Random Source Resonant EQ-- problems/ not working

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

FlangerMagazine
Common Wiggler

Random Source Resonant EQ-- problems/ not working

Post by FlangerMagazine » Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 am

I've had a Random Source Res EQ (Eurorack version) for maybe a year or two. Functioned perfectly for over a year. But occasionally (and it seems with more frequency) I am having an issue with it where a very high, almost inaudible dog whistle type frequency, of feedback will overcome the input audio. If I play with the treble side of the eq, then it goes away sometimes. But its just a very unstable scenario that kills everything when it takes over. Any one had a similar issue or have any suggestions?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri May 24, 2019 6:37 pm

I have not had this issue, but I think it would happen if you really crank the high frequencies (or low frequencies). Does it work like normal if you back the resonance off?

My experience with the super high frequencies is YOU WILL KNOW because they are terrifying and loud.

My RESEQ was built by ZZ Ardoz

FlangerMagazine
Common Wiggler

Post by FlangerMagazine » Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 am

luketeaford wrote:I have not had this issue, but I think it would happen if you really crank the high frequencies (or low frequencies). Does it work like normal if you back the resonance off?

My experience with the super high frequencies is YOU WILL KNOW because they are terrifying and loud.

Unfortunately that is not the case. It doesn't matter how high the volume is. I send the signal through, at any level, and it is overpowered. Even when there is no signal routed in, the module still produces an output of very high frequency feedback

Demi Jon
Switched Out

Post by Demi Jon » Thu May 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Argh -- that's no good! Have you contacted Random*Source? They might be able to help with a repair or replacement if it's factory built, or advice if it's DIY?

simsir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by simsir » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:57 pm

FlangerMagazine wrote:
luketeaford wrote:I have not had this issue, but I think it would happen if you really crank the high frequencies (or low frequencies). Does it work like normal if you back the resonance off?

Unfortunately that is not the case. It doesn't matter how high the volume is. I send the signal through, at any level, and it is overpowered. Even when there is no signal routed in, the module still produces an output of very high frequency feedback
i am experiencing exactly the same with my Res EQ.
It had been working for almost 4 years without issues. Did you manage to find out what is causing this?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”