MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Waldorf Micro Q vs Blofeld
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

which Waldorf
Blofeld Keyboard, white like cocaine.
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Micro Q Rack, yellow like coke dealer Ferrari.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Q Rack, Orange like a Cheeto. A cokeheads cheeto.
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Microwave II, blue like a the bruises on a cokeheads shins.
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Wait a while, Behringer will clone it.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 29

Author Waldorf Micro Q vs Blofeld
calaveras
Looking at picking up some more Waldorf hardware. As I am really just not doing much stuff in the box lately. And I'm missing that Waldorf thing I get with Largo, PPG 3.V etc.

Checking out the Blofeld vs some of the older Waldorf stuff. The Microwave II, Q Rack and Micro Q seem more interesting and knobby than the Blofeld. But it seems they cover much the same terrain? VA and wavetables. Though I am not really straight on which models have which tables if any.
Anyone have a Blofeld and one of the older units can speak on differences?

One huge negative on the Blofeld Desktop is the single MIDI in. So I'm kind of nudged in the direction of the full keyboard version. But that puts me up in the range of some older Waldorfs racks on Ebay.

Sure this has been addressed before, but search function. Dead Banana
wiperactive
If you go for a Q I would recommend that you go for the Q Rack. The Micro Q sounds OK but the larger rack sounds considerably better to my ears due to the extra internal DSP capacity. Better user and connectivity interface as well.
calaveras
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was much difference aside from the voice count.
The Q rack does have wavetables too right?
I'm kind of leaning that direction lately since it has more knobs and I feel sometimes the older digital stuff has a more robust output.
timeforest
MWXT!
chocolatyshatner
MicroQ is similar to the Q and Q rack, but with less programming functionality and (usually, uQ uses dymanically allocated DSP, Q does not) fewer voices and effects available. Qrack has 2 wavetables with 32 interpolated waves that Osc1 & Osc2 can select from. Q can run microQ programs, but microQ can't run all Q programs due to microQ limitations.
chocolatyshatner
Largo is most like the Blofeld voice engine. Q and Q rack are similar, but have a lot fewer wavetables available. Blofeld and Q have a somewhat different sound character, but they both sound like Waldorf synths if that makes sense. As far as programming goes, Q isn't THAT much nicer to program than the Blofeld. Even with the Qkb, you have to press the SHIFT button to access a lot of functions. The Q has a step sequencer per voice that can be routed multiple modulation locations, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to use. Both Q and Blofeld have appregiators.

So, is it worth it to get a Qrack over a Blofeld? Maybe if you find a good deal, or you get to demo a Q and gel with it over the Blofeld. Q does have a pretty extensive multimode, you can allocate each of the 16 voices to different patches and midi channels and 3 stereo outputs with different sequences and appregiators running at the same time, so it really can do a lot. But there can be A LOT of menu diving involved in setting up multimode. I don't think the Blofeld is capable of the same type of multitimbrality as the Q. I'd for sure take a Blofeld over a microQ though.
chocolatyshatner
FYI, a major concern with Qs are the encoders. They're notorious for getting flakey, and on my Q a few of the encoders have always given me issues. The seller I bought it from didn't tell me, and I didn't know to ask. But I got a good deal on it over 10 years ago. Not sure if the Blofeld has encoder issues or not, I've never owned one.
Monotremata
If its the Largo and PPG you're missing, I dont know why you would even bother with the MicroQ. I have both, and a Microwave XT (notice the avatar, my cats are fascinated with that orange Nextel paint). The MicroQ is what you want if you want to do analog synthesis.

The Blofeld IS Largo in a box. Its like the Microwave and the MicroQ got together, did a bunch of blow and banged and had a mutant space baby.

The Q/Q rack/Micro Q have the same two 'neutered' wavetables in them. They're called Alt1 and Alt2. Theyre kind of like a greatest hits teaser with waves from all the other tables in the MW family. Theyre more like a 'ooooh look I can pretend Im doing WT synthesis' thing. Theyre both in the Blofeld and Largo, which also have the entire set of waves from the Microwave/PPG and the PPGs upper waves. Not to mention you can make your own wavetables too.

The Q series was designed to be Waldorf's flagship virtual analog. The two wavetables were thrown in just to remind people 'Oh yeah this is where Waldorf came from'. They were an afterthought and weren't even something they pushed in any of the marketing, it was all about being the biggest, baddest, most realistic virtual analog. If that's what you use Largo for, then the Q would be awesome. It was the rather high priced competition to stuff like the original Nord Lead and the Access Virus A. The Blofeld is technically a descendant of it as the code came from the Micro Q which was based on the Q, but the Blofeld was designed with wavetables in mind first and foremost.

