MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help with ES-5 (with ES-8 & Bitwig)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Help with ES-5 (with ES-8 & Bitwig)
OHEXOH
Hello

I have an ES-8 and am using it in Bitwig. Everything runs great, it just works. Recently I decided to expand the number of gate outs and purchased the ES-5. This is where my problems begin.

Now I realise, had I researched enough I would have discovered that the ES-5 outputs that newly appear in my audio interface via Bitwigs HW effect outs will not function. I'm hoping this is something that can change in the future as Bitwig see's the 8 outs of the ES-5 but can't send any signal directly to them.

So, instead, the use of Silent Way is required. And this is where things get insanely complicated and frustrating.

One major source of frustration is there appears to be no dedicated videos on how to set up the ES-5. For a product being sold, the fact there is no instruction is disappointing. So you're left with trawling forums trying to gleam pieces of information scattered throughout.

I followed OS' instructions in a previous thread - use the default settings of the SW ES-5 Controller plug in and test Output 1 with various numbers (1/2/4/8/16/32/64/128). This activates each output 1-8.

So far so good. But then I turn on Midi Clock and gates are fired out of all channels and there doesn't appear to be a way to control the speed. I then try sending gates via Midi, using the default settings. Playing C2 triggers CH1 of the ES-5, but it also triggers all the other outputs. I can't figure out how to just trigger CH1 discretely (and CH2 discretely etc.)

Long story short, after a couple of days on this I've no idea how to set the ES-5 up. The Silent Way software is very unintuitive and I wish the ES-5 just worked like the ES-8. Even if I can figure out how to get Silent Way working, it feels so convoluted that I don't know if I want to even use it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success using the ES-5 with Bitwig and can share any tips.

Thanks

OH/
os
Quote:
One major source of frustration is there appears to be no dedicated videos on how to set up the ES-5. For a product being sold, the fact there is no instruction is disappointing. So you're left with trawling forums trying to gleam pieces of information scattered throughout.

The ES-5 Controller is fully documented in the Silent Way user manual.

For clocks, use SW Sync. Put it in ES-5 mode and choose one of "Gates 1/1" thru "Gates 1/8" as the output.
Joey P.
Hey...I was in the same boat, felt like I was in a little deep when integrating the ES-5 and exs expanders using silent ways. I actually looked through this very forum and found that os has explained the operation of each module with the various SW plugins rather well.

The main thing I learned is that it actually wasn’t nearly as complicated as I thought, which is where my trouble really lay. Once I got the concept that since the ES-5 and expanders all output to 2 channels of the main ES module, and so any plugin addressing them had to be either on that track, or output to a combiner on that track, things fell into place rather quickly.
OHEXOH
Thanks for the replies. @os - do you think the ES-5 will ever natively be able to use Bitwigs (and soon to be Live's) built-in CV capabilities or is that out of scope / not possible with the architecture of the ES-5?

The fact that I can see the ports as audio outputs gives me hope, but of course, you know the future Mr. Green
os
That would be something to ask Bitwig and Ableton. I've suggested it to them - if they hear that customers want it, they might make it higher priority.
OHEXOH
OK - it's worth a shot.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1