MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mangrove VCA bleed?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mangrove VCA bleed?
helder
Hi,

I just got a mangrove. In the manual it says that the inbuilt VCA ('Air') allows to use the module as a complete voice but, if I patch in an ADSR to the Air CV input, turn the Air knob all the way down, and the CV attenuation knob all the way open, when not triggered I still hear the VCO bleed...

Does this happen to you too? Or is mine "defective"?

thanks.
stickman
Mine does that, I think it's just the way it is
helder
stickman wrote:

Good to know I am not alone. I was hoping I could use it as a complete voice but alas, apparently not...

Thanks.
gentle_attack
helder wrote:
stickman wrote:

Good to know I am not alone. I was hoping I could use it as a complete voice but alas, apparently not...

Thanks.

I do not have this module, but one thing you might be able to try is remove the ADSR from the equation, Does it still bleed? If so, try adding a negative offset into the Air, until the bleed disappears. Then, when you want to bring the ADSR back in, use an adder to add the ADSR back to the offset, so that you get sound when you send the envelope, but it shuts completely when the envelope is inactive.

From what you are describing, the ADSR being connected has nothing to do with it, the VCA in this module doesn't sound calibrated correctly. I would consider contacting the manufacturer as there may very well be a trimmer for getting the VCA shut, without having to use an offset.

The manuals for these modules are quite cryptic, one other thing I might suggest trying is turning down the attenuator for the envelope. Overdrive is mentioned in the module and you could be somehow initiating that, simply by having the attenuation at max and a plug in the jack.
lisa
Hm, mine doesn't bleed. seriously, i just don't get it
j259
If you use a bipolar envelope it doesn't bleed.
mildheadwound
j259 wrote:

Sorry, isn't that called an lfo? Haha sorry, i just never heard of a bipolar envelope, without an offset.
j259
mildheadwound wrote:
j259 wrote:

Sorry, isn't that called an lfo? Haha sorry, i just never heard of a bipolar envelope, without an offset.

Well, yeah, a loopable envelope tends to have bipolar output for that reason. Maths or any envelope with attenuverter (like gentle_attack says above) or Endorphin.es Terminal or Grand Terminal would work, for example. You just need a bipolar signal that goes down past 0 to clamp down the VCA, so to speak.

Also given that the VCA gain goes into clipping, probably sending it less than 8-10v (e.g. -5 to +5) is fine to get clear signal.
coolshirtdotjpg
I've owned two mangroves, one of them have VCA bleed the latest one didn't (happiest repurchase I've ever made). Seems like you could send it back if it's a major problem for you.
helder
Ok, good to know. Seems it differs from unit to unit. I really like this oscillator but indeed I would prefer to have a clean VCA...

I tried attenuating (clamp down) the VCA first, and then sending the envelope as suggested (used a Quadratt 1U for that) and it worked ok, but signal is too cold in volume...it is a nuicanse really, as I was hoping to use it as a complete voice when needed. Thnak you all for your help/replies.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1