MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a legend is back...System-700 in eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author a legend is back...System-700 in eurorack
Modulart_JP
wendallsan wrote:
Will you be sharing your build notes somewhere soon, as it sounds like PCBs are shipping?

The documentation will be available for download on the PCB's pages in my shop.
I'm almost finished and everything should be online by the end of week.

Quote:
Just seeing this thread.

Will these modules be available again?

I have ordered a few extra PCB's and panels.
Therefore, if some of you missed the pre-order campaign, you have a second chance.
But your order will ship after I have shipped all pre-orders first.
wendallsan
Excellent and thanks!

I hope a second run of the PBC's and faceplates will be available at a later date. I've always wanted a system 700 (who of us here have not?) and hoped to pick up ~35 more modules to make that happen if my 1st couple came together well. I don't want to put in that order until I'm confident that this is something I can actually do 1st, which probably means it's a month or two off at least.
Modulart_JP
wendallsan wrote:
Excellent and thanks!

I hope a second run of the PBC's and faceplates will be available at a later date. I've always wanted a system 700 (who of us here have not?) and hoped to pick up ~35 more modules to make that happen if my 1st couple came together well. I don't want to put in that order until I'm confident that this is something I can actually do 1st, which probably means it's a month or two off at least.

Take your time, follow the build notes that I will upload soon and feel free to ask any question if in doubt, and everything should go well.
thumbs up

I found a few errors in the BOM's and I updated them.
They should be error free now.
SlayerBadger!
wendallsan
Modulart_JP wrote:

I found a few errors in the BOM's and I updated them.
They should be error free now.
SlayerBadger!

Checked the BOM for 716 and 709-- relieved to see the only difference is LESS parts for the 709, which is great as I had already ordered the electronics bits.

Looking forward to seeing those build notes! Keep up the excellent work!
Modulart_JP
Almost done with the build notes.
But you know how it is...It always takes longer than expected.

Don't expect too much of build notes for the 716 and 709 modules.
They both are very simple and straight forward with only a handful of parts and no calibration needed.
wendallsan
Modulart_JP wrote:
Don't expect too much of build notes for the 716 and 709 modules. They both are very simple and straight forward with only a handful of parts and no calibration needed.

This is actually great to hear, as these will be my 1st eurorack builds. Sure, a rack with an S&H and a mixer in it will not be terribly exciting, but I wanted to make sure I started easy and worked up from there. I figured the multi was TOO easy, though. sad banana

Keep up the excellent work! I look forward to a successful build and a larger order after my initial success.
Modulart_JP
Done...
The build notes are now available for download on the PCB pages.
There is none for the 710 and 716 modules.
SlayerBadger!
wendallsan
My boards have arrived! Time to build! It's peanut butter jelly time!
wendallsan
And BOOM. Done! The switch I got for the S&H doesn't fit the PCB, so I'll need to get a different sized one for the job, and the knob is obviously bigger than it ought to be. Otherwise I'm feeling accomplished, and realizing I probably should have ordered more than just these 2 modules ...

Modulart_JP
Wow ! That was quick !
applause

As for the parts footprint, I always recommend to wait for the PCB's before ordering the parts.
Or you can always ask me...

The knobs diameter should be 16mm at most for the small ones and 20mm for the big ones.

Important notice !!!
One batch of 705 Dual ADSR PCB's was mistakenly made with an older version of the PCB files that contain errors. very frustrating
I don't know how many of them were sent and I don't know who to...
we're not worthy
Just realized that today after building one for a customer.

If you have not built your module(s) yet, contact me and I'll let you know how to check if you have a bad board or not.
If you already have built your module(s) and the ADSR-2 does not work, contact me and I'll tell you how to fix it.
Luckily it's an easy fix.
wendallsan
Many things were learned during the build-- ordering parts after PCB arrives is on that list now. The knob and switch I got will eventually go into something, I'm sure!

Bolstered by this success, I just ordered 13 more modules in an attempt to build a copy of the System 700 "Block 1". Should be an exciting fall! I see that a couple of the more complex PCB's use a SMD part or two, that will be a first for me but doesn't seem too bad after watching some Youtube videos on the subject. Should I pull this off, there are of course 5 more "Blocks" after that if I'm not burned out by then!
Dead Banana
Modulart_JP
The 707 Amplifier/Envelope Follower/Integrator is now available.
PCB's, panels as well as assembled modules are in the shop already.
On the PCB page, the BOM, a DXF file if you want to make your own panel and the calibration procedure are available for download.

