MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Delay recommendations pls- live playable wiggle-able
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Delay recommendations pls- live playable wiggle-able
Technologear?
I'm getting serious about my fx chains, and the thing missing is a delay that I can wiggle and play live.
I know that anything with a knob can be played, I've done takes using my monotron delay before. But I want:
- good knob spacing - not 4 knobs crammed into a standard boss pedal type spacing
- good knob size and resistance - no behri pedals with super high knob resistance, no shaft size knobs like on korg volcas
- no stacked knobs - some pedals like digitech obscura has the central shaft one variable, outer section another. Too hard to play, especially the feedback rate
- analog or digital, pedal or desktop unit or rack - that should open up the options!
- nothing unobtainable or ultra rare
- 100% wet would be great
- I DON'T need midi sync, tap tempo, or bpm selection - completely manual is fine I wiggle by ear and already have a tempo synced clean digital delay (TC d-two)

I want to mess with the feedback/repeats, delay time, and any tone options live. It will be routed into my mixer on a send, back into a seperate channel.

I know there are heaps of delays out there but I really want playability as the primary factor. I can't check knob resistance on a YTube demo.

Budget: I'll save if necessary to buy well buy once.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply
lol
Hyberus
If you don't necessarily want digital, you might want to check out the Evans MX99.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/evans-mx-99-mini-echo/5414

I've got one, and it's great fun for doing dub-style effects
Hi5
Thought not the cheapest, I’ve always found the Strymon pedals to offer enough control in a small package with plenty of room to handle live. Plus they sound great with plenty of variants.
soup
There are a few pt delays in the bugbrand shop right now. They are wonderful delays and really laid out well for live use. Highly recommended.
trentpmcd
I occasionally play my minifooger delay live. loads of fun. I've never used the full moogerfooger m-104 delay, but I don't think they make them any more anyway. That would be my choice if I had the $
rowsbywoof
soup wrote:
There are a few pt delays in the bugbrand shop right now. They are wonderful delays and really laid out well for live use. Highly recommended.

This is a really good recommendation. Very playable delay, and superb sound. Moogerfooger delays are also nicely playable, but are definitely getting more and more pricey ever since Moog pulled the plug on them. Odd ball suggestion would be an Ursa Major Space Station. Either the newer digital only tabletop or the older 3U monster would be killer as a playable delay, though price on them is definitely higher than either the Moog or Bugbrand units.
Funky40
Technologear? wrote:
........... and the thing missing is a delay that I can wiggle and play live.

not shure if its for you, ( has shaft size knobs ! beside other factors)
The Bastl Thyme fits otherwise perfectly in this category.

there is no other like this. the shaft size knobs are perfect on the thyme
( the smaller the knob the faster can one make a full turn.......makes sense sometimes sense wink )

otherwise: a small eurorack in a pod.
euro has several nice playable Delays.
suboptimal
The Volante is versatile and sounds nice. Those four taps allow for a lot of interesting rhythmic variations while still being easy to play.
Rex Coil 7
EHX Memory Man Deluxe with Hazarai.

Stereo in and stereo out. Delay with 30 second looper (simultaneous use). Up to 9 user presets. I have one, I love it. Works great as a live twiddler, knobs are good and large, well spaced, "filter" control knob as well. Built tough as a manhole cover.

LINK = https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MemoryManSTH--electro-harmonix -stereo-memory-man-with-hazarai-delay-looper-pedal

EHX INFO PAGE LINK = https://www.ehx.com/products/stereo-memory-man-with-hazarai

EHX OPERATOR'S MANUAL LINK = https://www.ehx.com/products/stereo-memory-man-with-hazarai/instructio ns

thumbs up
Pugilistas
My main live-ish delay is the Roland Demora. Good knobs, very high resolution. Mono or stereo. The controls have euro compatible sockets.

Using their software set up, you can even change modules inside the hardware to fit your musical directions.
lmgrovllum
Every time I try a new delay I keep going back to the Eventide Timefactor. Great layout, great sound, each setting has its own unique uses, save presets, CV-in control. Has been a solid workhorse for awhile for me.
Red Electric Rainbow
Electrix MO-FX is almost always my recommendation. Its a solid build and I think the delay itself is great. The feedback can really go off. Its also equipped with Distortion, Tremelo, and a Flanger. You can use 1 effect or any configuration you like. It does have MIDI and you can enable that per effect, which is an added bonus.
chvad
I’ve had a lot of delays from premium to crap.... my favorites thus far for live tweaking is the tech21 boost DLA and it has been for years. i like the knobs, i think they fit in with what you want. 100% wet. tons of gain. tons filters, feedback, delay time, modulation on the delay, dotted tapped values (i know you said you didn’t care lol) and also a buffer for the delay so you can disengage it and keep the tails (v2 and up)

i find the voicing on this nice and the tapering for all of the knobs... performance wise... make a lot of sense to me. ie: shit doesn’t swell
out of control without me feeling like i HAVE control over what’s happening. the feedback sounds great... no weird delays in knobs responses (looking at you pigtronix) or fucked up stepping during self oscillation (looking at you strymon). it’s cheap so worth trying and flipping if you hate it. does well enough with line level.
DickMarker
Bugbrand PT Delay is superb for twiddling live - big dials, great sound, tone controls, excellent for dub type delay.
Technologear?
I really appreciate all your responses MWs! I'm going to be looking in to most of these recommendations, which weren't on my radar before. Thank you!
hemeroscopium
Oto BIM:)
BugBrand
soup wrote:

