MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MMI Modular Two Nine Five (Buchla Model 295 in Eurorack)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author MMI Modular Two Nine Five (Buchla Model 295 in Eurorack)
MMI Modular
Introducing an underrated Buchla module to the eurorack scene!

Two Nine Five is a direct descendant on the Model 295 10-channel comb filter. It is a resonant fixed filter bank architecture with a clever 180° phase shift between channels, creating lush phasing sounds as bands are moved about. The middle 8 channels have tunable gain and center frequency and are capable of some pretty nasty oscillation if you crank them all the way up. Two Nine Five is rather useful as an EQ and feedback controller by itself, though it really starts to shine as soon as you patch the individual outputs to other modules. My favorite is taking 4 or 5 bands to VCAs and modulating them with unsynced LFOs, making the input have almost "watery" movement. (Check out demo #3 on the product page to hear what I'm talking about)

A rudimentary tutorial video is in the works but if you'd like to see Two Nine Five in action, lightbath used it in his new song Cincin ke Awan: https://youtu.be/HhO3SkB2kEs

Deeper reading and sound demos are available at www.mmimodular.com for those who would like to learn more. I'll also be keeping track of this thread, answering questions and keeping everyone up to date with regard to stock/retailers. For now I am offering a small batch direct from me and I plan on reaching out to retailers worldwide to increase accessibility to non-USA wigglers smile

Happy Wiggling!
dComposer
I just wanted to add that I had the pleasure of building/testing this module and it's so incredibly fun to carve out really specific frequency bands of audio. I use this all the time. Excellent job, MMI!
vibralux
Looks nice but I believe it has been introduced by Feedback Modules some time ago Mr. Green
Ras Thavas
I saw a live demo by Ron Pelligrino of his Buchla system probably 30 years ago, and he featured the 295 by feeding simple white noise into it and playing a piece by shifting the band sliders. I remember it sounded wonderful.
MMI Modular
vibralux wrote:
Looks nice but I believe it has been introduced by Feedback Modules some time ago Mr. Green

You must be thinking of the Feedback Modules Two59, which would probably make a great pairing with this Two Nine Five smile
Crazy how close those names are, hopefully they don't get confused too often!
MMI Modular
Ras Thavas wrote:
I saw a live demo by Ron Pelligrino of his Buchla system probably 30 years ago, and he featured the 259 by feeding simple white noise into it and playing a piece by shifting the band sliders. I remember it sounded wonderful.

I fell in love with the Model 295 after playing around on a Buchla 200 system at Oberlin Conservatory of Music. It's a relatively simple design but can sound absolutely stellar when you have lots of harmonics to bring in and out. Part of the charm is probably the funky center frequencies Buchla chose.

UncleRoel
I have one. It's great for string synth type of sounds too. If you have something like the polyg or edges and you run it thru the 295, you instantly loose the digital feel and enter string synth realms.
natureclubcassettes
really, really cool, and i love the sliders. will you be offering a vanilla grey panel for the boring people like me that like that sort of stuff??

i guess the answer is frontpanelexpress if you have the measurements
MMI Modular
natureclubcassettes wrote:
really, really cool, and i love the sliders. will you be offering a vanilla grey panel for the boring people like me that like that sort of stuff??

i guess the answer is frontpanelexpress if you have the measurements

Right now I only plan on offering the matte black panels for my modules to keep a consistent theme. Even at medium volume those things cost quite a bit and my wallet can only handle so much at the moment. Maybe later down the line if sales are good I can get some nice bare aluminum panels made up much like Qu-Bit does!

That said, if you would like to make a panel to match your system, I would be happy to provide a basic panel mockup for you to base yours off of! Saves you having to fiddle around with calipers all day smile
Euro Trash Bazooka
Great idea but I just can't hang with horizontal sliders. I understand the need to save HPs but, in my humble opinion, it shouldn't be detrimental to playability. Moving horizontal sliders isn't natural compared to vertical ones...
MMI Modular
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:
Great idea but I just can't hang with horizontal sliders. I understand the need to save HPs but, in my humble opinion, it shouldn't be detrimental to playability. Moving horizontal sliders isn't natural compared to vertical ones...

You're totally right about HP saving. Initially it was going to have vertical sliders but that put it around the 25-30hp mark and I know that wouldn't have sat too well with the majority of the euro crowd. You'd be surprised how usable the horizontal sliders are though, I quite like them.

