MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[AVAILABLE] DIY friendly eurorack case kits
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [AVAILABLE] DIY friendly eurorack case kits
synthcube
As you all know we have been working hard on refining our new line of Music From Outer Space eurorack modules, and we decided to make a DIY-friendly case and power kit to complement the new modules. We decided on clear acrylic so builders could show off their internals instead of hiding them since jakplugg did such an awesome job laying out the PCBs. We are so pleased with how the case kits turned out we are making them available via our webstore:

Available in your choice of four materials-- clear acrylic, light blue acrylic, hardboard and birch plywood

Three widths available-- 104hp, 84hp and 40hp. Pictures show the 40hp hardboard version and 104hp blue acrylic version.

These cases are easy to build- vector rails come with M2.5 sliding square nuts, and attach to case sides via button head cap screws. Case side, top, bottom and back panels slide together and are assembled via button head machine screws and nuts. The case kit includes the power switch and wall wart inlet jack. You only need hex wrenches to assemble the case.

You can use the power supply / distribution system of your choosing, or install the synthCube / Michigan Synthworks eurorack power kit and bussboard. Holes in the back panel of the case are pre-drilled for the synthCube/MSW bussboard . The MSW power supply kit offers 10W per 12V rail (833 mA maximum load), 633 mA 5V rail (optional). Low noise, High efficiency DC powered PSU (9-36V DC Input, 2A minimum recommended power brick). Perfect for MFOS systems or whatever else you choose to place in the case!

Supply your own wallwart to meet the power requirements of your rack, or buy the one we specified for our Music From Outer Space systems. We have standardized on the Phihong 30W 12V 2.5A power brick due to its quality and the availability of interchangeable power plugs for US, UK and EU applications.

special thanks to michigan synthworks for the case design work and MFOS design support as well as jakplugg/Neutron Sound and Grayscale!

feel free to use the thread for comments, suggestions, reviews, build pics, questions etc!! Enjoy!

https://synthcube.com/cart/cubitz-diy-eurorack-synthesizer-case

Gandalf
Sliding nuts - bad choice
M2.5 threads - bad choice (the norm in EuroRack is M3)
See-thru cases - don't agree. By the time you have fitted busboards, power supplies and crammed the modules in with their power leads, you can't really see the boards.
Acrylic - if not treated fully for static, then a bad choice
NeolithicElectrophones
Interesting design and all but way overpriced for diy. Kind of understandable pricing for thick acrylic/ design costs, but for laser cut hardboard the 40hp price is laughable.

With power the price ventures so close to some factory built skiffs that I don't see any incentive for anyone to get one.

I've bought from you all many times over the past few years, but this is the first time i've been disappointed... so overall great work!
keninverse
You can't please everyone. I think this is a decent option for a DIY case.
fuzzbass
my opinions

- M2.5 is a less common fastener, but perfectly acceptable for panel mounting. Eurorack standards are not really standards as nobody is enforcing them. Some of the things that are universally accepted (ex: power connections with 26AWG ribbon cable) are positively crap.

- Sliding nuts vs threaded insert: plusses and minuses to each. If a sliding nut gets stripped you can just push it aside and use the next one. Sliding nuts also means you can abut your modules with no gaps.

- Acrylic case + power 104hp x 3u @ ~ $320 is a decent price for a flatpack self assembled solution (about the cost of two basic non DIY modules).

I applaud Synthcube here. These cases fit into an underserved part of the DIY market and provide a reasonable level of safety in the PSU.
sduck
I think these look great! And I'm a fan of sliding nuts - much easier to get everything fit together neatly, and sometimes you can squeeze an extra hp or two in there. I wonder about the m2.5 choice - what made you go with this instead of the much more common m3? I assume it's easy enough to switch to m3 - maybe this could be an option?
TheMentat
sduck wrote:
I think these look great! And I'm a fan of sliding nuts - much easier to get everything fit together neatly, and sometimes you can squeeze an extra hp or two in there. I wonder about the m2.5 choice - what made you go with this instead of the much more common m3? I assume it's easy enough to switch to m3 - maybe this could be an option?

Pretty sure Vectors are the most cost effective solution out there, and I think they only work with M2.5
synthcube
Gandalf wrote:
Sliding nuts - bad choice
M2.5 threads - bad choice (the norm in EuroRack is M3)
See-thru cases - don't agree. By the time you have fitted busboards, power supplies and crammed the modules in with their power leads, you can't really see the boards.
Acrylic - if not treated fully for static, then a bad choice

honestly, we love feedback... in the spirit of dialogue:

- we chose M2.5 nuts as standard only because that's what we supply with the MFOS euro kits-- all of our other kits use M3 mounting screws, and these rails will work with M3 nuts, which we offer-- so if a buyer wants M3 nuts vs M2.5 nuts we are happy to accommodate!

- see thru cases: its only our opinion, but the case we have here with the MFOS euro modules in the clear clase is stunning from the back, even with the bussboard and cables. Its not for everyone of course which is why we offer the opaque choices. By the way we plan to offer more materials based on feedback from customers who want a different finish for their cases.

as for later post on pricing-- we did our best for the moment to price fairly. Of course they may get adjusted as we see interest and volume and how that affects materials prices etc.

Very glad to have constructive differences here to air out!!!
euromorcego
I think m2.5 screws or see-through is all up to whoever wants to buy it or not ... you can't please everyone.

But here I have to disagree.
fuzzbass wrote:

- Acrylic case + power 104hp x 3u @ ~ $320 is a decent price for a flatpack self assembled solution (about the cost of two basic non DIY modules).

To put things into perspective: the standard MakeNoise powered skiff is $250 (also m2.5 screws but includes the ac adapter): http://www.analoguehaven.com/makenoise/skiff/

Even weirder is is the 40hp blue acrylic without power: $135.00. For comparison, the unpowered 4ms pod is $75: https://4mscompany.com/p.php?p=913&c=9

Now, of course, everybody can buy whatever they want. But my question is: What would i recommend to someone who looks for a decent case to start with?

And here my answer is: I'd say either buy a ready made case (even the Intellijel 104hp/4u is less than $320, albeit not much. Mantis is only slightly more) and focus the diy efforts on some modules (which are more fun to build anyway). Or get some rails and do a proper diy case, using a suitcase or some laser cut service.

As I said, everybody can decide on their own, I am just saying with these prices I would also point to some other options, if someone asks me.
synthcube
those are all really valid points-- as we said we are fine tuning a bit, and you will likely see prices change moderately as we balance input costs, demand, etc---
cackland
A catch 22 some would say:

Demand is shown if the price warrants
Whelm
I like what you're getting at, but it would be too pricy for me. I, however, prefer to build my own cases. And one could build cases very much like these with maybe $40 worth of baltic birch ply and a saw... I built a much nicer case for much less and it was my first time using a tablesaw. If I were to do it again I would do fewer finger joints and use a handsaw. It's not a particularly hard DIY project to make a box and the additional cost to have it flat-packed would, for me, be hard to justify.

I like the support for DIY cases, though. Rails and nuts are great. Threaded strips would be great as an option.

But yeah those price comparisons euromorcego posted are pretty jarring.
synthcube
yes, good feedback, please keep checking prices as we assess our costs and the demand... we likely can't offer these at the same price as someone could buy raw materials and make their own, but we're also trying to be value-oriented too smile
artilect99
I think taking a bit of a hit on the DIY cases selling them at or near cost would only help business in the long run, as it would allow more people to have a case calling out for modules...

if Hammond started making an aluminum enclosure that was 3U by 84 or 104hp they would be flying off the shelves. (do they??)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1