The original runs of the Blofeld had some encoder issues.. But that was a long time ago and Im not sure if that was a firmware or hardware issue. Mine was bought brand new in 2017 and works fine, unlike the encoders on my XT which are starting to get very jumpy to the point of where I just change patches in my DAW now and only program it with Sound Diver. Luckily the knobs haven't started crumbling yet at least!
calaveras
Yeah, I'd tripped over stories of encoder issues when I have been trying to research the various Waldorf models.
It certainly seems the Microwaves and Q+ models have gone up a lot in price on Ebay recently. I remember the first time I looked into this a few years ago, most of the Waldorf rack units were much more affordable. Now it seems like all the pieces have been goosed up in price. Even the dogs.
supersuper
JUST GET LARGO; SAME ENGINE
calaveras
ALREADY HAZ LARGO
Panason
You are a bad man, stop pushing cocaine!

Quote:
Qrack

FFS! help

BTW the Blofeld is not much good for bass of any kind. Great for metallic cutting poly sounds and ambient stuff. Easy and fairly comforable to edit (unlike the Pulse 2) so long as you don't want multi-timbral. Endoders should be good on more recent units.
mome rath
Panason wrote:

BTW the Blofeld is not much good for bass of any kind.

disagree with this

anyways, get a quantum w00t
calaveras
yeah I want to get the Quantum. I actually may be inheriting some money later this year from my mom. She passed away last month.
But that's a long way away.
In the meantime I'm addicted to Ebay searching Waldorf. I'm also intruiged by teh idea that certain digital synths get some of their sound from their hardware. Converters, output transfer function, even the jitter that the hardware introduces. I think that a hardware Waldorf synth, even without analog filters is going to sound a lot different than Largo or PPG V3 through a UAD Apollo with it's smooth clean conversion.
The Grump
I have a Q Rack, an MW1 rev A with Access programmer, a μQ, and have owned a Pulse+. I've used a Blofeld and next to the Q or MW it sounds a bit cheap and flimsy to me. The μQ while undeniably closely related to the Q, is not the same animal. The Q's tonality is richer, deeper, and far more capable of producing tones that can hold their own in the spotlight. The Q can also do patch morphing in real time between presets, which can produce some rather otherworldly and unexpected tones. None of the other units will do that, to my knowledge.

Another point is that the Q's onboard sequencer and arpeggiator are kiler. Food for thought.
calaveras
Thanks.
Honestly, Largo is very powerful and probably do a lot of these things. Not sure about patch morphing though. And honestly, even if Blofeld, Q and Largo sound the same. I'd be paying for hardware to avoid trying to fiddle with the skirts on the knobs in Largo. Or the step sequencer. Ugh.
Shledge
I have a Blofeld. Love it to bits.

It's one of Waldorf's most versatile synths outside the Quantum. Far more than any of the Q range.
gruebleengourd
I don't see much reason to get a micro-q vs blofeld. Drum-mode and the multi outputs are the only pluses in the micro's favor.
Blofeld is not exactly Largo in a box, but it's close. I have both, but use the blofeld more, just cause I find programming VSTs less entertaining and I like to use my own sequencer without having to pipe midi into a DAW.

The real answer is to get a microwave XT.
anselmi
microwave XT or the original Microwave I
adnauseam
I've got a micro Q and while I like many features of the engine.. the interface is poorly designed and it's not fun to use. It's packed in a box right now because it's not fun to use

I recently picked up a virus b and I'm not sure I'll ever use the micro Q again.

The difference in sound, overall features and most importantly the interface design, to me, make it superior than the recent Waldorf stuff.
calaveras
whoops how did that happen? deleted.
mome rath
calaveras wrote:
yeah I want to get the Quantum. I actually may be inheriting some money later this year from my mom. She passed away last month.

sorry dude
dubonaire
calaveras wrote:
I think I am just going to get Dynaudio BM5A MKIIIs.
I already have a Dynaudio sub so it seems an easy fit.

No wavetables though.

The Blofeld encoder problem was a firmware issue.

And my condolences.
calaveras
dubonaire wrote:
calaveras wrote:

No wavetables though.

And my condolences.

I was looking at another thread around the same time, must have goofed up which one I was typing in. But I swear I read some more speaker things then posted that as a reply. Generally my MO. Read>Post.
I did have a lot of coffee in the middle of the day though. seriously, i just don't get it
dubonaire
calaveras wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
calaveras wrote:

No wavetables though.

And my condolences.

I was looking at another thread around the same time, must have goofed up which one I was typing in. But I swear I read some more speaker things then posted that as a reply. Generally my MO. Read>Post.
I did have a lot of coffee in the middle of the day though. seriously, i just don't get it

For what it's worth I voted Blofeld, although it's quite bizarre how much I am attracted to the earlier Waldorf gear. I bet I would get frustrated and not use them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2