MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

drum machine working well with eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author drum machine working well with eurorack
evs
hi,
which drummachine would you recommand that is working well with eurorack?
i mean trigger in and out for sync...
so far i guess just the drumbrute does this? it does not really sounds good, though..

the jomox alpha one has single outputs, maybe one could use one track for sending a clock to the modular?

any idea which other drum machine could be something?
BugBrand
Slightly weirdy machine, but equally quite interesting - Sonic Potions LXR with Trigger IO -> https://www.sonic-potions.com/lxr
I still never quite learned the load/save options and it has some quirks, but I find the seq pretty quick to generate interest (especially with the per step probability) and it works great to provide clocking to the modular. It does have clock in too but I never tried that. I just got a 2nd one because I like its utility so much!
evs
oh thats an interesting option!
with this display and the few knobs it looks like hell, but it sounds great! much better than the digitakt i would say...
Risc_Terilia
Looked at Drumbrute Impact? The sounds are better imo
BugBrand
I came at it from the TR606 which I liked for immediacy and the two trigger outs (though that of course tied up the lovely Toms). The LXR adds a lot more synthesis (though obviously also adds complexity of use!) and I/O options (both 4 audio outs and multiple triggering options). I've stuck with it to a point I really rate it, though equally I know some haven't quite clicked.
They crop up 2nd-hand sometimes for reasonable prices - the metal case version is what I got recently from US for about £250.
You can also add the 60knobs controller if you want more hands-on synthesis control, but I tend to be happy with slightly more presetting the sounds and only doing minimal tweaks to fit particular needs (but then most of my use is fairly basic!)
evs
Risc_Terilia wrote:

did not know that one, had a quick listen, it does not seem to be night and day.. do you have any experience with it?
naturligfunktion
The MFB Tanzbär works GREAT with the modular.

It has two gate outputs that you can determine yourself;
It has a sync output;
It also has CV out, which I do not understand, but it is there;
You can use it as a slave to the modular too, but you need to send a really fast clock for it to run quickly. I think the tanzbär follows a midi-speed or something like that, so it's 16 times faster than the modular. I think. But it works great together with the modular format.
Ringo
evs wrote:
hi,

the jomox alpha one has single outputs, maybe one could use one track for sending a clock to the modular?

I have done exactly that with a Jomox Xbase 888.

Steady Rim shot beat out -> Doepfer A-119 -> 4ms RCD/SCM.

It worked fine. The Xbase synced the modular perfectly.

The Sound of the 888 is fantastic IMO. Very raw. The Vermona DRM with Trigger ins would be another obvious suggestion.
evs
naturligfunktion wrote:
The MFB Tanzbär works GREAT with the modular.

It has two gate outputs that you can determine yourself;
It has a sync output;
It also has CV out, which I do not understand, but it is there;
You can use it as a slave to the modular too, but you need to send a really fast clock for it to run quickly. I think the tanzbär follows a midi-speed or something like that, so it's 16 times faster than the modular. I think. But it works great together with the modular format.

does the tanzbär 1 has the same sound as the v2? i heard some demos from the v2 which i was not too much impressed of..
evs
Ringo wrote:
evs wrote:
hi,

I have done exactly that with a Jomox Xbase 888.

Steady Rim shot beat out -> Doepfer A-119 -> 4ms RCD/SCM.

It worked fine. The Xbase synced the modular perfectly.

The Sound of the 888 is fantastic IMO. Very raw. The Vermona DRM with Trigger ins would be another obvious suggestion.

ah, yes maybe one of the more older ones.. they are not as expensive used..
888 or 999... but this would be a new thread:-)
nullpunkt
evs wrote:
hi,
which drummachine would you recommand that is working well with eurorack? [...] any idea which other drum machine could be something?

A "hello" from Bonn to Cologne. If you like, you could test my LXR with your modular.

I like the sounds a lot, but am not the biggest fan of the save/load/sound-organization-features. I do not use it a lot with the modular - but when, it is fun.

