MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend me a cheap mic
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Recommend me a cheap mic
jdaddyaz
I'm looking to pic up a mic for sampling, basic spoken word, making efx, etc. I'm not a singer, but like to add vocal elements to my stuff, and slice and dice it. Right now just about anything will be better as half the time I record onto my phone and send the mp3 to Ableton, and the other half I'm using my headphones doing the old dj trick of speaking through the ear piece. Thanks a bunch in advance.
JohnLRice
Hi,

How do you want to hook up the mic . . meaning do you have a mixing board or stand alone mic preamp or computer interface that has XLR inputs? Does it have phantom power available or not?
xonetacular
Also curious about this, I don't know shit about mics but one would be useful- xlr with phantom power available
VM
Can't go wrong with an SM57 or 58.
notmiserlouagain
Cardioid
Omni
Omni/Card.
All cheap but high quality, can personally attest thumbs up

If you want also stylish dynamic mic look for Uher M534 on ebay, dirt cheap, but good
thetwlo
can't go wrong with an SM57 clone for $15:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BSOVRY/

very useful. Sounds great, and a simple mod improves it over the stock SM57. need to grab another.
dubonaire
I can recommend the Audio Technica AT2035 for phantom power.

Audio Technica also make a good USB mic - the AT2020USB+
calaveras
First off I offer this link to some interesting and affordable mics.
https://naiant.com/custom_audio_reproduction_equipment/microphones/

second I have to say what is up with this product render?
it looks like something my dog would leave for me.

also 600 ohm dynamic mics are junk.
unclebastard
SM57/58 will do the job, not the greatest mics ever but usable and tough. I have a Blue 8 Ball which is a decent cheap condenser mic, and a Wasaphone for instant 'down the phone' sound, neither were more than £65.
slam
Shure SM57 or 58 is good for the money.

I assume you have some sort of interface? If not look into one of the cheap portable recorders. There are lots of them from pretty cheap to very expensive.
MindMachine
I use a cheap Sennheiser e822S into my Boss SP404SX. It's an SM 58 copy I suppose. For all around sampling the Shure SM57 (as previously mentioned) is likely the best all around bang for the buck.
bitflip
Another recommendation for SM57 and/or SM58, i use both into mixer with USB out -> Audacity on laptop. Not especially portable but works fine to clutter up the coffee table hihi
ngarjuna
SM57 would be my top choice. I’ve never used any of the knockoffs, maybe they’re in the ballpark...but people always complain about fakes so I’m guessing they’re not. For me no greater workhorse mic has ever been made. And, as reported up thread, they’re fairly durable mics good for whatever environment (please, mr. Guitarist, don’t kick over that mic stand...oh well).

I’ve also had great luck with Naiant Studios mics. Really great mics for the price range ($40-60). I grabbed a matched pair of omnis for less than $80 and they’ve been great on whatever I’ve thrown them on. They’ve gone up a little but the X-R line ($65) can be ordered in a variety of pickup patterns.
RickKleffel
Electro Voice RE50B. Standard-issue interview/ambient recording mic for NPR. Usefully directional, made for field recording. I have many and they've made great recordings for years, all-pro ready, some for NPR. Might cost a bit more than the Sure, but infinitely better for your purpose.

Chopper
Anything by SE.
If you want to go more serious about "proper" vocal takes in the future and yet don't wanna break the bank, they are good. And don't forget about pop shield and shockmount if you go the condenser mic way. Read about the difference between dynamics and condensers online, there is tons of infos. Recording accoustic sources can really bring your music to another level, dig into it!
ExtrasensoryPerception
SM58! classic.
smithjohn
+1 on the EV RE50B. It's very durable as well.

If Phantom power is not a problem, have a look at 12 Gauge microphones. They are a US based manufacter who make very affordable mics that also sound decent.
slumberjack
beyerdynamic M201TG is around 200 and superior. fine for everything from vocals to (even classical) instruments to live-sampling on stage to you name it...there's no need for another mic if not spending k's on expensive ones.

sure it's double the price of the sm57 (which i like and is used all over the world since decades) but it's also quite a class higher.
walshyway
The EV RE50B is the best bang for your buck. I own one.

Thots cams
spacessound
What's the difference between the 57 & 58?
slumberjack
spacessound wrote:
What's the difference between the 57 & 58?

57 has a narrower angle is better to focus on an area like a piece out of a drum kit. 58 collects sounds in a wider area so it's the choice for vocals, choirs etc.
sure the 57 works for vocals too, it even would be the better option if you work with loopers on stage as a part of an electronic live-act if you want to absorb the sounds coming from the monitors/pa while you record vocals or percussion as clean as possible into your looper.

i know i'm not using the specific technical words/description but basically this is what happens afaik.
trentpmcd
slumberjack wrote:

sure the 57 works for vocals too, it even would be the better option if you work with loopers on stage as a part of an electronic live-act if you want to absorb the sounds coming from the monitors/pa while you record vocals or percussion as clean as possible into your looper.

From that description I would think for vocoder work so you lessen the feedback (assuming you are monitoring output). Is that correct or am I missing it?
kinkujin
Surprisingly good microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OofQW-gwL0
Idunno
slumberjack wrote:
beyerdynamic M201TG is around 200 and superior. fine for everything from vocals to (even classical) instruments to live-sampling on stage to you name it...there's no need for another mic if not spending k's on expensive ones.

sure it's double the price of the sm57 (which i like and is used all over the world since decades) but it's also quite a class higher.

Yeah, the M201TG is a classic.

If there's access to phantom power, for around similar money you can get a CAD M179 which is an awesome mic for the price.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1