MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland S-10 keyboard repair
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Roland S-10 keyboard repair
Hawk
Hi everyone, I've got another issue I'm looking for help with! I purchased a Roland S-10 yesterday locally, beautiful condition, but with some keyboard issues. Here is a graphic showing the issues it is having:

You'll notice that the keys that won't play occur perfectly regularly every 8 semitones starting from and including the lowest D. Also, the upper octaves that reset back to lower notes will play all the way up through the octaves correctly when used as a MIDI controller only. I've seen people with similar issues on a bunch of keyboard over the years, so fingers crossed that this is a simple fix!!!
astrosound
The S-10 can only play samples an octave (or maybe 1.5 octaves? check manual) above the recorded note. It's normal for it to repeat the lower octave on the keys above that limit. I believe you can edit which key the sample starts from ( what's the proper term for this?) Set it to one of the higher keys in question and see if it scales properly down the keyboard.

Don't know about the dead keys but I'd look at the connectors to/from keyboard, their respective sockets and solder joints, and maybe consider cleaning the contacts on the keyboard switch matrix PCB.

Do you have another midi keyboard/device to play the s-10 with? If the dead keys play via midi input then it narrows down your possible causes.
Hawk
Oh excellent thank you for this info!! I’m happy to have one “issue” knocked out already, didn’t realize that it couldn’t play above a certain octave range of the recorded sample. That was the thing I was most worried about too! As for the dead keys, I disassembled the whole keyboard this evening and removed the key assembly. I’ll take that apart in the morning to get at the pcb and see if I can find any corroded traces etc. I didn’t test it with a MIDI keyboard before I took it all apart, should have, but if I don’t find anything on the keyboard pcb I’ll test that. I did test it as a MIDI keyboard controlling a Monologue though, and those same dead notes were also failing to trigger the Monologue so I don’t think it’s an issue with the sample engine. While I have it open I might as well replace the belt for the QD drive, anyone know where they sell new ones? I didn’t test it but I’m sure the belt has deteriorated over the years. It had definitely never been opened before.

edit: I found a drive belt at this link Console5 Drive Belt so I’ll place an order now and see how it goes with the new belt.
Hawk
Alright so I got the key assy all taken apart, and man is it well built! Totally beautiful and well thought out. I think I may have found a likely culprit... I'll clean it up and do a continuity test on these traces, let me know what you guys think.

[/img]
Hawk
New update, I've scraped the solder mask, removed the corrosion, and checked for continuity. Continuity on all affected traces but one, the second from top. All four scraped traces have been affected slightly, so I'll repair all four with a small solder bridge each. Affected area is very small so I don't think there's any need to make jumpers, some let me know if that's poor thinking. Here is a photo before I do the repair:

Hawk
Alright I ended up using tiny pieces of 30 gauge kynar wire wrapping wire with the shielding removed to bridge the areas where it had corroded, looks really clean for such small traces and I have no shorts. Re-installed the key membrane for testing, plugged the key assembly back into the S-10, booted it up, and guess what???

ALL KEYS ARE WORKING!!! That's a fix!

Now that I know I won't be wasting my time, I'll clean the whole thing up and get all the dust out of it, and I'll fix the disk drive as well. I'm stoked as hell to have this working. I hope this will help anyone else with a similar issue in the future, maybe a mod can link this in the repair threads post.
JohnLRice
Good job, Hawk! thumbs up

It's been a very long time since I used my S-10 so maybe astrosound is right but I don't remember it having an octave range limit? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it The reason I haven't used it in over 20 years is because the belt went bad so I took a lot of it apart to get to the drive but at the time I couldn't find a belt and then 15 years later when I finally got some belts I couldn't find the bag with the drive in it! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! Dead Banana One of these days I'll find all the parts at once and hopefully get it going again. I really loved the S-10! Lotsa Love
Hawk
Thanks John it’s a nice keyboard and I’m excited to get it back together. I was having fun recording multiple similar samples with different filter settings from the monologue and playing them back layered and with polyphony, how nice is that! Same with this iOS tone generator called LCW-2 Mono (4 patches at a time, perfect for the S-10) Totally excellent way to spend time in my opinion. I don’t know if it’s really necessary to repair the drive since sampling is so fast and easy, but I want to anyway. It’s so easy to just record whatever synth is nearest though... You’ve got to get yours up and running again! 20 years is too long to let it rest!
astrosound
Nicely done on the repair! Thanks for posting the link to the belts. My QD drive made such a racket that I just pulled it out of the case, but it would be nice to have it silently working again, if only to fill the hole in the front of the keyboard.

Have you seen S-10 Manager? It only kind of works on my windows 10 machine so I just use it for samples I really don't want to lose.

One of my favorite uses for the S-10 is to clock the arpeggiator with an external audio source, particularly drums. The built in envelope detector is pretty good.
Hawk
astrosound wrote:

Have you seen S-10 Manager? It only kind of works on my windows 10 machine so I just use it for samples I really don't want to lose.

One of my favorite uses for the S-10 is to clock the arpeggiator with an external audio source, particularly drums. The built in envelope detector is pretty good.

Thanks astro! I haven't used the manager, didn't bother trying (Windows 10 also and I think the manger hasn't been updated in 20 years eek! ) since the keys weren't working but I did mess around sampling other synths before I took it apart. Have you seen this new app in development? Looks pretty slick. S-10 Sample Loader

I've got a CV.OCD so I'll probably use that to clock the arpeggiator from my Digitakt, very flexible with CV and gate signals controlled via MIDI so that should be a lot of fun!
Hawk
Well, I've had this board back together and working great but I've found a few more issues. The Bend Range slider does not seem to work at all, the manual says that the screen will show the Bend Range value changing as you move the slider but this is not the case with mine. Also, the slider does not affect the bend range at all. Does anyone have an idea what the cause could be?

Also, when I press Rec to record into one of the sample banks, there is a huge amount of noise that can be heard. HOWEVER, if I plug in headphones the noise is completely gone from the headphone output and main output as well. Anyone have any ideas? I thought I had this project wrapped up...
astrosound
Some ideas:

I would check the PCB and connectors on the left hand control panel. Perhaps the bend range and rec level sliders are damaged/disconnected. Perhaps you forgot to plug it back in when reassembling the keyboard?

Does the bend work at all? How much does it bend? Does the vibrato work? Have you worked the input/output h/m/l switches back and forth? Sprayed out the headphone jack? Does it sound like the record level is at maximum, thus the noise?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1