Thanks!
I personally love my PTs for live (constant special sauce) - though love the Eventide too (much more modern/clever but great quality).
I just had to rejiggle stock online but have more module versions tested, so can get regular stock back online imminently.
Nightly Closures
For live wiggling I love the boss dm-2 and dm-3. I really love combining them.
calaveras
I've not found many modern delays which can live up to the rack delays from the 80's-90s' for playability. There is the famous Korg SDD3000 or whatever it is that 'The Edge' uses when he is playing with the other 3 Avengers, oops I meant U2.
I've always liked the old Deltalab Effectron II 1024. It's has negative and positive feedback, and the output can be inverted. It's got modulation knobs, delay knobs, and a freeze button.
The old Digitech RDS series rack delays are good too, but much cleaner.
Yamaha had a delay with a ton of knobs and EQ, but I forget the model as well.
With most of the old rack delays except Lexicon and Korg there really is no point in buying a fixer upper. They are all going for peanuts because everyone is in the box or using some boutique pedal.
But I swear the knobs on these older ones track better. Feel more connected to the sound coming out and less like a virtual encoder requesting a CPU to update.
R.U.Nuts
Technologear? wrote:
I'm getting serious about my fx chains, and the thing missing is a delay that I can wiggle and play live.
I know that anything with a knob can be played, I've done takes using my monotron delay before. But I want:
- good knob spacing - not 4 knobs crammed into a standard boss pedal type spacing
- good knob size and resistance - no behri pedals with super high knob resistance, no shaft size knobs like on korg volcas
- no stacked knobs - some pedals like digitech obscura has the central shaft one variable, outer section another. Too hard to play, especially the feedback rate
- analog or digital, pedal or desktop unit or rack - that should open up the options!
- nothing unobtainable or ultra rare
- 100% wet would be great
- I DON'T need midi sync, tap tempo, or bpm selection - completely manual is fine I wiggle by ear and already have a tempo synced clean digital delay (TC d-two)

I want to mess with the feedback/repeats, delay time, and any tone options live. It will be routed into my mixer on a send, back into a seperate channel.

I know there are heaps of delays out there but I really want playability as the primary factor. I can't check knob resistance on a YTube demo.

Budget: I'll save if necessary to buy well buy once.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply
lol

Well, this has all you're asking for:

https://www.benidub.com/digital-echo/

Brillant UI and sounds great. The filters work really well and the volume and feedback knob make plugging it back into a normal mixer channel for feedback obsolete, so you can use it on a return track and save a precious mixer channel.

But beware: 100% wet ONLY. It's especially designed to be used as a live dub mixing delay.
anselmi
must people didn´t know that the EHX Cathedral have a great delay mode

what I like of it is:

tap tempo

stereo (ping pong) if you patch both channels...also the dry signal is stereo

LP/HP filter in the fedback loop that works great...I love the HP option...both filters operate in the same knob (CW/CCW) and have a really noticeable effect but always musical

freeze button that hold the delay buffer in a way that you can still apply the filters and play the delay time or the mix knobs

some kind of compressor/limiter that prevent audio to go havok when plays with the feedback at 100%...this is REALLY good for extreme manipulations without worry about the volume going nuts

even in delay mode you can add reverb to the mix

and of course if you don´t need delay you can use it as a good stereo reverb pedal with nice sound and features

also: it´s not expensive
justscratch
I know it's been said but:

Technologear?
Thanks again for your replies MW's. I've done a heap of searching for many of your recommendations, and saved many new searches in my flea bay. I'm also halfway through a complete repatch of my gear, which is helping me learn what I can use while I save up for the PT Delay, which is my favourite of the recommendations made. Those mute switches on it are genius, plus filters!
fac
Electrix MoFX and Line6 DL4 are the ones I have, and they're not too expensive.
whyfarer
I only have glowing words for Empress Echosystem. Definitely wiggle-fun to be had without. the dual left/right mode can get some amazing stereo fields.

I put together demos of most of the presets on a modular patch while ago. IIRC, each demo starts off dry, i turn up the mix and then start tweaking. There's also an example of the dual L/R mode.

https://soundcloud.com/why-farer/sets/generative-eurorack-empress
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2