MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone still using the old beatstep?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Anyone still using the old beatstep?
zedius
I bought a beatstep on preorder when it first came out but ended up selling it because I wasn't using it. My biggest complaint was that I wish it had some visual indication of where the notes were positioned; I always felt like I was flying blind with the endless encoders.

Anyway, a while back I picked one up again because it was $40. I've got a few ideas of utilitarian things I can use it for though I haven't tested them out yet:

1. Sequence the transposition of notes on my Minibrute 2s' sequences
2. Use the step sequencer as a modulator for my Minibrute 2s
3. Use it as a controller in renoise? Not really sure -what- I'd want to use it to control.

Is anyone else still getting use out of this thing? Any favorite applications you want to share?
Rex Coil 7
zedius wrote:
I bought a beatstep on preorder when it first came out but ended up selling it because I wasn't using it. My biggest complaint was that I wish it had some visual indication of where the notes were positioned; I always felt like I was flying blind with the endless encoders.

Anyway, a while back I picked one up again because it was $40. I've got a few ideas of utilitarian things I can use it for though I haven't tested them out yet:

1. Sequence the transposition of notes on my Minibrute 2s' sequences
2. Use the step sequencer as a modulator for my Minibrute 2s
3. Use it as a controller in renoise? Not really sure -what- I'd want to use it to control.

Is anyone else still getting use out of this thing? Any favorite applications you want to share?
Still have mine. It's several years old by now. I use it for sequences, transposing, but I also used it for controlling a Nord Micro Modular when the Beatstep is in "red mode" (MIDI controller mode). I find it to be a very handy little controller/sequencer that is super affordable, portable, and rugged.

I see no reason to sell it. Besides you can't really sell them for much so (to me) there's really no reason to sell it.

thumbs up
fac
I have one since 2014, I think. I don't use it often, but when I do it's mostly as a controller for Audiomulch or for stuff I make in Processing that uses MIDI. I also have used it as a sequencer in a couple of songs. It's one of those tools that I like to have around for the occasion.
phats
Beatstep is fine if you just need some extra knobs/pads but I find the sequencer too limited to do anything useful with.

It also never seems to remember my pattern settings across a power cycle, but does remember knob and scale assignments.

Two of the knobs on mine broke after not much use, and theres no way to configure/manage it thru ios which is something I use a lot.

It's probably the one bit of kit i have that I wouldnt replace if it broke completely. I like the size and the idea though, but too many things wrong with it for me.
naos
I hate this thing, the knobs are neither reliable as a DAW MIDI controller or for changing notes on the step sequencer mode. It feels like half of them are messy and I can't really tell if that behavior is normal or if it's faulty hardware.
Gizmo
Not often needed, but the most novel use I have for it is with my CV.OCD for remote control of modular parameters. I have a CV.OCD configuration that uses the "left half" of the Beatstep for 4 voltage outputs (knobs 9-12), 4 momentary gates (pads 1-4) and 4 toggle gates (pads 9-12).
Monotremata
I got a Pro at the beginning of April and it was all kinds of fun that first weekend. When you start to get into it the sequencer is kind of a joke. Its a neat toy to jam with but composing an actual song with it? Good luck.

Probably should've just bought the cheaper one. The only use it gets after just 2 months is a handy x0x style sequencer for Ultrabeat/Attack/Battery, and a handy CV/MIDI interface when I want to actually play my modular instead of it playing itself. But both of those are kinda redundant since now I have an MPC that's handling my drum sampler duties, and I finally got a bunch of the floating ring cables so I can use Silent Way without worrying about blowing up my interface or my modular heh. The awkward and bulky power splitter you have to use to keep the CV interface from picking up ground noise over USB is pretty ridiculous too. They couldn't have stacked the ports vertically or something?

It left me with the same impression as my Micro Brute. Theyre kinda like the 'My First Sony' line of toys. Never played with a Mini Brute or either of the Drum Brutes but hopefully those are on a different level.
intropod_
Beatstep would be so much more useful as a standalone controller if it had clock in. Without using the USB MIDI, it doesn't really play nice with anything, and it's not nearly powerful enough to be the brains of a setup. Also it has a pretty big foot print for what it does.

I've used it as a custom controller for Reaktor, but plenty of USB boxes with knobs and pads can fill that role. Using it for CV.OCD is pretty clever.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1