MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV-sequencer that can skip (mute) steps
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CV-sequencer that can skip (mute) steps
Andy137
Is there affordable CV-sequencer that can skip or mute the steps, I mean, I need signal on 2nd and 11th step only and other steps must be silent. Sorry for silly question.
euromorcego
with a cv sequencer a step cannot be "silent". There is always a voltage. If you 'mute' it might jump to 0 Volt ... but this would not necessarily sound nice if you modulate something. You might as well put the knob to zero.

There are a few cv sequencer that can skip a step, including very affordable ones .... if you diy have a look at: http://www.razmasynth.com/io/VIII.html

Check modulargrid for other choices.
neuroportal
Korg SQ1

If you are using Gate, you can turn the gate for that step off. If you aren't using gate for triggering an envelope into a VCA or filter, then it will still play.

Not Eurorack but a damn handy and cheap.
JES
Not cheap but the Five12 Vector Sequencer does this.
jbrandtp
Maybe you could send the cv-sequence through a sample and hold, and trigger the S&H on the steps you want with a gate-sequencer?
mosorensen
Just to echo euromorcego, it is not really meaningful to talk about muting a CV sequencer to skip steps.

A CV sequencer always outputs a voltage. The voltage may be zero, it may be positive, but it cannot be nothing ("floating"). Outputting zero volts is very different from being muted.

Mostly, "muting steps" means that the sequencer outputs both a CV and a trigger (or gate), and the trigger can be muted on some steps (but not the CV).

If that's what you are after, then most sequencers can do that. I have Tirana II, Rene2, NerdSeq. They all output both triggers and CVs, and they can all mute the triggers on selected steps in different ways.
Zymos
Skipping a step and muting a step are 2 different things, for the first the sequence skips over the step, for the second, it plays that step but doesn't send out a gate.
insoul8
I feel like the concept of untethering the note value/cv from the gate/trigger was one of the harder concepts to infer when first starting out with modular. You take for granted what a more traditional sequencer is actually doing behind the scenes. But, when you understand this, it becomes a much more flexible tool.
knifey
+1 for the Korg SQ-1.

For a not-cheap solution, the new Pioneer Toraiz Squid is actually amazing. Can turn active steps on and off on the fly, and direction changes are all on the panel. It's a really, really sick sequencer.
Agawell
insoul8 wrote:
I feel like the concept of untethering the note value/cv from the gate/trigger was one of the harder concepts to infer when first starting out with modular. You take for granted what a more traditional sequencer is actually doing behind the scenes. But, when you understand this, it becomes a much more flexible tool.

absolutely, most "traditional" sequencers lock the gate and pitch information together - if you think of "traditional" as midi/daw sequencing

this is probably for 2 reasons - it works the same as a keyboard, where you select the pitch and gate at the same time by pressing a key - so it's simple for most people to understand - and it's simpler, and therefore cheaper, to implement

it's pretty easy to get the untethering of pitch and gate if you play any fretted or bowed and most woodwind/brass* instruments, where you select the pitch with say one hand and trigger with the other (or select pitch with both hands and trigger with your breath)

I'd have thought most eurorack sequencers can do this

*at a very simplistic level
mritenburg
If you rely on the trigger output of your sequencer to trigger an envelope which opens a vca to turn on a note, any sequencer with per stage trigger settings can be used to do what you want. There are tons of sequencers that do exactly this.
bedhed3000
Quote:
I need signal on 2nd and 11th step only

Yeah, I think if you clarify what you mean by "signal" it would be a lot easier to help. Do you mean you need the CV value to change only on the 2nd and 11th? Or do you need a note to play only on the 2nd and 11th?
If it is the former, then jbrandtp would be correct - use a sample and hold. If it is the latter , then basically every one else is correct when they say that any sequencer that combines CV/Gate already does this.
Robrecht
The sequenced gates don't even need to come from the same module as the sequenced CV. A very basic CV sequencer receiving a clock signal could control an oscilllator's pitch, while a gate signal from a different module, perhaps a euclidean rhythm generator receiving the same clock signal, controls the VCA. That way you can have a sequence with rests even if your CV sequencer itself doesn't have a note muting/skipping function.
Andy137
bedhed3000 wrote:
Quote:
I need signal on 2nd and 11th step only

Yeah, I think if you clarify what you mean by "signal" it would be a lot easier to help. Do you mean you need the CV value to change only on the 2nd and 11th? Or do you need a note to play only on the 2nd and 11th?
If it is the former, then jbrandtp would be correct - use a sample and hold. If it is the latter , then basically every one else is correct when they say that any sequencer that combines CV/Gate already does this.

