MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

UNICORN BOOM by Wellenvogel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author UNICORN BOOM by Wellenvogel
birdkid
Good Morning folks!

Just landed in Vienna and we've got some goodies from Berlin for you:



Here's the Press Rel:

Vienna-based, synth manufacturers, birdkids, have teamed up with Wellental Engineering (DI Sebastian Watzinger) to create a new product line under the brand name WELLENVOGEL.
The first product in the line is UNICORN BOOM a Discrete, fully Analog, Bassdrum and a Vactrol-based, Opto-Compressor.

The WELLENVOGEL Modules are designed to be hacked, bent and modified.
Key circuit-ingredients are swappable using THT components on the PCB.
The concept involves hands-on assembly, developing a theoretical understanding and a guided customization of the circuit. Make it your own!

UNICORN BOOM is presented in a Eurorack (3U) Modular-format.
It is a dual function, module. It's primary function is a homage to the legendary 808-Kick (discrete circuitry) augmented by a vactrol-based, opto compressor for studio and performance-ready use.

UNICORN BOOM is now available as an exclusive pre-order via birdkids official webshop:
https://birdkids.bigcartel.com/product/unicorn-boom
The module comes in fully-assembled, functional form, with optionally swappable THT components The shipping date for the first batch is set to July 2019.

UNICORN BOOM, DIY-Kits will be available, exclusively through guided workshops starting QII-2019 throughout Europe.

Video:


Sound:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/birdkids/sets/unicorn-boom-by-birdkids[/s]

Official Shop:
http://birdkids.bigcartel.com/product/unicorn-boom

Website:
http://birdkids.org/ub-teaser/
synonymist
birdkid wrote:

...The first product in the line is UNICORN BOOM, a Discrete, fully Analog, Bassdrum and a Vactrol-based, Opto-Compressor.

...is now available as an exclusive pre-order via birdkids official webshop:
https://birdkids.bigcartel.com/product/unicorn-boom

The module comes in fully-assembled, functional form, with optionally swappable THT components The shipping date for the first batch is set to July 2019...

Mike, UNICORN BOOM sounds and looks great. Good idea!

For those who would like to own it, but would prefer not to be faced(?) with the unicorn graphic each time they play it, will there be an option for a panel with plain graphics?
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:

...The first product in the line is UNICORN BOOM, a Discrete, fully Analog, Bassdrum and a Vactrol-based, Opto-Compressor.

...is now available as an exclusive pre-order via birdkids official webshop:
https://birdkids.bigcartel.com/product/unicorn-boom

The module comes in fully-assembled, functional form, with optionally swappable THT components The shipping date for the first batch is set to July 2019...

Mike, UNICORN BOOM sounds and looks great. Good idea!

For those who would like to own it, but would prefer not to be faced(?) with the unicorn graphic each time they play it, will there be an option for a panel with plain graphics?


lol I think the most diplomatic and subtle way to express disagreement with the graphics imaginable Mr. Green

Even though I feel the UB and the product line in itself is a clear statement, and potentially the majority would opt for the original. I see no harm in people prefering a restrained alternative.
So: why not thumbs up
It's kind of like a grayscale being inevitable, so might as well design it myself hihi
Ras Thavas
Birdkid, could you tell us a little more about the "optionally swappable THT components"? Thx!
birdkid
Ras Thavas wrote:
Birdkid, could you tell us a little more about the "optionally swappable THT components"? Thx!


Absolutely, initially Seb and I decided to focus on doing small workshops, basically we abandon the concept of DIY being a solder-exercise.
That's done ad-absurdum and carries very little actual info about the module being assembled, instead the actual soldering is let's say 1/4th of the time alloted per workshop.
We start by explaining the actual circuit, the actual signal-flow, principles behind the sound generation etc..
In this particular one, UNICORN BOOM, the initiated get a good grasp of how the Kick is being generated, which parts of the circuit are open to "interpretation" by that I mean we give people a range of values, be it Resistors or Caps or otherwise. You can stick by the "golden" values we chose, or experiment with your own.
The benefit of guided workshops is exactly that, hands-on yet a very firm grasp of the theory behind.
The areas on the PCB which are open to experimentation, participants solder SIL sockets in, thus the swappable value option.

Taken by Mr. Retrosound himself (copied from his FB as an image reference might not work for those without an FB account):


source: Retrosound FB

Now having said that, there's plenty of people who'd prefer an assembled module for whatever reasons, we choose above mentioned "golden" values and if you so choose, you can swap them later or even solder permanently without the use of SIL sockets.

