MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Toraiz Squid Workflow & Usage Discussion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Toraiz Squid Workflow & Usage Discussion
tenembre
Nelson Baboon wrote:

That note earlier about the cc knobs not recording - that seems like an omission, but in general - how strong are the modulations, how easy to use them in practice, and to have fun with this thing. I like sequencers where you can evolve patterns through internal and external modulation. The pyramid doesn't have some of the classic modulations, but those midi fx are great, and the recording of everything is great. etc.

The Squid works best if you approach it like an analog sequencer, i.e. get a pattern going and then explore various ways to modify it. A lot of the modulation is aimed at groove and tempo, which is unusual. How strong the modulation feature set is depends on what you like and if the provided tools are useful to you, but these can be played and modified without disrupting the flow. It's fun as hell to mess around with.
DiscoDevil
Nelson Baboon wrote:
but in general - how strong are the modulations, how easy to use them in practice, and to have fun with this thing. I like sequencers where you can evolve patterns through internal and external modulation. The pyramid doesn't have some of the classic modulations, but those midi fx are great, and the recording of everything is great. etc.

Honestly, it's a great pattern generator but some of the modulations are gimmicky and not particularly useful but cool here and there. The front panel real estate could have offered a lot more like bigger pads, a larger screen, x0x step buttons like the SP-16, etc and done without the whole speed and groove section or at least made those controls assignable to whatever you want. You can't externally modulate anything in the SQUID because the only data it responds to is clock, note on/off and velocity. The other data is passed thru but ignored. No CC control over parameters or recording incoming CCs for external gear, no remote program changes, etc.
damase
sequencer looks fun, been trying to find out though...
my concern though is the ability to have space in a pattern.
i like a nice simple pattern (using the groovy things squid can offer) but to repeat it only once every 256 steps or 512 ect...

i see the count feature, seems like it might help a little to add this on unpopulated steps. track resolution effectively forces your notes into a longer quantization im assuming but can be used to some extent with the arp and ratchet

is there anything im missing here? no pattern chaining?
just seems very limited if you like space in your sequence. for that matter it also seems difficult to have just a longer melodic pattern also
dubonaire
damase wrote:
sequencer looks fun, been trying to find out though...
my concern though is the ability to have space in a pattern.
i like a nice simple pattern (using the groovy things squid can offer) but to repeat it only once every 256 steps or 512 ect...

i see the count feature, seems like it might help a little to add this on unpopulated steps. track resolution effectively forces your notes into a longer quantization im assuming but can be used to some extent with the arp and ratchet

is there anything im missing here? no pattern chaining?
just seems very limited if you like space in your sequence. for that matter it also seems difficult to have just a longer melodic pattern also

There is no pattern chaining, only 16 pattern sets.
DiscoDevil
So yeah... this thing has been out for 6 months now and is still lacking so much basic functionality, it's like Toraiz is trolling their customer base at this point.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2