MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Drum Machine + Drum Modules? Live Sound Designing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Drum Machine + Drum Modules? Live Sound Designing?
versipellis
This is tangentially modular-related, but something I wanted to ask those of you who use a drum machine in your eurorack setup - I usually have my Analog Rytm + skiff running into a Xone 92 for my live techno sets. Hopefully the issue I'm facing makes sense.

Do any of you run drum modules in your rack on top of your drum machines? I've been tempted to add one or two to my skiff. I usually play for a couple of hours, so invariably, there comes a point in time where I have to do live sound design on my Rytm, except that since there's no way to cue an individual channel of my Rytm, I've live sound designing with everyone listening in too.

My thought was to fade out the Rytm, and switch to the skiff playing drums (maybe something like a kick and hat) to hold down the drums while I pick sounds or sound design on my Rytm. Or do you guys just randomly pick sounds on your drum machines and hope they sound good? The alternative solution I had was to get a looper, sample in the drums from my Rytm, and then play it back.

Basically, I can't switch sounds or sound design on individual tracks of my Rytm because there's no way to cue individual channels, and I want there to still be drums playing while I do this.
c0rpse
I think the obvious solution is to get a mixer that can cue and use the individual outs of the RYTM. Use your tracks to double up on key elements like the kick so you can work on the next one and juggle the tracks.

You could also try making a handful of RYTM preset sounds that you are really familiar with and use them as starting points.

That way you know what it will sound like when you drop them in live, and tweaking them live will be straight forward enough because you've practiced those patches.

I think your problem is somewhat unique because most drum machines have tailored voices like an 808 or 909 rather than the more open ended architecture of the RYTM or Tempest.
versipellis
I considered individual outs, but that's not a possibility because the Rytm 2 *needs* the master fx (specifically, the master compressor) to hold up in a live environment. Without the master compressor, you're forced to have some pretty weird gain staging to boost your levels.

But agreed, thinking about it, most drum machines don't have this many parameters for each voice :p
biproduct
versipellis wrote:
the Rytm 2 *needs* the master fx (specifically, the master compressor) to hold up in a live environment.

Definitely hear you, but introducing a mixer and an external compressor might allow for even more flexibility/control, and would allow you to cue and send channels to a looper.
The Grump
Most of my drum sounds are already sampled into my MPC. However, I do have drum sounds that I synthesize in my Q, or Mopho, or Evolver, and then there's the Volca Kick as well. If I have to preview things, I'm previewing the whole machine, and keeping it out of the mix when selecting kits, or doing tweaks that don't actually work well as expressive tools live, though that said, I've had some pretty fun times taking sounds that were wrong, and creating resolution as they are corrected into their places inside the existing groove, or using them to flip the script entirely. if the situation seems right for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes I crash and burn, and have to rebuild into something that doesn't suck. It's always an experiment, and doesn't always succeed, but I'm not out there trying to be the polished arena rocker, either. It's for the hedz, and either you get it or you don't. nanners
ch3oh
The way I approach it nowadays is designing the kits beforehand, and making sure they will give me enough variation with scenes, performance macros, velocity and cv inputs mappings. Those can be used as is, or as a starting point for live tweaking. And you can always reload the kit to go back to the known good state.
To reduce the chance for things to go wrong even further I'm considering adding my octatrack to the rig for the live looping. That way I could work on sound design in the background while the loops are playing previous material and release new sounds when I'm happy. Not sure if I want to overwhelm myself with octatrack though.
versipellis
ch3oh wrote:

To reduce the chance for things to go wrong even further I'm considering adding my octatrack to the rig for the live looping. That way I could work on sound design in the background while the loops are playing previous material and release new sounds when I'm happy. Not sure if I want to overwhelm myself with octatrack though.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking of doing right now - except with using an aux/send on my mixer to a looper module on my eurorack. I think it'll give me the most flexibility for looping previous material, but also with sampling and looping other performance partners like a DJ.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1