MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla dynamics manager or mixer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla dynamics manager or mixer?
mousegarden
I'm having trouble finishing my Buchla case, it's a small 6 space system to go with my Easel. I realise I need a mixer, but I'm wondering if I can use the Quad Dynamics Manager as a mixer? I've got a few audio sources, two oscillators, quad function (loop mode) and I don't want to loose the LPG functionality of the Dynamics manager in mixer duties. But a mixer, and the Dynamics seems like a bit of an overkill in a 6 space.
Default1
Yes. Can absolutely use QDM as a mixer. As long as you don't require panning.
ArguZ
Yes, you could for example use two channels as lpG , feed back the single outs into the other ins and use the other two in pot mode to further adjust the level.
Or you look into the h series and get a 292h and a hMM

https://buchla.com/292h-dual-lowpass-gate/
https://northernlightmodular.com/product/morphing-mixer-model-hmm/
elmerfudd
Having been there a few times. Get a 207e!! Your lpg is always more valuable for other things. The 207 has a mic pre with phantom, so you can use powered contact elements. Setting up rhythmic patches and injecting kalimba or tongue drum is some of the most fun I have had with Buchla. Also allows the most flexibility between Easel and boat while giving you a master out and headphone mix. Kept avoiding it and trying different things, cause it's a lot of real estate for a mixer, but it has proven to be useful(for me).
christie
Are the other modules "e" modules? If so, don't overlook the preset management in the 206e. Are you sure the need the other sources, two oscillators in addition to the easel? That's where I'd look to save space.
Having said that, I built a single module enclosure for mine and use the same mixer for my three module lem and my Skylab Buchla.
If you don't need presets, Another (highly cost effective) possibility is to use a quality standalone mixer. $200 gets you what, 10 channels of Yamaha?
mousegarden
christie wrote:
Are the other modules "e" modules? If so, don't overlook the preset management in the 206e. Are you sure the need the other sources, two oscillators in addition to the easel? That's where I'd look to save space.
Having said that, I built a single module enclosure for mine and use the same mixer for my three module lem and my Skylab Buchla.
If you don't need presets, Another (highly cost effective) possibility is to use a quality standalone mixer. $200 gets you what, 10 channels of Yamaha?

Hi all, so I can use an external mixer to mix audio straight out of say, an oscillator or the dynamics manager? If that's the case a 292h is going to be fine, I've cut it down to 4 spaces, with just one oscillator, I don't want to go beyond this, otherwise it'll be like Eurorack, and lethally financially devastating.

jimfowler
CV panning is awesome. Just saying.
Vatican2
Get a Knas Quad Massager!
christie
Yes, an external mixer will work fine. You will need to make tinijax to 1/4" or whatever audio cables.

No, you won't have cv control over panning, and you won't be able to take advantage of the preset management capabilities of all of your "e" modules.

But yes, you will (temporarily at least!) avoid Buchla induced financial disaster.
christie
I'll bet a dollar that you quickly want more functions though.

What about this:

267e (has filters) - 259e - 281e - 292e

And an affordable outboard mixer?
Default1
christie wrote:

What about this:

I definitely second the idea of using an outboard mixer for the moment. I am at 14 panels of 200e, and still no buchla mixer (though that will likely change this year as funds permit).

I personally would go with the following:

267e - for reason Christie said above
259e - my favourite oscillator. Can sound sweet or harsh depending on mood
281e - the ability to chain together pulses to create a complex repeating rhythm, multiple LFOs, complex envelope generators make this one of the reasons Buchla is special, and its heaps of fun.
292e - coz you get the gates, and then you can use left over channels to mix.

I would not get the blanaced frequency modulator at this stage. It does some cool stuff (the stereo effect when you pan hard right and left up and down frequencies is super cool, and I am listening to mine right now), but it just doesn't have the varied utility of the above modules.

The 259, 281 and 292 are such staples of Buchla, that if you ever decide to go full on 200e, you already have most of the basic building blocks. Just my 2c. cool
ryangaston
fwiw, i'm with christie and default1—they picked out exactly what i would in this situation. but you'er gonna have a blast no matter what smile
mousegarden
christie wrote:

What about this:

Hi, many thanks, I didn't ant to have a typical filter in there, I love the fact that the sounds I'm getting with my Easel aern't anywhere near like I was getting with my Euro, simply because the temptation to use filter sweeps isn't there. But, I am getting two functions in one module, and the Uncertainty module may be overkill from what I've heard.
Apart from that I'll take your advice, the 259e will be a great compliment to my Easels complex oscillator, and I won't loose all those lovely LPG's!
And you're right, I'll have a good basis to build upon if I decide to go bigger.

