MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

UFX1604 equivalent
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author UFX1604 equivalent
lisa
As you know I love my Behringer UFX1604 mixer/audio interface. Slopas good, sounds nice, recorded separate tracks, works without any fuzz.

I’m getting a second eurorack case next week that will be placed in a separate section of my appartment, far away from my current UFX1604 so I thought I better just get another one. Shock and horror! They are not being made anymore. cry

What can I get instead, that does the same thing, for roughly the same price (600€ inc VAT)?
col
Weird, why would the big B stop making them, I thought it was their best analogue mixer. How about one of the Soundcraft Signature MTK?
NotHerbert
I was waiting for months for Sweetwater to get these back in stock before I realized they were discontinued. d'oh!

The closest thing I found at a similar price was the Soundcraft Signature 12MTK, but that didn't seem quite right for my needs. The inputs to the computer (if I remember correctly) are all pre-fader and pre-send, and I didn't see any easy way to get the built-in effects on their own track. Plus fewer channels.

I ended up just moving my studio rack closer to my euro so I can plug signals directly into my interface (the 8 channel Behringer UMC 1820, inputs accessible from the front via patch bay), so I can do my mixing in the DAW. It remains to be seen if this setup will work well for me. If it does I can expand the inputs with a second UMC, and maybe get a control surface. If not, I'll probably bite the bullet and get an A&H MixWizard.
NotHerbert
col wrote:
Weird, why would the big B stop making them, I thought it was their best analogue mixer.

Exactly! WTF?
Maybe they're planning a replacement for it?
lisa
I think the reason might be that there’s actual competition in this segment now. When the UFX1604 came the closest equivalent was Soundcraft Zed-something that cost at least three times what the Behringer cost. Today, I’m looking at this Presonus StudioLive AR16 USB for instance.

https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-AR16-USB

Slightly cheaper that the Behringer, similar functions. Anyone tried it?
col
I usually ignore Presonus products because of their lack of Linux support, same with MOTU, complete Linux denial. seriously, i just don't get it

Edit: I just read that StudioLive AR16 is class compliant and works with Linux. It's peanut butter jelly time!

At least Behringer try to make their stuff work with Linux.

The UFX1604 was originally released to compete with the Mackie Onyx 1620 and the design looks very similar. I have the Onyx 1620. The thing I most like about it is all the IO.

The Presonus AR16 USB only has inserts on channel 1-2. Bit of a limitation if you use any outboard compressors, FX etc..
Dave Peck
If you don't mind used gear there are several of both the Behringer UFX1604 and the Mackie Onyx 1620 available at Reverb.com (and various other places). Prices look really good.
thresholdpeople
What about the Yamaha MG16XU? I'm not sure how the Behringer works with audio over USB, but my 10 channel Yamaha mixer only sends the master stereo track into the computer, and can only receive a stereo track out of the computer, not sure if that's a deal breaker for you or not, but I think all mixers at this price point which can act as an audio interface are the same way?
col
thresholdpeople wrote:
What about the Yamaha MG16XU? I'm not sure how the Behringer works with audio over USB, but my 10 channel Yamaha mixer only sends the master stereo track into the computer, and can only receive a stereo track out of the computer, not sure if that's a deal breaker for you or not, but I think all mixers at this price point which can act as an audio interface are the same way?

All the mixers that are being discussed in this thread are mult-channel soundcards.
col
Dave Peck wrote:
If you don't mind used gear there are several of both the Behringer UFX1604 and the Mackie Onyx 1620 available at Reverb.com (and various other places). Prices look really good.

Unless the Mackie Onyx 1620 has been refurbished or you know your way around a soldering iron, avoid it. The firewire card will probably need recapping. Not sure how well secondhand UFX1604s fair.
thresholdpeople
col wrote:
thresholdpeople wrote:

All the mixers that are being discussed in this thread are mult-channel soundcards.

Ahh. Looking up the specs now. Dang seems like a great mixer.
lisa
col wrote:
The Presonus AR16 USB only has inserts on channel 1-2. Bit of a limitation if you use any outboard compressors, FX etc..

Good point. I don’t, though.

The Behringer also has a more comprehensive EQ setup (another sweepable band), a compressor for each channel and an extra send/return AUX channel. sad banana
xonetacular
Why not just get another one? They're not exactly hard to find, even new in box still. just check ebay and reverb.

new: https://reverb.com/item/13885997-behringer-ufx1604-xenyx-16-channel-mi xer#policies-tab

https://reverb.com/p/behringer-ufx1604-16-input-4-bus-mixer-xenyx-usb
lisa
xonetacular: The price of the new one plus shipping and European VAT would be about 850€. waah
lisa
I’ve decided to try out the PRESONUS StudioLive AR16 USB, we’ll see if it’s any good.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1