Also, it seems people have a hard time to source 2MA 16mm pots.
If so, check out my shop.
I am out of stock right now but I should have them back in stock by the end of the week.

702 and 703C build notes have been updated.
wendallsan
Modulart_JP wrote:
The 707 Amplifier/Envelope Follower/Integrator is now available.
PCB's, panels as well as assembled modules are in the shop already.

Wow that was fast! You seem to design these units as quickly as I'm building them. applause

Modulart_JP wrote:
Also, it seems people have a hard time to source 2MA 16mm pots.
If so, check out my shop.

And yes that 2MA 16mm pot has been tricky to find for me here in the US, along with the 50KA Dual 9mm pot used on the 703F and the 500ohm trimmer used on the 702. I am fairly sure I've managed to source everything else to put together the modules I've ordered so far. Perhaps if others are also having a hard time with these bits you could add them to your store as well. Let me know if you could possibly sell me those bits and I'll make payment accordingly-- I know I'll be ordering the 707 PCB+plate and the 2MA pot in the very least in the next week or so (I currently need 3 500 ohm trims and 1 50KA Dual 9mm pot).

And here I thought I wouldn't need to put in another order from you for a few months until I was ready to build more System 700 "Blocks" (the VCO bank aka "Block 4" was next on my todo list).

Mr. Green
wendallsan
PS-- I don't see a faceplate or full assembled modules for the 707 in your store at the moment, just in case you haven't turned those products "on" in your online store software or something.

Mr. Green
Modulart_JP
wendallsan wrote:
PS-- I don't see a faceplate or full assembled modules for the 707 in your store at the moment, just in case you haven't turned those products "on" in your online store software or something.

No, they are.
Just need to take a couple of pictures this week end.

You can find the 500 Ohm trimmers on Mouser.
This one will do:
https://www.mouser.jp/ProductDetail/Bourns/3362P-1-501LF?qs=sGAEpiMZZM vygUB3GLcD7iDNlz%2FNDKompMEyhqEJhVo%3D

The 2MA pots are back in stock.

As for the dual 50KA, I'm afraid your only option is Thonk.
wendallsan
I was able to find the 707 complete unit and faceplate products by paging through the products, but they were not showing via your search engine when searching for '707', which was why I had assumed they were not there.

Also great to hear that the 2MA pot is in stock, I'll be getting some of those. Finally, thanks for letting me know the dual pots could be obtained through Thonk and for the link to the trimpots on Mouser-- I don't know why I can never find things on my own when I try to look for them on that site, I guess it is just too big for me to fathom.
screaming goo yo

Looks like I can add your excellent 707 module to my project with just a couple more orders to various suppliers rather than 4+ due to having some extras on hand from building your other 700 modules, which is great! Glad I over-stocked a little bit.

Would this Mouser product be a reasonable part for the DPDT on-on-on switch used in the 707?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/T211STKCQE?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiFEp I%252BRR%252BMvzKCEmf8yZdVNise89%2FpMXFRPzeLiLesKRADhybY%252B0MMDXNe9C dQ3F4%3D

Thank you again for your sage advice and expertise.
Modulart_JP
wendallsan wrote:

Would this Mouser product be a reasonable part for the DPDT on-on-on switch used in the 707?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/T211STKCQE?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiFEp I%252BRR%252BMvzKCEmf8yZdVNise89%2FpMXFRPzeLiLesKRADhybY%252B0MMDXNe9C dQ3F4%3D

Looks like it would do.
The footprint seems to match.
But...
It is non-stocked.
You better stick to the reference I give in the BOM: Multicomp 2MD6T1B5M2RE
It is available in the USA at Newark:
https://www.newark.com/multicomp/2md6t1b5m2re/switch-toggle-dpdt-100ma -20v/dp/95M1947?ost=2MD6T1B5M2RE&ddkey=https%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2F search
Modulart_JP
I made a new revision of the 706 LFO.
The main difference being that it is possible to adjust the SQU wave now.
For those who have the 1st version, if you want to mod your module(s) to the 2nd revision, contact me and I'll let you know how.