I mean notes on, for example, 2nd and 11th steps
Agawell
ok so you want at least a 16 step cv and trigger sequencer and you want it to be affordable

depends on your definition of affordable but it definitely wont be cheap!!

there are a minimum of 16 pots/knobs and 16 switches - and there will probably be a microprocessor and a maybe 1 or 2 other ics that are relatively expensive (that's probably at least 50€ of parts for your average eurorack company - if you bought the pots/knobs/switches yourself you'd be closer to 100€, probably more) + pcb and panel (let's say 10€) then it's got to be built, tested, probably programmed, marketed, shipped to dealers, dealers profit margin, tax etc to take into account before the company makes any moeny for designing and building the module) so I'd expect upwards of 500€ for a built module

doepfer do a 8 step sequencer that can be chained - you'd need 2 of these plus the controller and iirc a sequential switch is a great idea for getting the most out of this - so you can switch between the 2 sets of knobs to double the length of the cv sequence

analogue solutions do the oberkorn which may actually be ideal for you

just go to modulargrid and search on sequencers and reject anything that has less than 16 steps and doesn't have anyway of selecting which gates are triggered
rosten
hold on. Ornament and Crime (Sequins app) can definitely do what OP is looking for. Actually it can do it twice over (sequencing 2 tracks of cv and 2 tracks of gates, each up to 16 steps). It just uses two rotary encoders for dialing in values but it is pretty intuitive. I think you can get one for around $250, cheaper used. There may well be much cheaper options than that.
bedhed3000
Pico SEQ would be a good fit, I think. You can pull one off the the used market for around $100 usually. If you can spend a bit more, try Copper Traces Seek.
Andy137
bedhed3000 wrote:
Pico SEQ would be a good fit, I think. You can pull one off the the used market for around $100 usually. If you can spend a bit more, try Copper Traces Seek.

Is this module useful for live performance?
Andy137
I found Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis very interesting CV-sequencer. But there's no gates. What if get it through Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms gates?
Robrecht
Andy137 wrote:
I found Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis very interesting CV-sequencer. But there's no gates. What if get it through Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms gates?

I have neither of those modules, but that sounds like it should work. Just feed them both with the same clock signal like I suggested above, and send the audio from the oscillator pitched by Mimetic Digitalis through a VCA controlled by Circadian Rhythms. That will allow you to insert rests (muted/skipped notes).

Clock
>> Mimetic Digitalis >> VCO pitch
>> Circadian Rhythm >> VCA gate

When creating a sequence, I would suggest setting the Mimetic Digitalis up with a string of notes that all sound good together, even for the notes where you're planning to have rests. Then, "sculpt" that melody by inserting rests (muting notes) using Circadian Rhythms. During performance, you can then selectively unmute/mute notes to change things up.
brandonlogic
if you're not on a tight budget, look into these super nice power sequencers:
FLXS1, NERDSEQ, ELOQUENCER
all super powerful sequencers that do what you are looking to do quite simply.
nostalghia
Andy137 wrote:

Anyone interested in adding a "gates only" sequencer (to supplement a sequencer with CV only, to have a way to more flexibly and quickly access gate steps independent of their main sequencer) should check out the Intellijel Steppy.

4 tracks with 1-64 steps each, variable gate lengths per track, clock division per track, live tap or step recording, ratcheting, looping, etc.
Smaller (8hp) and less expensive than something like Circadian which is oriented more towards complex drum/rhythm pattern programming where more than 4 tracks are needed.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-steppy

Andy137
Robrecht wrote:
Andy137 wrote:

I have neither of those modules, but that sounds like it should work. Just feed them both with the same clock signal like I suggested above, and send the audio from the oscillator pitched by Mimetic Digitalis through a VCA controlled by Circadian Rhythms. That will allow you to insert rests (muted/skipped notes).

Clock
>> Mimetic Digitalis >> VCO pitch
>> Circadian Rhythm >> VCA gate

When creating a sequence, I would suggest setting the Mimetic Digitalis up with a string of notes that all sound good together, even for the notes where you're planning to have rests. Then, "sculpt" that melody by inserting rests (muting notes) using Circadian Rhythms. During performance, you can then selectively unmute/mute notes to change things up.

Thank you for idea. Inspiring.
mosorensen
Using different sequencers for CVs and triggers is an excellent idea. Then run them at different speeds, out of sync, for true modular mayhem. smile
loopt
René V1 can do this too.
Quite affordable these days.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2