MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY PolyBraids (or PolyPlaits if that's easier)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY PolyBraids (or PolyPlaits if that's easier)?
JES
With all the new poly VCO modules coming on the market, I'm wondering how feasible something like this might be.

One common set of controls (plus maybe a "spread" for relative detune) and one screen. 4 sound generators, 4 1v/oct inputs instead of one. One output for all voices. Hook it up to the rest of a voice (VCF/VCA/Envelope) and instant paraphony well beyond what's possible with the current options.

But would this be stupid expensive, huge or difficult?
djs
Not completely what you're looking for, but I bet a Mutable yarns would give you a good portion of the controller code you want.
sneak-thief
I wonder what ever happened to hyperbraids:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1906356#1906356

That would be a little more elegant and a lot less real estate compared to my beast lol



https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130774&sid=34b6ad9b1 8d50c4f92c5b35fcdefa4ad
forestcaver
I’m currently building an 84hp row of plaits (four done now)
nurbivore
JES wrote:
But would this be stupid expensive, huge or difficult?


not at all! in fact, it will only cost you about $300
forestcaver
nurbivore wrote:
JES wrote:
But would this be stupid expensive, huge or difficult?


not at all! in fact, it will only cost you about $300


:-)
JES
But it’s got a keyboard attached..... Dead Banana

Otoh it is clearly possible....
pld
sneak-thief wrote:
I wonder what ever happened to hyperbraids:

At some point I had (IIRC) around 4 (5? maybe more?) instances of Braids running on an F4 Frankenbraids (prescient naming on the PCB upthread...) and had ported some other code, but the UI concept wasn't scalable and the single output too limiting. So I started something similar with an OLED, a codec, and without the annoying MCU riser... which quickly started to look like work, and other shiny new things appeared, etc.

A perhaps simpler (for some definition) approach would be to use the serial ports à la Stages on a flock (cluster? herd? gaggle?) of Braidses to sync settings.
forestcaver
pld wrote:

A perhaps simpler (for some definition) approach would be to use the serial ports à la Stages on a flock (cluster? herd? gaggle?) of Braidses to sync settings.


I keep thinking about ways to use the serial ports - they seem like such an opportunity for fun but I struggle for ideas! There must be loads of interesting ways to use them! Frames seems an obvious one but it would be so nice to have two serial ports like Stages.... hmm...
sneak-thief
@pld - that reminds me, I spent a bit of time investigating implementing midi over serial on Braids but IIRC I ran out of RAM while clumsily trying to shoehorn the midi ring buffer.

If one were to just sync the settings, then you wouldn't need all that midi handling.

This is what I envision: the first Braids in the chain would send it's settings to the next, which would then pass it on to the next.

So if you turn the colour knob on Braids 1, Braids 2 would update its setting to match. But if you turn the color knob on Braids 2, it would override the previous settings - but still pass it on to Braids 3.
pld
forestcaver wrote:
I keep thinking about ways to use the serial ports - they seem like such an opportunity for fun but I struggle for ideas! There must be loads of interesting ways to use them! Frames seems an obvious one but it would be so nice to have two serial ports like Stages.... hmm...

Two would be even better. I had some vague ideas but they're not even half-baked, they're still raw ingredients...

sneak-thief wrote:
@pld - that reminds me, I spent a bit of time investigating implementing midi over serial on Braids but IIRC I ran out of RAM while clumsily trying to shoehorn the midi ring buffer.

Yes, RAM is a bit tight.
I was thinking more of the menu settings than the pots, but it'd probably still be feasible with some hand-waving away of details smile
JES
Reviving this thread. I've been thinking about it more. Given how small the Antumbra Plaits module is, could it be possible to use a 24HP panel, and do a PolyPlaits with the following features:

Full size knobs, and a single control for ALL voices, EXCEPT, 4 1v/Oct inputs, 4 trig inputs, and 4 level inputs, so you could play it in poly?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group