MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pro 2 is officially retired!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Pro 2 is officially retired!
tehyar
In case anyone was on the fence, time's up. hihi

Just saw the news via Facebook. I'm curious to see if they make a successor. This is one of my fav synths of all time.

p.s. sorry, search no worky, couldn't find the old Pro 2 thread.
anselmi
tehyar wrote:
In case anyone was on the fence, time's up. hihi

Just saw the news via Facebook. I'm curious to see if they make a successor. This is one of my fav synths of all time.

p.s. sorry, search no worky, couldn't find the old Pro 2 thread.

very underrated synth...it´s a beast

I only hope they make a Pro-X, that would be the logical replacement and a great synth too
Rex Coil 7
I've always wanted a Pro 2. There is a LOT going on with that thing!
diophantine
Well, guess I've finally got to save up!! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Sinamsis
Prophet 12 and now this. It's crazy, though I had a love hate relationship with my Prophet 12 when I had it. I think I would really like a Pro 2. Hopefully it means that they have something new and exciting in the works. I'd love to see wavetable poly synth that can scan through the wavetables, and with a filter set similar to the Pro 2's. Who knows, maybe they'll do a take on the Prophet X as a mono synth with some extra bells. I am a HUGE DSI fanboy and the OB6 and Pro 2 are the only DSI synths I've never owned (except for some of the variations of the Mopho). I have a special place for everything Dave Smith has done in the past decade and more. The UI that he started with the Tempest and perfected with the Prophet 12 has been the standard that I judge every other synth by. I feel that Moog took several notes from DSI/Sequential with the One. Anyways, it's sad to see production of beautiful instruments like this cease, but I know he will follow it up with more amazing things.
12eightyfive
At the time it seemed like the Pro 2 was the perfect synth - the architecture of the Prophet 12 with a different (multimode? better?) filter. I got the same 'eh' feeling though everytime I played with one though. Dang it was a well-built synth, beautiful synth. Played every chance I got - Perfect Circuit, must have spent hours in front of the one at Control Voltage in Portland. Never felt that 'gotta have' feeling, at least at any price I saw it at. I'll bet there's something new and amazing coming.
1040df
Amazing synth. Thoughtfully designed. A pure pleasure. Glad I have one in my collection. Hopefully people can still obtain them for a reasonable price.
Christopher Winkels
I've wanted one of these for years, but I've resisted pulling the trigger.

They sell for $2,500 here in Canada, so it was never going to be an impulse buy, and which also means it's going up against offerings that contain significantly more value for money (Prologue 16, System-8, MOXD6, and even Dave's own Rev2 or Prophet-6 desktop) if polyphony matters to you. I'd have though Sequential would've adjusted the price accordingly, but it stubbornly stayed at a place where it I just couldn't justify it to myself.

Which is a shame, because it's insanely playable. Everything feels well positioned and thoughtfully laid out. The performance controls reward a player as much as a tweaker. And the individual articulation on each oscillator within the paraphonic setup was a nice touch. But man, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I'll likely be kicking myself in a couple of years.
Gyroscope
Christopher Winkels wrote:
I've wanted one of these for years, but I've resisted pulling the trigger.

They sell for $2,500 here in Canada, so it was never going to be an impulse buy, and which also means it's going up against offerings that contain significantly more value for money (Prologue 16, System-8, MOXD6, and even Dave's own Rev2 or Prophet-6 desktop) if polyphony matters to you. I'd have though Sequential would've adjusted the price accordingly, but it stubbornly stayed at a place where it I just couldn't justify it to myself.

Which is a shame, because it's insanely playable. Everything feels well positioned and thoughtfully laid out. The performance controls reward a player as much as a tweaker. And the individual articulation on each oscillator within the paraphonic setup was a nice touch. But man, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I'll likely be kicking myself in a couple of years.

