MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best snare drum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best snare drum
msegarra
I’m looking for the best snare drum that really cuts through the mix welland has a nice snap to it any ideas appreciated
orangehexagon
At risk of sounding snarky... patch your own?

I don't understand why people go eurorack only to seek pre-baked solutions.

That being said, my favorite snare sounds in euro are from the basimilus iteritas

or maybe pick up a Machinedrum and use the trigger inputs
msegarra
I just keep feeling like when j patch my own it gets too convoluted.
But maybe you’re right and I can make my own theb sample it and trigger it from disting
msegarra
I have a basimilus i never tried to get snares out of it
cackland
Are you looking for a live snare drum sound or digital synthesized snare or a clap inspired snare?
msegarra
I guess I’m looking for something inspired by a snare but very aggressive
MindMachine
I'd say roll your own in order to meet your required level of aggressiveness.

From my experience - the 2HP Snare can be all over the place from various snare to outer-space. The EMW Snare Lab can do all old school drum machine and organ based snare sounds along w/ toms, etc. The Tiptop 808 Snare does 808 snare.

I'd roll my own. I use the EMW Noise Station for a lot of drum/cymbal sounds. But as suggested the Noise Engineering modules are real deep and might be a one stop shop for your requirements.
IEC
mutant snare! has a nice spread of controls to cover most useful snare territory from a white noise psssshhht to nice hollow thok, can input external noise etc to spice to taste. it goes way louder than you would ever need it to as well.
vailsy
I’ve tried many.. acidlabs snare (this was good but limited), bi and bi alter, Erica pico drum, mutant snare, mutant machine and while they are all nice modules I was never that satisfied with any of them for snare sounds and usability.. I guess I like gritty samply sounding snares. Tiptop tg one is ok. Recently got a Manis Iteritas and I think that is capable of great snares but it’s almost too good to use for those duties really. After seeing the new alm squid salmple, that route is very tempting now.. live sampling of manis for example
sir stony
msegarra wrote:
But maybe you’re right and I can make my own theb sample it and trigger it from disting

That's the most economic approach especially if you want a lot of other voices going on that you need your modules for.
Andy137
I didn't tried tweaking but I like very much video by DivKid about 2hp Snare.
mahler007
I have the 2hp snare, kick, and hats. I think they all sound fantastic.
damase
jomox mbrane is mysterious but gets the great snares and at a wide variety. they have a great dynamic so you dont need them super loud in the mix to hear the punch. punch in snare is super important. i usually have to eq out some lows in post though but i think thats just analog character

a good sample of a real snare in the assimil8or patched to an lpg really hits the spot nicely too
kwaidan
damase wrote:
jomox mbrane is mysterious but gets the great snares and at a wide variety. they have a great dynamic so you dont need them super loud in the mix to hear the punch.

While the mBrane videos I’ve seen are lousy, it is the snare in the Alpha Base, and it sounds great in those demos.

I use the Acidlab 808 snare and Erica Synth 909 snare (not the Pico).

The Erica is extremely hardhitting and worth a look. The only thing wrong with it is the accent needs a constant voltage applied to it. I mix a steady voltage from Triatt with a trigger to get it to work.
rew_
damase wrote:
jomox mbrane is mysterious but gets the great snares and at a wide variety. they have a great dynamic so you dont need them super loud in the mix to hear the punch. punch in snare is super important. i usually have to eq out some lows in post though but i think thats just analog character

I disagree with this a bit! It can do snares but they can be a little hard to dial in, I think it's way better a toms and congas and things like that.

imo the best analog snare is the 808; anything else is better handled via sample unless you want some hyper-distorted industrial sound in which case maybe those Noise Engineering modules are best, or just run some enveloped white noise through an overdrive unit.
damase
rew_ wrote:
damase wrote:

I disagree with this a bit! It can do snares but they can be a little hard to dial in, I think it's way better a toms and congas and things like that.

fair enough, i actually use the mbrane in the alphabase, which is basically the analog snare drum of the whole drum machine though so it is definitely made for snares as well as a wide range of other percussion sounds. i get some nice snappy snares very easily though now that ive been using it a while its easy for me to dial in. but ive never had hands on the euro module

also to add, reading the mbrane manual or the mbrane section of the alphabase manual is very insightful for percussion and drum synthesis, even if you dont own the jomox it could give you patching ideas
JohnLRice
Maybe consider using a sample player module and then do additional processing on its output and/or use a synth sound mixed in with the sample sound?
Dragonaut
Hardly ever heard a snare that fits your description in euro that wasn’t rolled with several to many modules. The trick that’s working for me lately is done all ITB but can be done in euro as well.

I create as noisy and obnoxious of a snare as I can in an FM synth using digital feedback, two or three oscillators, filter feedback. Usually despite my best efforts this still sounds mostly like garbage but the good thing about it is a nice transient. Then I EQ, saturate, and send it to a reverb with little to no pre-delay. At this point I usually cut the patches envelope to just the transient so I’m just triggering the reverb essentially. Then comes the noise gate to trim the loud, long reverb down to just a good whip snap of a sound. I guess a lot of people like to use white noise in place where I use reverb but that never gives me the satisfaction that the reverb does.

Layering this result with some weird samples yields some pretty interesting stuff.
tiger001
EMU SP12/SP1200/Drumulator loaded into Assimil8tor
think Wax records early '89-'90 / revolting cocks, tackhead

for that extra 12bit flavor : pitch +8, re-sample, pitch -8 and set aliasing to +87%
tebs213
My personal favorite is the SSF Entity Percussion. Can do a lot more than just snares too. The wavefolder is excellent, and in general the module takes audio rate modulation very well.
ipnoteca
before getting the nord drum 2 i use to really really love the AUDIO DAMAGE NEURON, there was one snare setting that was a serious punch in your face.

kay_k
606 nanners SlayerBadger!

on a serious note tho .. snare is for me one of the sounds that are the easiest to fit. I've more troubles with claps or toms (and I am also guilty of mixing the hihats too loud)
orangehexagon
msegarra wrote:
I just keep feeling like when j patch my own it gets too convoluted.

that's the beauty of modular
mookmoof
EQ's and compressors can give interesting results
Funky40
mookmoof wrote:
EQ's and compressors can give interesting results

my experience as well.

thus i´d say: sample !
then load into a sampler.

the erica sample drum has the capability to load and play sample chains.
file management is good enough to be fast in your work

i personally liked the "snarish" sounds coming from the BI.
but i think i mostly layered those with .....much likely a woody hit from a Rings.
( not beeing into producing, so "cutting thru the mix" is nothing that i have to deal with)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2