MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Downsizing/Simplification in Studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Downsizing/Simplification in Studio
sydilaxe
Hi everyone,
Over the past year, I have moved to a smaller synthesizer set-up.
I am again thinking of reducing the total number of synths that I have in the studio. I would love to get some different perspectives on the merits of the synths that are on the chopping block. I am gravitating towards simpler interfaces for faster studio work.

Keeping:
Roland V-synth XT (and yes, I know the interface is not "simple" - but it is unique)
0 Coast
Digitakt
Yamaha Refaces (CS, CP, DX)
Op-1
Organelle

Debating selling:
Mutable Shruthi
Roland JX-03
Volca Keys
Audiothingees Micromonsta
Small modular and Folktek Mescaline

I am leaning towards keeping the Micromonsta and Keys, but I think I have enough polys to replace the JX. The Shruthi is a great synth but it rarely gets used. As for the modular, I have really moved away from that type of workflow lately - which is ironic since I have been wiggling since 1998 (Serge, Modcan, Euro, etc.).

Thoughts?
Panason
It all depends on income and available space. It takes discipline to not use ALL the gear in one project and to impose limitations on yourself. I found I was more creative when I was really broke and could only afford the basics. Buying more gear just so you can have a "wider sonic palette" is really a luxury that should reflect your budget and income.

I go by this MO now: Sell anything that isn't being used. Buy only what's really needed. I don't need any more gear- I already have stuff that I can use for the rest of my life and not run out of sounds. I just need to use what I have to its full potential. A polysynth or two, a mono synth or two, a drum machine/sampler, a computer/ sequencer, a keyboard controlle. A couple of FX boxes or some plugins. These are enough for anything really. The trick is to find the right gear for you.
Sir Ruff
Only you could possibly know what does and does not work in your unique setup. If you're on the fence about something, throw it in the closet for a month and see if you still want it then. Also, pretty much everything in your setup you could buy again easily, so why not just dump it and decide if you want again later?
UltraViolet
Sir Ruff wrote:
Only you could possibly know what does and does not work in your unique setup. If you're on the fence about something, throw it in the closet for a month and see if you still want it then.

That seems like the best way to decide. Maybe just store away all the equipment you are thinking about selling. If you haven't missed it for a month or two then it should be safe to go ahead and sell it.
12eightyfive
I did a project where I picked two synths from my collection each week and made tracks with them. At the end of six months it was pretty easy to tell which ones went and which ones stayed. The project actually started to get me to use my synths other than the op-1 which I had been using on everything for a period.
sydilaxe
UltraViolet wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Only you could possibly know what does and does not work in your unique setup. If you're on the fence about something, throw it in the closet for a month and see if you still want it then.

That seems like the best way to decide. Maybe just store away all the equipment you are thinking about selling. If you haven't missed it for a month or two then it should be safe to go ahead and sell it.

Yes, I used to abide by the six month rule (if I don't use something for six months, then I consider partiung with it). I don't have any issues with a process for downsizing, I was more interested in different perspectives on synths like the Shruthi and JX-03. Sometimes other musicians have a different take on a particular synth/instrument which might make me re-think how I use it or provide a different avenue for exploration. I have been at this for long enough to know when I gel with a particular instrument or sound, but I have a lot of respect for the different voices on this board and am always interested in hearing them.
ludotex
I think the shruthi sounds really good. It's small and cheap so I would keep it in a drawer for that day when you fire it up again and realise how good it sound.

I sold my OP1 even though it's a great object on itself, it's only good on its own and selling it can finance other things. (but you dont seem to need to sell for finance so it's another story).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1