MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

awesome Swiss synth museum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author awesome Swiss synth museum
Dave Peck
I knew about several synth museums but I had not heard about this one in Switzerland until today. Pretty amazing!

(although what on earth is up with the tiled walls in the 'play room' at the end of the video? Terrible acoustics in there!)

Sir Ruff
I find places like these really depressing. Their current ambitions for making a more functionable and accessible space are good, but synthesizer museums based on somebody’s collection never seem destined to succeed. And in the meantime you have things, including doubles (or more) of things, sitting unused :(
UltraViolet
That is a truly amazing collection of vintage synth equipment. I think it it great that someone is preserving all that old equipment. I don't think it is bad that they have multiples. If one dies then there are still others for people to be able to play in the playroom.
supersuper
I watch that and I laugh at myself for having wanted to own a big collection of synths in the past.

Being in a room with a laptop and a midi keyboard has taught me a lot more than any of the mountains of gear I used to own.

It would be nice there were libraries of gear like this in most major countries where people could come in with their laptops, samplers and tape machines and record for a nominal fee.
Panason
Incredibly rough handling of vintage gear. I can't believe they allowed him to pick things up, or mash on the keys. Not very Swiss!
ExtrasensoryPerception
Holy crap. I gotta go there next time Im there!
Is it actually open to the public?
Dave Peck
ExtrasensoryPerception wrote:
Holy crap. I gotta go there next time Im there!
Is it actually open to the public?

Hard to say. Their website is essentially worthless. Doesn't seem to have any info about location, hours, etc. and doesn't even have a 'contact' option:

https://smemmusic.ch/

hmmm.....
phisynth
Dave Peck wrote:

Hard to say. Their website is essentially worthless. Doesn't seem to have any info about location, hours, etc. and doesn't even have a 'contact' option:

https://smemmusic.ch/

hmmm.....

looks like you didn't search hard enough, it's right there :
Dave Peck
Weird - the page doesn't look like that at all for me.

Edit - A-ha. You click on the three tiny lines to the LEFT of the logo at upper left. I tried clicking on the logo (and everything else).
ExtrasensoryPerception
At least there's contact info!

thanks! i'll reach out next time im in the area and report back smile

Dave Peck wrote:
Weird - the page doesn't look like that at all for me.

Edit - A-ha. You click on the three tiny lines to the LEFT of the logo at upper left. I tried clicking on the logo (and everything else).
slumberjack
i always wanted to go there since i drive near by every once in a while. most of the time my 5 year old is with me, so i couldn't contemplate in there...he knows my studio and is used to play and tweak the knobs. you actually can somehow record there or even rent stuff. one of the younger major swiss alternative artists (sophie hunger - not my cup of tea) recently uses an easel borrowed from the smem trough out her new album.
drowld
The place is nice and the staff is really friendly. When you go to the playroom you can ask directly if you can visit the 'museum' and they usually let people do it.

Btw the playroom isnt soundproofed because you use headphones when in the playroom. Also it's a place which would be hard to soundproof and correct with the material used for the walls/ground.
chiasticon
how many full-time techs would they need to employ to make sure everything is functioning at all times? hmmm.....
h4ndcrafted
Sir Ruff wrote:
I find places like these really depressing. Their current ambitions for making a more functionable and accessible space are good, but synthesizer museums based on somebody’s collection never seem destined to succeed. And in the meantime you have things, including doubles (or more) of things, sitting unused :(

You can rent them for ‘reasonable’ prices, go towards the end of the video wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1