mousegarden
I've expanded my boat to 6 spaces, I must have that pitch shifter, it's not an option, the trouble I'm having is actually going out and buying this stuff, I'm scared I may outgrow a 6 space boat, and it may be false economy, and I may be better off getting a 12 space for future expansion, it's very difficult to make a decision here, it's all about commitment to cost, if I get a small boat it's a self imposed restriction, a big one is committing to serious expenditure.
jimfowler
I started at 4u and now I'm up to 30u! It's such an awesome sonic ecosystem...I'd definitely give yourself a little (or a lot) of room to grow.

- Jim
jo__dem
get rid of that easel and get a proper 12u screaming goo yo
mutierend
I started with an Easel and now I have 26U (an 18U and an 8U). I never use the Easel anymore.
Default1
Also... don't worry about the filters making your Buchla sound like other synths - they won't. The bandpass filters do have an unusual character that doesn't sound like most other synths.
mousegarden
I don't want to get caught up in a Euro-like rabbit hole, I like my Easel for what it is, if I had a big Buchla I wouldn't sell my Easel, it's too useful.
The good thing about a 200e system is that there are a finite number of modules that I would actually use, and financial constraints would stop me buying things "just to try out" In fact I think I'd have a problem populating anything bigger than a 12 space boat.
If I build a 6 space system I'll include the Filter/Random, but if I decide to get a bigger case this is it...but this would need serious thinking about and financial commitment.
Sorry to keep posting pictures, but it's good to get feedback.

mutierend
266e + 267e is an interesting approach.
mousegarden
mutierend wrote:
266e + 267e is an interesting approach.

I could swap out the 267e for a 257e, I've already got the Spectral Processor which is more than enough for filter duties. The 296e is a must have, it's just incredible.
Default1
I was just about to write that you could swap out the 267e for one of the control voltage processors. That would indeed make a nice balanced system.

Just, again my experience, but I recently had to toss up between a 257e or a 256e. I went with the 257e. I now wonder if I should have got the 256e, as I would really appreciate the ability to fade in and fade out control voltages dynamically. In other words, the ability to have voltage control over your control voltages is super cool.
mousegarden
Default1 wrote:
I was just about to write that you could swap out the 267e for one of the control voltage processors. That would indeed make a nice balanced system.

Just, again my experience, but I recently had to toss up between a 257e or a 256e. I went with the 257e. I now wonder if I should have got the 256e, as I would really appreciate the ability to fade in and fade out control voltages dynamically. In other words, the ability to have voltage control over your control voltages is super cool.

Thanks, yes, my first idea was to get the 256 instead of the 267, you've just confirmed that. I think the idea of restricting myself to a 4 or 6 space boat would be terrible, now I've discovered how amazing Buchla actually is I should have moved to it sooner. It's a no brainer for those who want to explore unknown territory, and want an instrument that actually encourages them to do that.
missingtwin
Some sort of CV processor is essential.

I had the 257e, 256e, and the 254e.
Sold the 257e very quickly. It was just not going to work for me.
The 256e has the break points which are super. It can be a CV VCA
and this is an essential function of any system.
But the 256e can’t process pulses accurately.

The studio h 254e is my favorite control voltage processor.
It doesn’t have the breakpoints but it is just so flexible. I use it
in every patch.
It can cross fade, be a vca, it can process cv and pulses, and so much more.
My favorite patch is to mix streams of cv with pulse streams dynamically crossfade between this, all fed to the low pass gate. It’s one of the most dynamic and expressive sounds I’ve ever heard coming out of my system.
mousegarden
missingtwin wrote:
Some sort of CV processor is essential.

I had the 257e, 256e, and the 254e.
Sold the 257e very quickly. It was just not going to work for me.
The 256e has the break points which are super. It can be a CV VCA
and this is an essential function of any system.
But the 256e can’t process pulses accurately.

The studio h 254e is my favorite control voltage processor.
It doesn’t have the breakpoints but it is just so flexible. I use it
in every patch.
It can cross fade, be a vca, it can process cv and pulses, and so much more.
My favorite patch is to mix streams of cv with pulse streams dynamically crossfade between this, all fed to the low pass gate. It’s one of the most dynamic and expressive sounds I’ve ever heard coming out of my system.

I looked at the Studio H, amazing, but I'm definitely going to get a 256, depends on how much space I have left! At least with Buchla you do reach an end point, OK, an expensive one, but it's not like Euro, completely open ended.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1