because you have no ADAT output?
toneburst
You should be able to create an Aggregate audio device with them both, yes.

If your audio interface has ADAT optical IO, you can also use the ES-8 as an 8-out, 6-in ADAT expander without the need for and Aggregate device.

That's what I do with my ES-8 and MOTU 828Mk.3, and it works well.
gerlado
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that the ES-3 is not an option, because you have no ADAT output?

Exactly! I only have S/PDIF in/out and ADAT input.
gerlado
Accidental post
gerlado
What I am worrying about is what people on Reddit wrote, regarding ES-8 and external soundcards my cause problems with clocking.

From Reddit:
"I did the ES-8 paired with a few different interfaces for a while..

It would work most of the time, but was prone to some weirdness. What I found is that it really matters which one of the devices in the aggregate group you choose to be the master clock. some configurations were better than others, and some didn't work at all."

But if this is not a known issue I am all happy.

I just want to use ES-8 for my modular integration, and Scarlett 18i8 as my main audio interface. To my knowledge, this should work, just looking for a second opinion.
os
Aggregates always *should* work, but they aren't a panacea.

In your case it would help if you take an ADAT cable from the ES-8 to the 18i8, so then the 18i8 can share the digital audio clock, which gives the Aggregate less work to do to keep them in sync.
gerlado
Thanks! With this info it feels comfortable to go for the ES-8. Really hyped! smile

Out of stock in Sweden till mid june I heard.
Looking forward to it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1