If you sometimes come to Montreal I often see them for 2000 or under on Kijiji. I think I paid 1800 for mine.
drowld
I was waiting for the desktop version all along.
Would love a prophet 12 but with pro 2 filters and sequencer Dead Banana

It was a really nice synth indeed
hopefully they follow with v2 but prolly not
Elguapo505
I have one last brand new Pro 2 for sale if anybody wants it! nanners
calaveras
dammit dammit.
rew_
suddenly mono synth is a pretty glaring hole in the DSI line

would guess they're going to release something more akin to a single voice of the Prophet 6

will always remember the Pro 2 as the moment DSI moved away from the Curtis filter, and thus when their synths started to sound really good
onthelees
Damn! they are probably NEVER going to fix the bug I found with the sequencer now... or any of the other bugs reported after the last OS was released. Don't want to imply this isn't a great synth - I love mine and have no plans to sell it. but there were some... quirky aspects, especially with the sequencer and synchronization.
computer controlled
Should have kept mine.
stikygum
It seems too soon to retire it. A lot of people said it would be a future classic and I never dismissed that because I felt it too. Congrats to Dave for making such a synth.

The Pro 2 is one of my favorite interfaces of all time for such a deep synth. It's so well laid out. It's really a fun synth for sound design and playing. Great design, great sound and great usability all in one.
MechaSeb
computer controlled wrote:
Should have kept mine.

+1
though paraphonic mode was frustrating for me at the time (got not poly).
Now, the same in polyphonic 6 voices would be amazing.
KoryB
Hoping for a Pro-X or revamped Evolver!
anselmi
KoryB wrote:
Hoping for a Pro-X or revamped Evolver!

following the DSI/Sequential way or work, I think the Pro-X is the logical step...and I bet they will use the Pro-2 chassis with a different front panel
and if they do all this, I´ll buy it in no time! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t
SweetNuthin
As a proud owner of a Pro 2, i would loooove a Pro x with two analog Vco and 2 Digital/sample oscillator (analog VCOs combined with sampled Bass guitar mmmmmh), the Prophet x filter instead of the 24db filter of the Pro 2 and some other little stuff into it...

It's already probably the Best mono on the market, but a futuristic version with some of the Prophet x features would be even better.

and also, but thats off topic, a Tempest X love
anselmi
SweetNuthin wrote:
As a proud owner of a Pro 2, i would loooove a Pro x with two analog Vco and 2 Digital/sample oscillator

this would be closer to the mono evolver than the pro-2 though

for me the great thing about the Pro-2 is the paraphony capability, so I´d go with this concept in a Pro-x...4 paraphonic "X" voices would be killer...and a second multimode filter, of course!
calaveras
Am I crazy or wasn't there a module version of the Pro Two? I was searching around and it seems that already nobody has the Pro 2 in stock. And I can't find a module version anywhere. (I really don't have room for another full sized synth even if I can afford it!)
Jason Brock
calaveras wrote:
Am I crazy or wasn't there a module version of the Pro Two?

No module was made.

SweetNuthin wrote:
i would loooove a Pro x with two analog Vco and 2 Digital/sample oscillator

I really love the samples-as-oscillators concept, and I wish I had room for a Prophet-X. But I wonder if DSI would think a mono/paraphonic synth would be useful along with a sample library. I'm skeptical that they would develop such an instrument because most people want polyphony with "realistic" sounds and samples.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Nord Wave and I find monophonic mode to be very useful with samples. But I'm just not sure many other people agree.
anselmi
Jason Brock wrote:
calaveras wrote:
Am I crazy or wasn't there a module version of the Pro Two?

No module was made.

SweetNuthin wrote:
i would loooove a Pro x with two analog Vco and 2 Digital/sample oscillator

I really love the samples-as-oscillators concept, and I wish I had room for a Prophet-X. But I wonder if DSI would think a mono/paraphonic synth would be useful along with a sample library. I'm skeptical that they would develop such an instrument because most people want polyphony with "realistic" sounds and samples.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Nord Wave and I find monophonic mode to be very useful with samples. But I'm just not sure many other people agree.

well, for just "polyphony and realistic samples" you got a lot of workstations, and "polyphony, samples and analog filters" is why the Prophet X exists...it covers people that want this kind of functionality

but a Pro-X would be a different kind of synth, just as the Pro-2 is different from the Prophet 12...it´s not a keyboardist instrument but a sound design one

4-note paraphony with 2 different filters is a great concept in an instrument like the Pro-2, and it would be great if them port the sample playback engine of the PX to a smaller, more focused in synthesis instrument
dubonaire
With all the new and interesting FPGA synths coming I wonder if this is something Dave Smith is looking at.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3