Hope it's a bit clearer? Rockin' Banana!
Ras Thavas
Thanks, that's perfect!

birdkid wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:
Birdkid, could you tell us a little more about the "optionally swappable THT components"? Thx!


Absolutely, initially Seb and I decided to focus on doing small workshops, basically we abandon the concept of DIY being a solder-exercise.
That's done ad-absurdum and carries very little actual info about the module being assembled, instead the actual soldering is let's say 1/4th of the time alloted per workshop.
We start by explaining the actual circuit, the actual signal-flow, principles behind the sound generation etc..
In this particular one, UNICORN BOOM, the initiated get a good grasp of how the Kick is being generated, which parts of the circuit are open to "interpretation" by that I mean we give people a range of values, be it Resistors or Caps or otherwise. You can stick by the "golden" values we chose, or experiment with your own.
The benefit of guided workshops is exactly that, hands-on yet a very firm grasp of the theory behind.
The areas on the PCB which are open to experimentation, participants solder SIL sockets in, thus the swappable value option...

...Now having said that, there's plenty of people who'd prefer an assembled module for whatever reasons, we choose above mentioned "golden" values and if you so choose, you can swap them later or even solder permanently without the use of SIL sockets.

Hope it's a bit clearer? Rockin' Banana!
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Mike, UNICORN BOOM sounds and looks great. Good idea!

For those who would like to own it, but would prefer not to be faced(?) with the unicorn graphic each time they play it, will there be an option for a panel with plain graphics?

lol I think the most diplomatic and subtle way to express disagreement with the graphics imaginable Mr. Green

Even though I feel the UB and the product line in itself is a clear statement, and potentially the majority would opt for the original. I see no harm in people prefering a restrained alternative.
So: why not thumbs up
It's kind of like a grayscale being inevitable, so might as well design it myself hihi

Thanks, Mike. I try. wink

In fact, however, I like the graphics very much. I would like to have a t-shirt with the UNICORN BOOM panel design... on its back, of course. hihi

But thank you for being open to designing a plain panel. Please let us know how and when to order that version of the module.
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Mike, UNICORN BOOM sounds and looks great. Good idea!

For those who would like to own it, but would prefer not to be faced(?) with the unicorn graphic each time they play it, will there be an option for a panel with plain graphics?

lol I think the most diplomatic and subtle way to express disagreement with the graphics imaginable Mr. Green

Even though I feel the UB and the product line in itself is a clear statement, and potentially the majority would opt for the original. I see no harm in people prefering a restrained alternative.
So: why not thumbs up
It's kind of like a grayscale being inevitable, so might as well design it myself hihi

Thanks, Mike. I try. wink

In fact, however, I like the graphics very much. I would like to have a t-shirt with the UNICORN BOOM panel design... on its back, of course. hihi

But thank you for being open to designing a plain panel. Please let us know how and when to order that version of the module.


Like this?


Nearly there.. we're gonna launch merch on the weekend, t-shirt tests were conclusive and we've found an on-demand local manufacturer with very ethical products and fantastic quality Mr. Green

Regarding panel, I'll get back to you as soon as I had some time to ponder and try designs, definitely can be its own thing.
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

In fact, however, I like the graphics very much. I would like to have a t-shirt with the UNICORN BOOM panel design... on its back, of course. hihi

Like this?

Wasting no time, I see. Cool. cool

But I thought the graphic should be on the back of the t-shirt given the... rearward theme.

We're talking unicorn here, however; so we should take it any way we can get it.
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

In fact, however, I like the graphics very much. I would like to have a t-shirt with the UNICORN BOOM panel design... on its back, of course. hihi

Like this?

Wasting no time, I see. Cool. cool

But I thought the graphic should be on the back of the t-shirt given the... rearward theme.

We're talking unicorn here, however; so we should take it any way we can get it.


Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green you win the internet! Let's give it a try, I'll send you a Tee with your unit! What's your size?
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

In fact, however, I like the graphics very much. I would like to have a t-shirt with the UNICORN BOOM panel design... on its back, of course. hihi

Like this?

Wasting no time, I see. Cool. cool

But I thought the graphic should be on the back of the t-shirt given the... rearward theme.
We're talking unicorn here, however; so we should take it any way we can get it.


Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green you win the internet! Let's give it a try, I'll send you a Tee with your unit! What's your size?


Hohohoho! Awesome, Mike. You're alright, man.

Men's large, please. Mr. Green

Thank you!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group