That said, there is an expansion header on the back of the board which contains all 10 channels on a 1.27mm pitch pin header. This will allow it to be routed easily through future modules that I think you might like. Once those other modules are finished I will be including cables to hook them together so no worries about having to track them down yourself.

joem
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:

Get two blank panels (maybe 2hp-4hp?), drill some holes in them the same distance apart as the holes in the module are horizontally separated, then bolt the module onto the blank panels. Screw the blank panels into your rack and you've now installed this module sideways. Instant vertical sliders! hihi

(Not that I would do that... I think the horizontal sliders are fine.)
MMI Modular
joem wrote:

Get two blank panels (maybe 2hp-4hp?), drill some holes in them the same distance apart as the holes in the module are horizontally separated, then bolt the module onto the blank panels. Screw the blank panels into your rack and you've now installed this module sideways. Instant vertical sliders! hihi

Maybe this could be made as an adapter for the vertical slider crowd.
Either that or a substitute panel. If anyone is interested in such a thing let me know and I can get one made up.
Prunesquallor
Will there be a DIY option?
thetwlo
vibralux wrote:

citation needed. seriously, i just don't get it meh
thetwlo
Prunesquallor wrote:

https://pushermanproductions.com/product/mmi-modular-two-nine-five-buc hla-comb-filter-pcb-14hp-black-gold-aluminium-panel/
MMI Modular
Prunesquallor wrote:

Yup! As thetwlo linked, there are PCB/panel sets available on Pusherman and Modular Addict.

https://modularaddict.com/manufacturer/mmi

https://pushermanproductions.com/product-tag/mmi-modular/

It is worth noting that the expansion header is not included in the DIY offerings. This isn't such a big deal, it will just mean you'll have to patch a few more cables if you pick up some of my future designs.
fwheel
Can't wait to have this at the EU retailers. I used to have the Bark Filter and FxdF and I've been yearning to get a fixed filter in my system once again.
MMI Modular
fwheel wrote:
Can't wait to have this at the EU retailers. I used to have the Bark Filter and FxdF and I've been yearning to get a fixed filter in my system once again.

International shipping from my shop is only $15 until the 17th! Beware import taxes though.

Is there a particular shop you like to browse? I am a bit unfamiliar with EU retailers and need to decide on who to contact
fwheel
MMI Modular wrote:
fwheel wrote:

International shipping from my shop is only $15 until the 17th! Beware import taxes though.

Is there a particular shop you like to browse? I am a bit unfamiliar with EU retailers and need to decide on who to contact

Schneidersladen in Berlin is the greatest of them all smile

Yeah, to Finland it's 24% VAT plus customs fee so the prices from US tend to get a bit out of hand always...
MMI Modular
fwheel wrote:

Schneidersladen in Berlin is the greatest of them all smile

Yeah, to Finland it's 24% VAT plus customs fee so the prices from US tend to get a bit out of hand always...

I will get in contact with them then smile

For now I'm looking to get these to maybe 1 or 2 shops in the EU, US, and maybe some guys across the pacific. As the catalog expands hopefully the number of shops will too!
vibralux
Quote:
You must be thinking of the Feedback Modules Two59, which would probably make a great pairing with this Two Nine Five smile
Crazy how close those names are, hopefully they don't get confused too often!

My mistake, sorry. Its indeed Two59 hmmm.....
MMI Modular
Last day to pick one up with free shipping! Deal ends tomorrow morning as soon as I wake up.

In other news, Schneidersladen responded to my email smile Will update if they order some units.
defalut
Very cool module. I accidentally got the pcb and panel in the mail and was told to keep them (thanks, you know who you are!) and thought of trading them but now i think i will build it.

As mentioned, using a few LFO´s on it ought to be pretty cool and reward handsomely, making patches really alive.

Not looking forward to trimming it in though.. Guinness ftw!
MMI Modular
defalut wrote:
Very cool module. I accidentally got the pcb and panel in the mail and was told to keep them (thanks, you know who you are!) and thought of trading them but now i think i will build it.

As mentioned, using a few LFO´s on it ought to be pretty cool and reward handsomely, making patches really alive.

Not looking forward to trimming it in though.. Guinness ftw!

The trimming isn't all that bad! Especially if you have one of these trim-pot drivers so you aren't slipping off the screw every two seconds.

There's a guide on how to do it relatively quickly on my Github: https://github.com/MMImodular/Modules/tree/master/Two%20Nine%20Five

Of course if you run in to any issues feel free to ask either here or in the Model 295 thread on the DIY forum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2