MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

using vector rails in new diy case again?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author using vector rails in new diy case again?
msegarra
i took my old case apart and was planing on building another but have found that the rails being already threaded has made it difficult to mount them into the new brackets, i was wonder if anyone else has run into this issue of trying to reuse rails and the threading making it difficult to get them snug into the brackets?
keninverse
I had this issue with some diy brackets. I was planning on retapping them but just found some flat head screws that were slightly larger just used those without tapping since the rails are aluminum. I countersunk the holes in the bracket a little wider to accommodate the new larger screw.
Rex Coil 7
msegarra wrote:
i took my old case apart and was planing on building another but have found that the rails being already threaded has made it difficult to mount them into the new brackets, i was wonder if anyone else has run into this issue of trying to reuse rails and the threading making it difficult to get them snug into the brackets?
If I am understanding you properly, you can't get the screws in far enough to tighten down against the brackets, is that correct?

If so, use can just use the screw to cut the threads deeper into the ends of the Vector rails. I bought Vector in bulk, I had to cut them to length and create threads in the ends. All I did was use the correct screw, carefully driving it in turn by turn of the screwingdriver until I had cut threads into the Vector rail. I think that's how most of us that have had to thread the ends of Vector rails do this.

So just hold the Vector rail in your hand, begin installing one of the screws. When the screw bottoms out in the pre-cut threads, continue to turn the screw into the rails. The screw itself will cut more threads. I have made 14 Vector rails this way (7 pairs of rails, 28 threaded ends). It should be easy to do. No "cutting oil" required at all as well.

cool
plushterry
It wouldn't hurt to use a bit of WD-40 or something similar if you are planning on cutting threads like how Rex suggests.
Rex Coil 7
plushterry wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to use a bit of WD-40 or something similar if you are planning on cutting threads like how Rex suggests.
Totally unnecessary. They turn right in. Besides the WD-40 would get all inside of the ~slots~ and create a need to thoroughly wash the rail with grease/oil cutting soap.

The threads are only cut into the very corner edges of the center ~slot~ of the rail. If I were going to use a cutting lubricant, I'd use liquid dish soap as the cutting lubricant. Afterwards it will easily wash right out ... cuz it's soap.

But honestly, it's just not needed.

thumbs up
astrosound
If you're in a rush it's worth trying the quick and dirty method Rex suggested (preferably with some kind of lubrication). If that doesn't work, shorter screws or the right tap should only be a few dollars at a hardware store.
Rex Coil 7
astrosound wrote:
If you're in a rush it's worth trying the quick and dirty method Rex suggested (preferably with some kind of lubrication). If that doesn't work, shorter screws or the right tap should only be a few dollars at a hardware store.
There is more of a chance of goofing it up if a tap is used. The threads only cut into the corners of a "square" hole. There's not much to support a tap, and since a tap is so sharp, and the threads in the Vector rail are so small (only in the corners) if you're not proficient with use of a tap it would be far too easy to cross-thread the tap. (I've been a machinist/welder/metalworker for over 45 years).

Just use one of the screws, drive it all the way in to the Vector slot until the screw bottoms out against the head and cannot go any deeper. Retract the screw, clean out the "shavings" from the slot, wipe off the screw, and assemble your rack.

No stinkin' tap, no stinkin' cutting oil/lubricant. lol

EDIT: If the search function worked you'd find other members that have done this the same way. Even the folks at Synthrotek advise on doing it this way when assembling new rails.

seriously, i just don't get it

Good luck!

thumbs up
fuzzbass
Maybe some of that nylon plumber's tape wrapped around the screws might fill the gaps and make a good fit. Better than chewing more aluminum out of the rails to tap bigger holes.
JohnLRice
msegarra wrote:
I'm not understanding why it's a problem? Is it because the bracket holes only allow a smaller sized screw than was used in the rails originally or is it because the bracket holes are taped as well? hmmm..... In either case I'd likely just drill out the bracket holes so that they are a little larger and the screws that work correctly with the rails can be reused.

Like others have said, you probably wont need any lubricant if you are going to force tap the holes with the screw if needed. (if using hard steel or stainless steel screws, aluminum and plastic screws might break off in the hole!) But if it seems like you do need a bit of lube, try rubbing the screw threads on an unscented wax candle. The wax will help reduce friction and not leak out or cause a nasty mess (unless you modular catches on fire and then you'll have more important things to worry about than a little wax! MY ASS IS BLEEDING ) Also if you don't have a candle handy you can try using a bar of soap , something plain like Ivory brand (avoid the greasier smellier kinds like Dove and Irish Spring etc) hihi
Noodle Twister
One screw for self tapping a vector rail is an M5 machine screw. I heard though that the American size used for the same purpose is a tiny bit more accurate. Anyway M5 was fine and self tapped. Just sharing for information purposes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1