MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OpenMusic users?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author OpenMusic users?
eboats
I ran across the IRCAM OpenMusic software and wonder if anyone else is using it here, and if so for what purposes? I like working in a music notation environment and it seems directly tied to notation, but wonder how PD or Max/MSP compares to it as a composition/notation tool, and possibly for algorithmic music?
deb76
eboats wrote:
I ran across the IRCAM OpenMusic software and wonder if anyone else is using it here, and if so for what purposes? I like working in a music notation environment and it seems directly tied to notation, but wonder how PD or Max/MSP compares to it as a composition/notation tool, and possibly for algorithmic music?

I use it, it's CAD software, computer-assisted composition. I also use Opusmodus which proposes a complete score editor and which has the advantage of sending the different parts in a DAW and to be able to use virtual instruments or hardware. But it is only on Mac and it is paying while Open Music is distributed free on Mac, PC and Linux.
Both are actually more focused composition and musical analysis, with including native functions of the Set Theory. I'll tell you more tomorrow with some examples.
http://repmus.ircam.fr/openmusic/home
https://opusmodus.com
eboats
Thanks for the info. Would be interested in knowing more about how you use OpenMusic for composing (I'm on a PC so couldn't try Opusmodus). The OM documentation doesn't look too great.
deb76
I will not forget you.
deb76
One question though, what do you do as a type of music? And what would you like to do with Open Music?
Otherwise, unlike Opusmodus where I can create from A to Z a project with finally its transcription on score and its audio result via a Daw (Ableton Live, Studio One, Cubase, etc.) Open Music is more limited for its final translation in sheet music. But it has the advantage just like Max MSP or PD to propose a visual visual programming language from the Lisp with icons representing either pre-configured functions and data and which in the patches interconnect with each other. It is in fact a modular programming very focused on contemporary music but also open to others.
Personally, I use it to prepare a project, to test ideas upstream.
IRCAM writes "OpenMusic is a graphical programming environment designed to help the composer in his writing work". But that supposes to learn the functions and to get acquainted with the notation in midicents of the heights (C4 = 6000, C # 4 = 6100 D4 = 6200 ... B4 = 7100) but also with the notation in integers used by the Set Theory (Allen Forte) where there is an octave and enharmonic equivalence (C = 0, C # = 1, D = 2 ... B = 11). A very practical and very visual notation with the Pitch Clock which will allow transpositions, mirror inversions, chord multiplications (at the Boulez Marteau without Master), dodecaphonic matrices 48 series (Prime, Inversion, Retrograde, Retrograde Inversion ), Boulez type transposition matrices (Structure Ia or Polyphony type) and different from those used by Schonberg or Webern. The combination of the two notations is also useful for musical analysis.
eboats
Thanks for the info deb76. I write contemporary classical and am interested in tools to generate matrices and things like retrograde, inversion etc., and algorithmic composition as well. Something that would be a composition aide of sorts, that could generate notation. Not so much interested in generating sound since I have a lot of midi sound sources already. I would prefer not to spend most of my time writing in a scripting language, which I assume you do in Opusmodus?
deb76
eboats wrote:
Thanks for the info deb76. I write contemporary classical and am interested in tools to generate matrices and things like retrograde, inversion etc., and algorithmic composition as well. Something that would be a composition aide of sorts, that could generate notation. Not so much interested in generating sound since I have a lot of midi sound sources already. I would prefer not to spend most of my time writing in a scripting language, which I assume you do in Opusmodus?

With regard to what you indicate to me, it seems to me that Open Music could be useful for you to write contemporary classic as a tool for composition, computer-assisted composition (CAO). OM can generate matrices, can calculate from a row P R I RI operations, mirror inversions, etc ... For writing patches, as it is a graphical programming, it is done from The pre-established functions or data links that are connected to each other is a modular script.
For Opusmodus, it is indeed a writing script but also from pre-defined functions and with a simple syntax to assimilate. In fact, I often start making a patch with Open Music to test ideas and then I finish with Opusmodus. And often, I'm faster with Opusmodus because there are a lot of specific features that save time.

Concerning Open Music, I am trying to make you a PDF with some detailed examples from which from the series Structure Ia of Pierre Boulez the operations of transpositions, retrograde, inversion and retrograde of the inversion, a matrix 12x12 of transposition P R I RI and the 12x12 transposition square established by Boulez, their equivalents with the 12x12 matrices in modulo 12, a patch established by the composer Tristan Murail for his piece Désintégration and which can be likened to an algorithmic process.
The PDF is well advanced, I think the poster in the day of Saturday.
In the meantime, I put you links.
With a video I made around the atonal triads established by musicologist Célestin Deliège comparing for the same result Open music and Opusmodus :
http://www.deb8076.eu/CAO/OMOpusmodusTriadesEN1.mp4

I do not know if you understand French but there is on this link a conference of Tristan Murail evoking his work with Patchwork and Open Music. His explanations are fascinating.
https://medias.ircam.fr/x8ec0a8

In case, but it's in French, a tutorial I did on Open Music:
http://www.deb8076.eu/IntroOpenMusic/index.html

PS : sorry pour my bad english
thedigitalDog
hello world, my two cents ... i've discovered and jumped into Opusmodus earlier this year.. this software has lead to the greatest strengths and growths in my life. you may want to give it a try too ... :-)
all the best !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1