MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[COMING} TTSH V4 Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [COMING} TTSH V4 Build Thread
synthcube
Coming soon--- TTSH V4

We are pleased to announce the forthcoming release of TTSH v4!
In collaboration with Human Comparator, we have taken the TTSH v3, modified and updated it, and are making it available again Spring/Summer 2019!

We will be offering the TTSH v4 in five configurations:

1. Assembled and Tested: includes one-year warranty (preliminary pricing US$3499)

2. Full Kit Including Case: PCB Set, Panel, Full Parts Kit, Metal Case- everything you need to build a TTSH (preliminary pricing US$1499)

3. Full Kit Less Case: PCB Set, Panel, Full Parts Kit, No Case—make your own enclosure! (preliminary pricing US$1299)

4. PCB Set + Panel + Case: source your own parts! (preliminary pricing US$699)

5. PCB Set + Panel: Source your own parts and make your own enclosure! (preliminary pricing US$499)

We will also be making the entire BOM available via an ala-carte parts order form--- order only those specific parts you need to complete your build.

Estimated Timing: Prototyping will run from now until approximately July 15, 2019. We will be building up a few v4 examples to test the case / panel fit, PCB functionality, confirm the BOM et al.

Pre-order instructions: We are accepting pre-order DEPOSITS of $199. The deposit will secure your place in the distribution queue. The deposit is refundable ONLY in the form of store credit; if you decide later that you do not want your TTSH, you can convert your deposit amount to a store credit voucher. Once inventory is available, orders will be fulfilled in the same order as deposits are received.

Note about pricing: Pre-order prices are estimates. If final retail prices increase, then pre-order customers will be locked in at pre-order pricing. If final retail pricing decreases, then pre-order customers will be protected, and the balance due on the purchase will reflect the lower retail price.

TTSH V4 pre-order product page: https://synthcube.com/cart/ttsh-v4

TTSH v4 includes the following updates from V3:

1. Corrected the Pin out for the 2N3954/8

2. Corrected the missing trace on the filtercard 4072

3. Corrected the bc558 wring pinout on 4012 VCF Card

4. Corrected the ‘via’ filling that created issues with jacks

5. Add mainboard VCF header missing -15V power

6. Add mounting hole for Gatebooster PCB standoff

7. Removed dimming autostart on LED

8. PCB set includes Gatebooster and VCO Synch sub-PCBs; full kits include necessary parts for those sub-PCBs

Original TTSH V3 build thread for reference: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172383

Original TTSH Discussion Thread for reference:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82997&highlight=
synthcube
placeholder post for BOM and other reference documents when available

working draft of TTSH v4 BOM as of 12 jUNE 2019:

updated with draft BOM dated 8/11/2019
Eric the Red
Is this something that you guys will regularly keep,in stock?
synthcube
It is, yes.
vav
I'm on the fence. I've built i think 5 or 6 module kits and never had an issue, but the sheer scale of this build makes me wary.
diophantine
vav wrote:
I'm on the fence. I've built i think 5 or 6 module kits and never had an issue, but the sheer scale of this build makes me wary.

If it is like earlier versions (I built a v2), it is very do-able with that level of experience. Each "module" had its own jumpers for power so you could power & test each one individually. Just take your time with aligning and soldering the jacks.
moogah
Dude. My wallet. Please stop hyper Dead Banana
Eric the Red
moogah wrote:

That’s why I asked my question... thinking this might be a 2020 purchase smile
Jaytee
diophantine wrote:
vav wrote:

If it is like earlier versions (I built a v2), it is very do-able with that level of experience. Each "module" had its own jumpers for power so you could power & test each one individually. Just take your time with aligning and soldering the jacks.

Only the V1 has power wiring like this. V2&3 (and presumably 4) how power integrated into a 4-layer PCB. There is a way to disconnect power to specific modules on these subsequent revisions, but it requires trace-cutting and is more of a last-resort thing.

That said, it’s still not *that* difficult of a build. Most of the common mistakes have been well-documented at this point, and if you can take things slow and carefully, it’s well within the ability of most builders who have at least a little building/troubleshooting practice. Certainly not a beginner’s project, but also not something that should scare off all but the most experienced.
diophantine
Jaytee wrote:
Only the V1 has power wiring like this. V2&3 (and presumably 4) how power integrated into a 4-layer PCB.

Interesting, I always thought I was a late adopter! w00t I never used those jumpers myself as they seemed a bit superfluous, but didn't mind them.
synthcube
moogah wrote:

next up us the next run of 1601 sequencer pcbs, panels kits and cases smile
Pseudo
For those of us who have previous versions of the TTSH will there be the option to purchase the case separately?

My woodworking skills are not the best and I do regret not purchasing the original metal case when available from THC.
synthcube
Yes we will be happy to add that option... thanks
fuzzbass
vav wrote:

Its a big project, with a big reward. Between versions 1-3, V2 was the easiest build, because V3 was full of board level bugs that required tracking and fixing. With those bugs worked out of V4, it should be as easy as V2. The V3 design is superior to V2, especially with the DC-DC converters moved off the main board. It is possible to build the PSU to be very quiet.

There are a lot of people here who have built multiple TTSHs. I have built twelve. So you won't be alone with it.
chiavere
Great news, @synthcube!

Will there be an option for a covered travel case with the pre-built option, or only a studio case?

Thanks!
jonny_w
Awesome news! How long will the pre-order be open for?
Jaytee
Don’t mean to add a bunch of noise to this thread, but damn.... I’m excited for this. Don’t know when I’ll be able to afford to start this project but it just warms my heart to have the option available again.
ultravox
I'm happy to see the TTSH will still be available for people wanting the ARP 2600 sound.

I wish much success to this project! thumbs up
LektroiD
Count me in for a PCB/Panel set. However, I can't afford the deposit just now, will there be extras made, or is this only for those who pre-order?
moogah
LektroiD wrote:
Count me in for a PCB/Panel set. However, I can't afford the deposit just now, will there be extras made, or is this only for those who pre-order?

Pretty sure he's planning on stocking these grin
synthcube
chiavere wrote:
Great news, @synthcube!

Will there be an option for a covered travel case with the pre-built option, or only a studio case?

Thanks!

we are looking into that-- we hope so!
synthcube
moogah wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

Pretty sure he's planning on stocking these grin

yes to clarify-- the pre-order should be open through about end of June. We will make and stock extra units, so if you don't want to jump in the pre-order, it will be a stocked item going forward. And of course we will have a demo unit or two set up here in the physical shop if you want to come play with one before you buy ....
BillLynes
Just pre-ordered a PCB and panel set. Can't wait to get started
The Peasant
Will you be fixing the power amplifier issue so that it is designed to drive 8 ohm speakers instead of the original 32 ohm?

Take care,
Doug
Jaytee
If it’s still using the 2600 power amps, here is an alternate speaker that fits the footprint perfectly and provides a good load for the amps. https://www.jameco.com/z/FEB30045-Arndt-45-ohm-Square-Alnico-Speaker-9 0-dB_2236674.html

Cheap and lo-fi, but you don’t use built-in speakers for pristine signal reproduction. You use them for quickly auditioning patches and sometimes mic’ed up for character. Either way the cheap ones are good. wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3