MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best way to try a Buchla on the (U.S.) east coast?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Best way to try a Buchla on the (U.S.) east coast?
peaklimiter
Last year at Moogfest I made the potentially very expensive mistake of stopping by the Buchla booth. Super nice guys. I played with a music easel for the first time but you know how it is. Convention floors are tough spots to audition gear.

By any chance does anyone know of a shop/meetup/nice person on the U.S. east coast with a Buchla setup? I’d love to play with another easel and (gulp) mess with a 200e setup.

I’m in the DC area so it looks right now like my best bets are Foxtone in Minneapolis or Moog Audio in Montreal. Perhaps there’s a way to try some of this stuff out that’s a little closer to home?
jimfowler
New buchla or clone buchla? If it’s the latter and you’re ever in/near nyc you’re welcome to come and play around on my 30u system.
peaklimiter
Oh cool! I think I could manage a NYC trip. Maybe hit up Control and Threewave while I’m at it. You know, just spitballing SlayerBadger!

Did you build the majority of your modules or source them elsewhere? I get the sense that the DIY Buchla scene is pretty impressive but I don’t know really anything about it. Seems like PCBs come up every so often as group buys?
ndkent
peaklimiter wrote:

Did you build the majority of your modules or source them elsewhere? I get the sense that the DIY Buchla scene is pretty impressive but I don’t know really anything about it. Seems like PCBs come up every so often as group buys?

Just as an fyi, people are widely cloning 1970s 200 Series Buchla. What's being sold by Buchla USA is 200e series. I guess two exceptions are the Music Easel which is being made by Buchla USA and cloned, it's basically two big 200 series modules as a stand alone system. There is also a phaser still built that was one of the last 200 series modules and never remade into a 200e or cloned.

200e series has the knob position memory recall and some unique digital and analog hybrid designs

Finally there are the 100 series from the 1960s. They've been getting attention for various reasons just lately. One legit reason is there is a Eurorack co-venture sort of arrangement, and unconnected most PCBs are just now available for DIY. 100 series was pre-IC chips, does not have the vactrol LPG sound or complex 200 series circuits, but has quite the appeal also.

While there are some snags and minor exceptions, you can have 50 year old Buchla modules or clones of them in the same case as recent modules.
slam
There is a synth meetup in Norfolk on June 1. You might find one there.
peaklimiter
Cool, thanks for the info.

I’ll dig a little more into the currently available PCBs and definitely head out to the Norfolk meetup!
southphillysynths
A few wigglers in philly have an easel too! We will have meet ups this summer, let me know if you´d be interested and I can try to make sure we have an easel present!
peaklimiter
That’d be great! I’m absolutely game for a Philly trip.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1