MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Small high quality mixer recommendations?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Small high quality mixer recommendations?
lmgrovllum
So, it appears search isn't working and the mixer threads I found by clicking through didn't cover this exact use case...

I've been using a Keith McMillan Kmix for a couple years, and while I love the small size and built-in USB, the built in compressor and eq definitely leave something to be desired, especially when playing live. It doesn't really stand up at all to the Allen & Heath MixWizard I used to use. Also it's easier for me to use knobs + sliders for live performance.

With that in mind, thinking of grabbing something: a) small (only need like 4 inputs + returns) and b) high quality.

Have been eyeing either SSL SiX (cons: no digital audio output) or A+H Xone 96 (cons: RCA inputs mostly... won't ever be using the phono pre amps).

Definitely open to suggestions!
xonetacular
if you are considering a 96- playdifferently model 1 could be interesting for a live situation and has some appealing features, and has d-sub input. $$ though
lmgrovllum
Yeah, I checked out the model 1 but at $3200 and no USB out, that's a tad bit out of my price range. Really overkill since I won't be doing any actual DJ'ing... Nor am I paid enough to really justify that (live set up is basically digitakt + gr1 ad some effects).
SonicVoltage
I keep looking for similar hardware and I even keep debating between analogue and digital. The SSL Six is a sweet option. Small and digital the QSC Touch Mixer range could be worth looking at.

For now I have a Mackie 1402 vlz4 but I would like something with more versatile EQ.
Panason
Do you need digital output for playing live?
lmgrovllum
SonicVoltage wrote:
I keep looking for similar hardware and I even keep debating between analogue and digital. The SSL Six is a sweet option. Small and digital the QSC Touch Mixer range could be worth looking at.

For now I have a Mackie 1402 vlz4 but I would like something with more versatile EQ.

Hm yea, not much into the overall look of the Touch Mixer range. Also, the digital sliders don't look too great.

I used to use a Mackie like that and moving to the A+H was a night and day difference (esp using a lot of field recordings, it's fine in studio to be able to sculpt the sound, but live often resulted in unpredictable freqs getting emphasized, so the A+H eq really helps in cleaning things up quickly).

Quote:
Do you need digital output for playing live?

No, but would be nice to have that for recording and not need to bother with an interface.

I checked out a few high end DJ mixers, but the feature set is just too limited, save for the Radius 4V: https://mastersounds.co.uk/collections/all/products/radius-4v --- still though, the xone 96 has quite a few more useful live features for less. Would be wonderful to be able to hear a sound quality shootout, but don't think that will ever happen.
GrantB
lmgrovllum wrote:
Would be wonderful to be able to hear a sound quality shootout, but don't think that will ever happen.

I own the Radius 4 (no V) and have worked with most of the popular Xone models. Mastersounds is the clear winner for audio quality, no contest. If you are happy with Mixwizard level quality though, I think you'd be happy with the Xone. I use one (MW3/16:2) as the primary mixer for my synths.
lmgrovllum
GrantB wrote:
lmgrovllum wrote:
Would be wonderful to be able to hear a sound quality shootout, but don't think that will ever happen.

I own the Radius 4 (no V) and have worked with most of the popular Xone models. Mastersounds is the clear winner for audio quality, no contest. If you are happy with Mixwizard level quality though, I think you'd be happy with the Xone. I use one (MW3/16:2) as the primary mixer for my synths.

Many thanks! I figured that would probably be the case, but I'm thinking I'll be set with the xone for now, due to features + included interface. A Radius would probably be overkill unless I was actually making $ / playing big places.
calaveras
It's funny I never had any problems with the old Mackie 1202. The model with just bass and treble EQ. Nothing fancy going on. 2 sends, 2 returns.
Always sounds clear and clean to me. The 1604 I assumed would just be the same thing with more ins and outs. But it was 16 channels of mud and midrange.
In my experience the mixers with digital converters built in are just OK. Not great. I'd always rather put up with the hassle of owning a seperate AD/DA converter. This also means I won't have to sell the mixer and upgrade if the company stops making drivers for that product. Such as has happened to a lot of folks with Firewire mixers who upgraded to Mojave. The old drivers often don't work on OSX Mojave's new code base. Win 10 users may fare better (or not!).

But I'm a former soundguy. I insist on having discrete components for everything because I always think of maintenance and downtime. Even for my silly home studio.
sleestack808
cheap and high quality is not available. Get an ampex tube mixer and be unique
dubonaire
lmgrovllum wrote:
Have been eyeing either SSL SiX (cons: no digital audio output) or A+H Xone 96 (cons: RCA inputs mostly... won't ever be using the phono pre amps).

I think the other big SSL SiX con is you only have EQ on the two mono channels (and only high/low at that). I find it an extremely frustrating offering, probably more aimed at a guitar and vocal setup.

The A&H Xone 96 seems to be the best fit for you. I have a Xone 92 and a Condesa. The Condesa has an amazing sound but sometimes I prefer mixing on the Xone. The Condesa is more about blending than layering.

The PLAYdifferently is quite unique, it is really all about filter mixing. I've often thought about getting one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1