MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gongs, because they rule! Let's talk about gongs!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Gongs, because they rule! Let's talk about gongs!
JohnLRice
Just redid my gong holder in my studio, so I'm excited! hyper hihi

Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:

WOW!! That turned out very nice! Clever use of black pipe threaded fittings too!

thumbs up w00t SlayerBadger! we're not worthy
cptnal
You've reminded me to pick up a gong holder next time I'm in Tesco.
Idunno
Mmm! Nice gong setup.

I've built wooden stands for mine. They all stack together in a nest.

Collecting gongs is a dangerous thing. You want a full set. What is a full set?

I'll settle for the five gongs I have and collect a full set of flumis.

nullpunkt
Pictures do not sound. Let us hear!
Wracked with Guilt
nullpunkt wrote:

Seconded!
Panason
Recordings don't really do justice to gongs. I wonder how having a big gong (or two) in a studio will affect the acoustics! I'd definitely have one in the living room though. It's the sound of the Infinite Void and I like that.
bradpickapiper
Hits from the Gong
slam
JohnLRice wrote:

Nice! Can we get a rundown of what is in the pic?
Heavenly3lues
Here's my live performance setup with my fiancé and how we make our living. Gongs are like acoustic synthesizers. Love them!

slam
Nice! What kind of gongs do you have there?
Heavenly3lues
slam wrote:

Top Left is a 32" Shawn Aceto Saturn Gong (gong maker from Rhode Island)
Top Right is a 40" Shawn Aceto Mirror of Creation Gong
Bottom Right is 36" Meinl Wind Gong
Bottom Left is 36" Paiste Symphonic
tioJim
Heavenly3lues wrote:
slam wrote:

And that's me on the right with three barbecues and a pair of telescopes lol
Heavenly3lues
tioJim wrote:
Heavenly3lues wrote:
slam wrote:

Only the finest Weber will do nanners
JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
WOW!! That turned out very nice! Clever use of black pipe threaded fittings too! thumbs up w00t SlayerBadger! we're not worthy
Thanks! cool

cptnal wrote:
You've reminded me to pick up a gong holder next time I'm in Tesco.
Mr. Green What gong(s) do you have?

Idunno wrote:
Mmm! Nice gong setup.
I've built wooden stands for mine. They all stack together in a nest.
Collecting gongs is a dangerous thing. You want a full set. What is a full set?
I'll settle for the five gongs I have and collect a full set of flumis.
Thanks! cool Good idea on the nesting stands. thumbs up And yeah, gong collecting is almost as bad as synth module collecting. Dead Banana You reminded me, I still need to get some flumis as I've never had or used any before! I have a few super-ball mallets which are great . . .except when I get aggressive the balls keep popping off the sticks! meh hihi

Panason wrote:
Wracked with Guilt wrote:
nullpunkt wrote:

Seconded!
Recordings don't really do justice to gongs. I wonder how having a big gong (or two) in a studio will affect the acoustics! I'd definitely have one in the living room though. It's the sound of the Infinite Void and I like that.
Yeah, any "quick" recordings I've tried to do are very disappointing compared to how it actually sounded in the room. I have some really great mics and mic preamps so I'm still hopefully that once I take some time with it I'll be able to capture some decent recordings.

There is a bit of a downside to having percussion in the same room as a recording setup since a lot of it resonates with any playback. (only way I can actually listen to a dry playback is to use headphones!) It was bad enough with my drum-set in the room but it's much worse now with the gongs! It's surprising how even relatively quiet sounds are picked up by the gongs! woah I do plan on using this to my advantage though when recording my drums and will experiment with very close mic'ing the big gongs from the back to possibly create a bigger "room sound" that I can manipulate with compression etc. cool

bradpickapiper wrote:
Hits from the Gong
I'm always up for a gong hit! hihi
Dave Peck
Just a couple of months ago I spent a few weeks traveling through Myanmar. Temples everywhere and gongs-a-plenty at all of them. Here's one of the bigger gongs I saw:

I also got to check out quite a few live music performances. Here's one that used a good selection of gongs:

Dave Peck
JohnLRice wrote:
Yeah, any "quick" recordings I've tried to do are very disappointing compared to how it actually sounded in the room. I have some really great mics and mic preamps so I'm still hopefully that once I take some time with it I'll be able to capture some decent recordings.
:[/quote]

Do you have a couple of good omnidirectional mics? Try those, set far enough from the gong to pick up more of the room.
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
Just a couple of months ago I spent a few weeks traveling through Myanmar. Temples everywhere and gongs-a-plenty at all of them. Here's one of the bigger gongs I saw:

I also got to check out quite a few live music performances. Here's one that used a good selection of gongs:

Drunken Homer Simpson
Hyberus
One of my Hyberus colleagues does gong bath experiences. And I have to say that gongs sound absolutely amazing. If I wasn't devoted to Eurorack I would be very tempted to get into them. Actually, damnit, I am tempted . . .
JohnLRice
Some back history:
Here is how it started out and it was quite nice to play to the big gongs unobstructed. I did plan on expanding it with side wings for more gongs and put in T connectors (actually 4 way cross connectors) to attach additional piping.

Here's what it looked like fully expanded. While it was pretty awesome love and I was pleased with the way it turned out, it was cumbersome and a bit claustrophobic when opened up. The wider wings allowed for a couple more gongs to be mounted at the same time (compared to my current setup) and the heavy duty locking wheels at the ends allowed for heavier gongs to be mounted (and the wheel support at the ends let me keep the torque required to move the wings to a minimum).

The wings were so wide that they needed to overlap so it had to be constructed with the larger wing extending further out than the smaller one, which made the whole thing fairly thick when closed. Also since the horizontal bars of the wings were all at random heights, removing all the gongs off the wings to try to play the two big gongs with the wings closed wasn't practical or comfortable.

Current config:
Here's the new/current setup with it's individual arms closed. Since there is no overlap the arms can be very close across the whole surface.

And since the arms are all at the same height as the horizontal supports for the big gongs, by removing the gongs off the arms it is perfectly comfortable to play the big gongs with the arms closed! w00t Another advantage of this arm setup as opposed to the big wing setup is that I can just swing out one arm for another gong if that's all I need.

Detail of thickness when closed.
JohnLRice
slam wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Nice! Can we get a rundown of what is in the pic?
Sure!

Left:
Top: 13", 10", 7" Paiste Accent
Bottom: 20" Paiste Symphonic

Center:
Left: 10" Generic nipple C#4
Center: 36" Feng Wind
Right: 7" Paiste nipple D5
------------
Left: 8" Generic nipple F4
Center: 44" Chau
Right: 7" Generic nipple G#4

Right:
Top: 24" Paiste Symphonic
Bottom: 28" Paiste Symphonic
Gizmo
Just amazing.
JohnLRice
Heavenly3lues wrote:
Here's my live performance setup with my fiancé and how we make our living. Gongs are like acoustic synthesizers. Love them!

Fantastic setup!! w00t SlayerBadger! Lotsa Love Do you do music concerts only, gong-bath/healing therapy sessions only, or both?
JohnLRice
Heavenly3lues wrote:
tioJim wrote:

Only the finest Weber will do nanners
hihi I played my Rav Vast tongue drum at a gig recently and got a few "wok" jokes. Mr. Green
Gizmo
Stir fried Rice?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4