713 Gate Delay module coming soon...
LektroiD
Hi, I have two modules not working as expected... Both appear to have locked frequency.

1st module (703C multimode filter):
* Green LED stays lit no matter which mode the filter is in.
* Audio is present, but sweeping the frequency does nothing, adjusting the trimmers does not shift the frequency and sending CV does nothing either.
* Mode switch sounds like it is going through low/band/hipass, as the sound becomes thinner as I switch through the modes.

Please note: Electrolytic caps are mounted on the reverse side of the PCB due to height restrictions, polarity has been checked

2nd module (711 Phaser):
* Audio is present but the frequency is locked.
* Tested the LFO circuit, and it is working ok.
* I used an old stock 2SC1000, not the 2SC1740 (awaiting arrival of 1740's).

Modulart_JP
Did you calibrate the modules ?
They won't work properly if not calibrated...

Quote:

Guess is you're using the wrong 4001 reference.
Please refer to the BOM.
For this particular component, the suffix is important.
LektroiD
Modulart_JP wrote:
Did you calibrate the modules ?
They won't work properly if not calibrated...
Quote:

Guess is you're using the wrong 4001 reference.
Please refer to the BOM.
For this particular component, the suffix is important.

Hi, and thanks for your reply. As I mentioned above, adjusting the trimmers does nothing, so it's impossible to calibrate until I get the fault sorted.

I used a CD4001UBE, as per BoM.

The fault appears to be the same on both modules.

I really appreciate you taking the time to me help out with this smile
ringroad1
Just in terms of narrowing down the problem or ruling things out, and presuming the numbering is the same as the original, then on the phaser it might be worth checking that you’ve got some audio input at R55/IC9C input. If there’s something there, but nothing at output of IC9B then there’s something wrong inbetween.

On the VCF it’s worth checking to see if the voltage varies at pin 6 of IC7, at base of Q1, and then it should probably vary a little bit on the collector of Q2 (the 733). Looks like you’re using Rochester 3080s, they should be ok.

On my versions of the 700 boards I had a load of strife with the LED level indicators. I’m sure this is just because I initially got that part of the circuit slightly wrong, but personally I’d whip the 4001s out until you’ve got the main part of the circuit working.

I'd get my versions out and give you some readings to check for but I'm not at home atm, hope you get it sorted.
LektroiD
ringroad1 wrote:
Just in terms of narrowing down the problem or ruling things out, and presuming the numbering is the same as the original, then on the phaser it might be worth checking that you’ve got some audio input at R55/IC9C input. If there’s something there, but nothing at output of IC9B then there’s something wrong inbetween.

On the VCF it’s worth checking to see if the voltage varies at pin 6 of IC7, at base of Q1, and then it should probably vary a little bit on the collector of Q2 (the 733). Looks like you’re using Rochester 3080s, they should be ok.

On my versions of the 700 boards I had a load of strife with the LED level indicators. I’m sure this is just because I initially got that part of the circuit slightly wrong, but personally I’d whip the 4001s out until you’ve got the main part of the circuit working.

I'd get my versions out and give you some readings to check for but I'm not at home atm, hope you get it sorted.

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I cannot see an IC9 on the PCB and the resistor locators are not on the silkscreen (also I can't see under the resistors to check I have the correct values). The only schematics I can find for a System 700 are barely legible, even then, I could not locate an IC9... Would it be possible to upload the schematics you are reading from, or give me the Pharmasonic part and pin numbers to check?

Many thanks

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to get a silkscreen overlay from Pharmasonic for each of the two boards, so I can double check the resistor values are correct?
filterstein
There are photo's of all the boards, just go to the corresponding pcb in the shop. For the filter:

https://www.pharmasonic.jp/shop/index.php?id_product=187&controller=pr oduct
LektroiD
filterstein wrote:
There are photo's of all the boards, just go to the corresponding pcb in the shop. For the filter:

https://www.pharmasonic.jp/shop/index.php?id_product=187&controller=pr oduct

Other than the visibility of the component values, I don't trust the photos of the boards too much, some of the ones I saw are older revisions which have different component values. That said, I've already compared the phaser board and it seems I have the resistors correct. The filter boards are too hard to make out. Something like this would be helpful...

http://www.yusynth.net/Modular/Commun/MOOGVCF/Moogfilter-silk2.gif
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4