es-3 and es-5 issue.

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

allegroagitato
Learning to Wiggle

es-3 and es-5 issue.

Post by allegroagitato » Sun May 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi,

i just bought a es-3 and es-5 combo and output 8 of my es-5 seems to be broken or there is another isssue.

I'm using them with the silent way plug-ings in ableton live with a fireface uc as the adat interface.

When using the silent way es-5 controller, outputting a statc value of 255 all outputs light up except for output 8. When outputting a static value of 1 none of the outputs light up. Value of 2 output 1 lights up. Value of 4 output 2 lights up. 8 -> output 3, 16 -> output 4, 32 -> output 5, 64 -> output 6, 128 -> output 7.

This appears to be the wrong behaviour as far as i can tell. I believe it should be: static value of 1 -> output 1, static value of 2 -> output 2, static value of 4 -> output 3, static value of 8 -> output 4 etc etc.

i have no idea how to get it working properly and i'm starting to think this is a hardware fault. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

Thomas

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 am

I imagine this will be a configuration problem.

- is your Live track stereo, going to a stereo output pair?

- is the track fader at 0dB?

- same in TotalMix - is the gain at 0dB?

allegroagitato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allegroagitato » Mon May 27, 2019 6:28 am

yes all faders are at 0dB in live, in total mix all outputs output only to their respective output pair and also at 0dB. And yes, i'm outputting as a stereo pair.

i replaced the ribbon going from the es-3 going to the es-5 and now the output values are correct. So value of 1 -> output 1, value of 2 -> output 2, value of 4 -> output 3 etc. but it's still impossible to get output 8 working on the es-5.

And while writing this i turned off my power supply and turned it back on and now the es-5 is doing nothing again with a value of 1. Same as in my intial post. Now i need to output a value of 2 to get output 1 to turn on.

with kind regards,

Thomas

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 27, 2019 6:30 am

What version of ES-3 & ES-5 do you have?

allegroagitato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allegroagitato » Mon May 27, 2019 7:11 am

Not sure which version of es-3 since the pcb states it's a es-8 C v1.0 and the other board says es-3 brd E v1.2 and the es-5 is version 3.0.

btw i fixed the problem by replacing C12 (33pF) by a 56pF.

super happy.

With kind regards,

Thomas

allegroagitato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allegroagitato » Mon May 27, 2019 7:16 am

i bought the modules of someone who used the es-3 and 5 with an es-8. Since i'm already using a fireface with adat i didn't need the es-8. I'm guessing he never noticed the issue since it worked just fine with the es-8. Glad it was an easy fix. And thanks for replying so quickly.

with kind regards,

Thomas

Return to “Expert Sleepers”