MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which adjustable power supply more useful:16v 20a or 30v 10a
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Which adjustable power supply more useful:16v 20a or 30v 10a
WonderAliceLand
I need a variable adjustable power supply for all the modules I am making (yarns, 3340 vco's on stripboard, etc) as well as all of the old/new used electronics I am getting (music and otherwise). What do yall think? (I already have a 34 tip replacement set to use, so I don't need that included with the supply).

1. Mini CPS-1620

2. LW 3010D

Thanks everyone!
mskala
Those look like they're both single-output power supplies, and for most synth work you need two power rails, so you'd need to buy two. The LW-3010D does have both a plus and a minus binding post on the front but I think those are just the two connections for its single output; you connect one or the other of them to ground depending on whether you're going to use it as a positive or negative supply.

I'd be more inclined to look for a dual-output supply so as not to have to mess around with buying and hooking up two supplies. That said, to answer the question you directly asked, I think I'd prefer the LW-3010D. It's cheaper, has binding posts right on the front where you'll be wanting to use them, and displays and controls both voltage and current separately instead of needing to switch between them.
WonderAliceLand
I totally forgot that the -12v was a separate thing all together and not just a - terminal. I was wondering if there was a way to turn a frequency central power supply into an adjustable power supply for use in its ordinary module-power capabilities as well as a laboratory power supply to use with a DC plug adapter kit. I was wondering what parts I would need to add to see what volts/amps it is at as well as adjust it (probably a lcd display and pots but other than that I don't really know.
WonderAliceLand
doublepost
mskala
WonderAliceLand wrote:
I was wondering if there was a way to turn a frequency central power supply into an adjustable power supply for use in its ordinary module-power capabilities as well as a laboratory power supply to use with a DC plug adapter kit. I was wondering what parts I would need to add to see what volts/amps it is at as well as adjust it (probably a lcd display and pots but other than that I don't really know.

Honestly, the realistic way to "mod" one of those into a lab bench supply is to throw it out and buy the lab bench supply. The Frequency Central supply does not contain the parts that are complicated and expensive in a lab supply, so you don't get much benefit from trying to use it as part of a fancier one.

But if you really must do it as a modification, what you'd do would be add a couple of digital panel meters, replace the 7812/7912 fixed-voltage regulators with LM317 or similar controlled by pots, and then invent a current-limiting circuit and (preferably) something to keep the positive and negative sides synchronized. It really doesn't seem worth it to me when you can buy a whole lab supply that already has those features for less than you'd pay for just the panel meters to build a DIY project.
WonderAliceLand
mskala wrote:
It really doesn't seem worth it to me when you can buy a whole lab supply that already has those features for less than you'd pay for just the panel meters to build a DIY project.

Thank you for explaining everything out like that, very helpful. I have to agree with your conclusion. I'm kinda bummed I can't find a cheap dual lab power supply, two singles is about 60% the price. Plus I can put them in different locations to power different equipment...

But ideally though, like Ideally though, like (sorry I'll stop); Ideally there would be a dual power supply for around $100 that can hit 30v 10a. But I can't find anything lower than $175. Here is the one in question.
infinitemachinery
Here a variable voltage PS from Jameco. It has +,- and zero volts (GND). I've used this for developing some of my kits. It comes in kit form and is an easy project.

https://www.jameco.com/z/JE215-Dual-Output-Adjustable-Linear-Regulated -Power-Supply-Kit_20626.html
JohnLRice
WonderAliceLand, do you need a variable voltage supply for work on modular synths or just for other products that only need a single rail supply? If the variable requirement is only for single rail use, consider getting one of those single rail variable bench supplies and then also building a separate supply(s) for modular use out of NOS linear supplies like the ones from Power-One, Bel-Power, Condor, International Power, etc. Check eBay, usually lots of NOS and decent used ones for cheap $$. This is of course assuming that you are knowledgeable and competent enough to safely work with high AC voltages and set it all up with a proper case and connectors etc. For instance the Bel Power Solutions HBB15-1.5-AG is about $95 new but you can find NOW and used ones on eBay for as low as $20 shipped sometimes. ( just search for the main part of the model number you want, like: HBB15 )
WonderAliceLand
JohnLRice wrote:
WonderAliceLand, do you need a variable voltage supply for work on modular synths or just for other products that only need a single rail supply? If the variable requirement is only for single rail use, consider getting one of those single rail variable bench supplies and then also building a separate supply(s) for modular use out of NOS linear supplies like the ones from Power-One, Bel-Power, Condor, International Power, etc. Check eBay, usually lots of NOS and decent used ones for cheap $$. This is of course assuming that you are knowledgeable and competent enough to safely work with high AC voltages and set it all up with a proper case and connectors etc. For instance the Bel Power Solutions HBB15-1.5-AG is about $95 new but you can find NOW and used ones on eBay for as low as $20 shipped sometimes. ( just search for the main part of the model number you want, like: HBB15 )

I need a variable voltage power supply for testing all the equipment I get coming in, because while I have about 50 chargers, there are a lot of Amps/Voltage/Plug combos I just don't have. I was thinking about getting a double so I could also use one for testing the VCOs, Buffered Mults, Etc I build on stripboard.

Your plan sounds great. I have lots of safety equipment and am decent enough that everything will work without shorts. I also have a 3D printer and can print the exact right case for it.

Would you be able to give me a link for an example, I've found a couple results but examples would make sure I don't miss a step. That Jameco looks like something I could do, I'd love to throw an LED display onto it and a few other things, would one of these be what you were talking about in part?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
JohnLRice
You could just do a search for the one I already mentioned. It's only a two output @ 1.5 Amp or you could get a triple output one so you'll have a +5v rail for about the same price but with lower amperage @ 400 mA on the +-12v rails, which should be enough for testing most single modules? If so check out the HTAA-16W. Here's a new one:
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/bel-power-solutions/htaa-16w-ag/700 06037/

This one is less than half the price of new and free shipping. I don't know the seller but it looks like a good buy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bel-Power-Solutions-Protection-HTAA-16W-AG-53 031-18443540158-Fast-USA-Shipping/262926608944
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1