Get in contact, when you're interessted...
kay_k
I'd recommend getting the drum machine according to your taste in sound and your needs (usability) and then maybe (if needed) get a module to adapt the machine. (i.e. get a midi interface module if the drum computer has no trigger and clock outs)
Risc_Terilia
evs wrote:
Risc_Terilia wrote:

did not know that one, had a quick listen, it does not seem to be night and day.. do you have any experience with it?

Yes I have both. Better is ofc a matter of taste but the sounds are pretty different.
Halfgeleider
I use a Vermona DRM1, has 10 trig inputs and also midi. Does not have a sequencer onboard but i sequence from the modular. Its a 10 channel drummachine with loads of control. I chose this one for the sound, its not a clone from any famous drummachine, it just sounds "different"
naturligfunktion
evs wrote:
does the tanzbär 1 has the same sound as the v2? i heard some demos from the v2 which i was not too much impressed of..

That I do not know. I have the small tanzbär which is black and the sound is alrite I suppose. Honestly tho, I have kind of gotten used to it after a few years and it is very seldom that I use the tanzbärs sound as it is. The snare is nice, and the hihats and cymbals work really well if you distort them. The rimshot and clave can be utilized quite cool, but usually end up sounding flat. The kick is, well I think it sounds a bit dull and it's quite hard to tune. If you distort it it can be cool, but I very rarely use the kick from the tanzbär these days.

It is quite a fun machine tho
xenosapien
... almost on page 2, and nobody has mentioned the MachineDrum yet?!?

tsk.
tsk.
wink

individual outs, "impulse" machines that function as modular trigger sources, etc. pp., sounds great - it really ticks all your boxes.

if you get the UW (user wave = added sampling) version it can sound whichever way you like.
brandonlogic
DELUDGE

It also has gate and cv outs
And is more than just a drum machine
evs
xenosapien wrote:
... almost on page 2, and nobody has mentioned the MachineDrum yet?!?

tsk.
tsk.
wink

individual outs, "impulse" machines that function as modular trigger sources, etc. pp., sounds great - it really ticks all your boxes.

if you get the UW (user wave = added sampling) version it can sound whichever way you like.

i really did not liked any of the elektron boxes soundwise so far...
but to be honest i would love to like them.. are there any good demos of the drums of the machinedrum around, that have a more massive sound like the jomox stuff, and less clicky and glitchy?
paperCUT
nullpunkt wrote:
evs wrote:
hi,
which drummachine would you recommand that is working well with eurorack? [...] any idea which other drum machine could be something?

A "hello" from Bonn to Cologne. If you like, you could test my LXR with your modular.

I like the sounds a lot, but am not the biggest fan of the save/load/sound-organization-features. I do not use it a lot with the modular - but when, it is fun.

Get in contact, when you're interessted...

I've been using the LXR as my only drum machine for a little while and I feel the same as you guys regarding the save/load. It's really clunky and not user friendly, I've managed to lose quite a few patterns by not saving correctly.

Apart from that though it's a fantastic drum machine to pair with a modular! Not just all the clocks and triggers, the synthesis itself works extremely well being processed by the modular. It's the only drum machine I've used that constantly sounds wonderful through a wave folder smile
tiger001
consider this :

https://twisted-electrons.com/product/deton8/
0BSRVR
I'll second the Elektron Machine Drum. Excellent box to pair with a modular rig.
big job head
Quote:
are there any good demos of the drums of the machinedrum around, that have a more massive sound like the jomox stuff, and less clicky and glitchy?

stuff like this?

or this?

I'll second the machinedrum too. It's my modular's best friend.
Funky40
kay_k wrote:
I'd recommend getting the drum machine according to your taste in sound and your needs (usability) and then maybe (if needed) get a module to adapt the machine. (i.e. get a midi interface module if the drum computer has no trigger and clock outs)

i second this thought !
chiasticon
anything can play nice with modular. get the machine you like the sound of, then figure out how to make it play nice. that may include needing an extra module or a midi to cv converter. or it may not. but you'll regret getting a drum machine that plays well with the modular, but that you dislike the sound of.
bkbirge
D1000, there is clearly no other choice. twisted
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5